Turn on thread page Beta

If you had £100MM what would you invest in? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    - Comfortable house, car, education etc
    - Programs, memberships, DVDs, electronics and that stuff
    - What's left I'll invest in business and projects I like (including my own).

ReputationRep:
    i would buy zac efron

ReputationRep:
    £40m - emerging markets equities, partly BRIC countries but diversified into countries like Korea and Singapore as well
    £40m - developed markets equities
    £20m - bonds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alpha2010)
    No the question is related to financial markets and private equity. Thus, take out all of the entrepreneurial startups etc - and go into the mindset that you are a fund manager for a hedge fund with $100MM capital that invests within equities, commodities, credit, OTC, etc etc. No personal expenditure such as buying a yacht etc etc.
    out of interest, if you had a choice between those 2 paths, which one would you take? personally if i had 100mm id enter the entertainment industry with friends, try go international (15 cities)..only then diversify into financial advisory, consultancy & venture capital. Not a fan of commodities, credit, OTC etc trading.

ReputationRep:
    umm 1/4 in real estate, an the rest towards buying an oil tanker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    out of interest, if you had a choice between those 2 paths, which one would you take? personally if i had 100mm id enter the entertainment industry with friends, try go international (15 cities)..only then diversify into financial advisory, consultancy & venture capital. Not a fan of commodities, credit, OTC etc trading.
    I would say the entrepreneurship route is quite risky but obviously the higher risk is rewarded with higher returns.

I was just interested to see what people on this forum would do if they were fund managers (who obviously can't undertake such things as starting an entertainment company). When they are interviewing in the future with GS, MS, JPM, CS etc.. and they get asked this question, they'll be kicking themselves they didn't contribute properly to this forum.

ReputationRep:
    lol at the people spending it on themselves. Can you not see what forum it's in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alpha2010)
    I would say the entrepreneurship route is quite risky but obviously the higher risk is rewarded with higher returns.

I was just interested to see what people on this forum would do if they were fund managers (who obviously can't undertake such things as starting an entertainment company). When they are interviewing in the future with GS, MS, JPM, CS etc.. and they get asked this question, they'll be kicking themselves they didn't contribute properly to this forum.
    I assume ppl interested in IBD wont be asked such questions right? Would saying which area you'd focus on in equities and OTC but then mentioning that HF isnt something which interests you be a reasonable answer or would you still be expected to have a much better indepth grasp?

ReputationRep:
    Become a 'high net worth individual' at goldman sachs and have them invest it.

ReputationRep:
    Some Chinese company which will quadruple its profits in the next few days.

I'm not telling you who though

ReputationRep:
    *****es and cars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    I assume ppl interested in IBD wont be asked such questions right? Would saying which area you'd focus on in equities and OTC but then mentioning that HF isnt something which interests you be a reasonable answer or would you still be expected to have a much better indepth grasp?
    No no, you will definitely be asked this. I have had 3 interviews and 3 offers, and each company asked this question. With regard to knowledge or how in depth you should go - I am not sure - I started off being vague then most of them asked further questions and started to probe at my reasoning. I think you should always mention diversification, then relate the asset classes that you want to be invested in to some recent news article, such as going short on the Euro due to the issues in Greece at the minute and sovereign debt. This shows you are on top of the news and can formulate strategies around it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Some Chinese company which will quadruple its profits in the next few days.

I'm not telling you who though
    errmmmmm surely you should...?

If you're invested in it, then get the interweb too that increases the value of your holding, which will increase again in a few days.

No?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finbar21)
    invest it all in what ever Warren Buffett is investing in currently.
    Cheaper just to buy shares in BH surely... Or are the denominations in billions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    errmmmmm surely you should...?

If you're invested in it, then get the interweb too that increases the value of your holding, which will increase again in a few days.

No?
    Yes I would but I don't have £100m do I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Yes I would but I don't have £100m do I?
    I assumed you had some in...
    What does it matter if you have a grand or 100m

(just curious, I wouldn't take a tip off an internet randomer, just seemed odd)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I assumed you had some in...
    What does it matter if you have a grand or 100m

(just curious, I wouldn't take a tip off an internet randomer, just seemed odd)
    The more money you invest the bigger your profit, and I don't even have £1,000 to spare :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horizontal 8)
    Let me guess... u did your amazing graph analysis?
    lol joking

In response to the thread, I'd just have a very enjoyable time contacting BoA global wealth and investment management
    Gay fag is gay lol,

fyi ----> European Goldfields, for the WINNNNNNN!

ReputationRep:
    Thermonuclear warhead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GBS)
    Gay fag is gay lol,

fyi ----> European Goldfields, for the WINNNNNNN!

OK I forgive you for selling RBS

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.