Turn on thread page Beta

I got followed home and I'm scared! watch

ReputationRep:
    I just got home from the shop. I walked down the road and I was in Marks and Spencers when this big man was all like 'oh beautiful' and then saying 'you're so pretty, you really caught my eye' and stuff and asking me where I worked. So I just said thanks and walked away and left the shop quickly, it's not the first time so I thought that that would be it he would leave me alone because I was clearly not that interested.

BUT THEN I was a bit further up the street when I turned round and saw that he was following me and then he caught up with me and carried on with the 'you're so pretty', 'you have everything', 'you have such a nice figure' etc. etc. so I was just like oh that's kind and trying to walk away and he was saying 'why are you walking so fast, are you in a rush' so I was like 'yeah' and then he was like 'I really like you, I really like you' and 'I like you as a friend because you're so pretty' so I was like 'thanks but I've got a boyfriend', then he asked me my name so I gave him a fake name and then he kept saying how much he liked me and just kept following me and asking what he should do now because he liked me so much. Then he asked for my number so I just gave him a fake number in the hope that he would leave me alone. So then he hung back and I walked ahead and I thought I'd gotten rid of him!

BUT THEN I went into the sainsburys near where I live and about 2 minutes later he walks in! He obviously thought I hadn't seen him and tried to go and hide at the back of the shop so I left the que to find him and I was like 'what are you doing here' and he couldn't really think of an answer he was just kind of like 'erm just buying something' and then he pointed at the sprinkles! THE SPRINKLES! So I think that was a lie. So then I went back to the que and he followed so I asked him 'are you following me?' and he said 'no, no I haven't got time for that, I just er have another job around here' and kind of waved in the other direction. Pretty sure that was a lie too. So then he went back to lurking at the back of the shop. I paid really quickly and ran home which is just around the corner. I don't know whether he followed me all the way home, I don't think so and I really hope not

It really scared me. I didn't know what he was going to do! What about if he is hanging around outside or if he just generally lurks around the area and I see him again?? What about if he is angry about the fake phone number?? I don't know what to do now. Should I ring the police? Or tell someone at the university since he is hanging around in the area where our accomodation is? It's kind of creepy that a man who looks about 30 would follow an 18 year old girl back to her flat like that!! But then on the other hand I do feel as though it's kind of my fault and it's not like he attacked me. I should just have told him to **** off from the beginning but I would never be brave enough to do that, and I should probably have said no when he kept asking for a phone number because that could have encouraged him but I was scared and I just wanted him to leave me alone!!

ReputationRep:
    If you're not a troll (and I highly doubt that you are not), then report him for harrassment.

ReputationRep:
    If you see him walking around your university halls then phone up the security guard and he will sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    I loved the 'SPRINKLES' bit.

ReputationRep:
    Listen flying twig

you cant let guys do that ... yes u should have told that dude to simply F off or you'll call the police right in that beginning instance.. My sister was in a sort of predicament like that and I almost chased that guy with A tool.. the whole .." ow ur pretty " and freakyness they show shouldn't be ignored.. hope ur safe and make sure there is someone u can get in contact with who could chill so ur not alone.

ReputationRep:
    I am really not trolling, this is a true story! Why is it so unbelievable??? I am looking for help, what should I do??

ReputationRep:
    Wear one of the anti-rape thing inside you that injects metal spikes into the rapist's penis once he forcefully penetrates your insides. That'll learn him.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to literally say "**** off". You say "Leave me alone. I'm not interested". If he continues to hassle you then pull out your phone and dial the non urgent number of your Constabulary which you should store on your phone. And just tell him you're calling the police.
    Another option is to walk into a shop and tell them you're being stalked. Then call the police. I would phone up the police and ask for advice on whether you need to report it.

ReputationRep:
    I see the potential start of a stalking behaviour here, but nothing that could be done by the police or any official authority. What did he do? He chatted up a grown-up girl, behaved a bit weird, tried to keep the conversation going - in a shop and on the street. And who knows, he might like chocolate.

I understand that the situation might have been scary and it's definitely unpleasant for you, but so far there's nothing you should worry about. He's probably forgot about you already.

And, yes, you shouldn't have given him a fake phone number or name, it's just rude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flying twig)
    I am really not trolling, this is a true story! Why is it so unbelievable??? I am looking for help, what should I do??
    I hate how everyone TSR jsut thinks everything is posted by a troll :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grt)
    And, yes, you shouldn't have given him a fake phone number or name, it's just rude.
    What the ****? Harassing someone in the street is ******* rude. I don't see in what sense anyone owes politeness to someone self-evidently nuts who has put you in an awkward and quite scary situation. Oh she gave a probable rapist a fake phone number because she thought that would induce him to leave her alone? How rude.

