Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I got followed home and I'm scared! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flying twig)
    I know it wasn't the best thing to do but it seemed to work until he followed me! But the weird thing is if after I'd given him 'my' phone number he had left me alone I probably wouldn't have been that panicked. It was the fact that he KEPT ON following me! What would have happened if I had had far to walk home or I had had to walk down some quiet street or alley??? If he was interested in me, once he had my phone number that should have been enough

Anyways, in hindsight I should have been more assertive but I'm not very assertive or brave and I was scared and a bit panicked and I was just trying to do whatever I could to get him to leave me alone.

See my other post for what the police said. They obviously can't do anything, there must be thousands and thousands of men in London who fit the description and it's not like I know his name. I wouldn't want him to get in any trouble anyways I just don't want this to go any further
    I'm not accusing you of having done the wrong thing or that it would even be your fault. Because it was a creepy situation and because there wouldn't be any benefit in judging. My post above was meant to explain my original posting to the user that disagreed with my point(s) I've made.

Again, I don't think you should take it too seriously. Especially when it was on Tottenham Court Road, as there are so many people running around (including some very strange people), it's not likely that you'll see him again. And even if you do, he's most likely continued trying to find another girlfriend in the meantime.

(Original post by c0nfus3d)
    Not exactly prison, but I'm sure you would agree with people having the right to walk down the street peacefully without fear. It's clear that this girl is really scared and if the guy really liked her and had sense, I'm sure he wouldn't just stalk her and follow her around like a poodle, whilst clearly showing "stalking behaviour"!
    The problem is, he did nothing wrong in a "formal" way (based on the information we've got here). Stalking is a sensitive topic and it's hard to draw a line, but having a brief (inconvenient but peaceful) conversation and being in the same two shops on major shopping streets is far from being stalkish behaviour. Of course the OP was/is scared (I'd be, too). That's unfortunate and should not happen.

(Original post by luvursoul)
    grt give the girl a break! She did what she did
    And I didn't question this or attacked her in any way. Before doing so, I'd rather suggest to join her on the next trip to Sainsbury's or M&S (it's not even that far - and I'm not the person she's been talking about ).

ReputationRep:
    I was down tottenham court road a 5 o clock on a week day! How much more public can you get?? People were looking at us but no one did anything
    http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Page...-get-raped.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Something similar happened to me a while back, but he was much nicer, if a bit creepy.

Why would you think it's your fault though? He's the pervert for following you around, not you.
    Because I kind of encouraged him by giving him my phone number/not just shouting at him to **** off and leave me alone in the beginning. He wasn't really agressive or anything just creepy and letchy and just kept perving on me but I don't know. I didn't know whether he was just really persistant or something I didn't know whether it would be really inappropriate to just tell him to go away and as I've said I'm not that assertive. It's only after he followed me to sainsburys after I'd given him my phone number and stuff that I realised this was really creepy and weird and that maybe he was going to follow me and attack me.

Other people on here seem to think it's my fault too. Okay, I'll admit maybe I did encourage him but it was obvious I was uncomfortable. People in the street kept looking at us so I'm pretty sure it was obvious to them that I wasn't comfortable with the situation either. I wasn't exactly responsive and I think I made it clear I had no interest in him. I accept that I could have behaved differently but I am definitely not taking all the blame here, I'm not even taking the majority of the blame. He shouldn't have been following me like that when I clearly wanted him to leave me alone. It's creepy. It's the same kind of people that blame women who dress provocatively for getting raped. Are men some kind of animal who have no control over themselves????

ReputationRep:
    i knew he would be black, black guys tend to be far more sexually assertive/aggresive. Its not a bad thing, just the way it is

ReputationRep:
    Because I kind of encouraged him by giving him my phone number/not just shouting at him to **** off and leave me alone in the beginning. He wasn't really agressive or anything just creepy and letchy and just kept perving on me but I don't know. I didn't know whether he was just really persistant or something I didn't know whether it would be really inappropriate to just tell him to go away and as I've said I'm not that assertive. It's only after he followed me to sainsburys after I'd given him my phone number and stuff that I realised this was really creepy and weird and that maybe he was going to follow me and attack me.

Other people on here seem to think it's my fault too. Okay, I'll admit maybe I did encourage him but it was obvious I was uncomfortable. People in the street kept looking at us so I'm pretty sure it was obvious to them that I wasn't comfortable with the situation either. I wasn't exactly responsive and I think I made it clear I had no interest in him. I accept that I could have behaved differently but I am definitely not taking all the blame here, I'm not even taking the majority of the blame. He shouldn't have been following me like that when I clearly wanted him to leave me alone. It's creepy. It's the same kind of people that blame women who dress provocatively for getting raped. Are men some kind of animal who have no control over themselves????
    It is not your fault. At all.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grt)
    I'm not accusing you of having done the wrong thing or that it would even be your fault. Because it was a creepy situation and because there wouldn't be any benefit in judging. My post above was meant to explain my original posting to the user that disagreed with my point(s) I've made.

Again, I don't think you should take it too seriously. Especially when it was on Tottenham Court Road, as there are so many people running around (including some very strange people), it's not likely that you'll see him again. And even if you do, he's most likely continued trying to find another girlfriend in the meantime.

The problem is, he did nothing wrong in a "formal" way (based on the information we've got here). Stalking is a sensitive topic and it's hard to draw a line, but having a brief (inconvenient but peaceful) conversation and being in the same two shops on major shopping streets is far from being stalkish behaviour. Of course the OP was/is scared (I'd be, too). That's unfortunate and should not happen.

And I didn't question this or attacked her in any way. Before doing so, I'd rather suggest to join her on the next trip to Sainsbury's or M&S (it's not even that far - and I'm not the person she's been talking about ).
    How big are you? I'm not sure you'd be much use in protecting me. He was tall and quite hench. Also it wasn't a coincidence that he was in the same two shops as me. I'm quite sure he followed me into the marks and spencers as 1) he didn't buy anything, 2) he left as soon as I did, 3) he said that 'I'd caught his eye' earlier when I was walking down tottenham court road so he practically admitted he'd been following me

There are a lot of weirdos around and lot of girls in london. Hopefully he wouldn't even recognise me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walkin'Butterfly)
    It is not your fault. At all.

xxx
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Are men some kind of animal who have no control over themselves????
    Basically, yes.

How big are you? I'm not sure you'd be much use in protecting me. He was tall and quite hench. Also it wasn't a coincidence that he was in the same two shops as me. I'm quite sure he followed me into the marks and spencers as 1) he didn't buy anything, 2) he left as soon as I did, 3) he said that 'I'd caught his eye' earlier when I was walking down tottenham court road so he practically admitted he'd