(Original post by Bobo1234)
    If you're not a troll (and I highly doubt that you are not), then report him for harrassment.
    I don't see what is particularly trollish about this story. But then calling troll is really "cool" these days isn't it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)

Why would the OP be a troll? Stuff like this happens.

OP, yeah, it happens to everyone. It really does, I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

ReputationRep:
    i bet he was black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grt)
    I see the potential start of a stalking behaviour here, but nothing that could be done by the police or any official authority. What did he do? He chatted up a grown-up girl, behaved a bit weird, tried to keep the conversation going - in a shop and on the street. And who knows, he might like chocolate.

I understand that the situation might have been scary and it's definitely unpleasant for you, but so far there's nothing you should worry about. He's probably forgot about you already.

Do not agree with this! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    i bet he was black.
    I didn't want to add that bit to his description because then instead of advice all I would get it loads of people saying 'what has his being black got to do with anything???'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    you're an idiot.
    Thanks for pointing that out. Fortunately there's a natural animosity between me and angry, unhappy souls like you.

ReputationRep:
    I party agree with grt but maybe not the fake phone number and name thing, it's not rude she was scared! Also, the reason I don't think the police can do anything about it is becaus he didn't physically do anything to you or verbally abuse you. Also, tbh I don't really trust the police a lot lately, especially after those instances where people have reported being stalked yet they don't do anything until the victim's killed! Not to scare you or anything sorry if I have. I would say, if there's anyone you know possibly a guy who looks really tall and muscley and looks potentially dangerous to to others, ask him if he can walk you home and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flying twig)
    I just got home from the shop. I walked down the road and I was in Marks and Spencers when this big man was all like 'oh beautiful' and then saying 'you're so pretty, you really caught my eye' and stuff and asking me where I worked. So I just said thanks and walked away and left the shop quickly, it's not the first time so I thought that that would be it he would leave me alone because I was clearly not that interested.

BUT THEN I was a bit further up the street when I turned round and saw that he was following me and then he caught up with me and carried on with the 'you're so pretty', 'you have everything', 'you have such a nice figure' etc. etc. so I was just like oh that's kind and trying to walk away and he was saying 'why are you walking so fast, are you in a rush' so I was like 'yeah' and then he was like 'I really like you, I really like you' and 'I like you as a friend because you're so pretty' so I was like 'thanks but I've got a boyfriend', then he asked me my name so I gave him a fake name and then he kept saying how much he liked me and just kept following me and asking what he should do now because he liked me so much. Then he asked for my number so I just gave him a fake number in the hope that he would leave me alone. So then he hung back and I walked ahead and I thought I'd gotten rid of him!

BUT THEN I went into the sainsburys near where I live and about 2 minutes later he walks in! He obviously thought I hadn't seen him and tried to go and hide at the back of the shop so I left the que to find him and I was like 'what are you doing here' and he couldn't really think of an answer he was just kind of like 'erm just buying something' and then he pointed at the sprinkles! THE SPRINKLES! So I think that was a lie. So then I went back to the que and he followed so I asked him 'are you following me?' and he said 'no, no I haven't got time for that, I just er have another job around here' and kind of waved in the other direction. Pretty sure that was a lie too. So then he went back to lurking at the back of the shop. I paid really quickly and ran home which is just around the corner. I don't know whether he followed me all the way home, I don't think so and I really hope not

It really scared me. I didn't know what he was going to do! What about if he is hanging around outside or if he just generally lurks around the area and I see him again?? What about if he is angry about the fake phone number?? I don't know what to do now. Should I ring the police? Or tell someone at the university since he is hanging around in the area where our accomodation is? It's kind of creepy that a man who looks about 30 would follow an 18 year old girl back to her flat like that!! But then on the other hand I do feel as though it's kind of my fault and it's not like he attacked me. I should just have told him to **** off from the beginning but I would never be brave enough to do that, and I should probably have said no when he kept asking for a phone number because that could have encouraged him but I was scared and I just wanted him to leave me alone!!
    Walk in public places! Keep an eye out! Pretend your having a convo on the phone with someone, your Dad or something- say "oh your gunna pick me up?" to your "Dad" quite loudly, should ward him off. Stay safe and take care! Report to the police if it gets bad, or walk with someone you know! Stay safe and take care!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Why would the OP be a troll? Stuff like this happens.
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    I don't see what is particularly trollish about this story. But then calling troll is really "cool" these days isn't it.
    Really? It doesn't even seem remotely trollish to either of you? Maybe I'm just having one of my retarded days...

BTW I don't doubt that stuff like this happens, it's just that the way the OP's post reads out, THIS seems like a troll.

ReputationRep:
    Almost the exact same thing happened to me last year. It got me paranoid for like a week afterwards! Just make sure you are not home alone it will make you feel better

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.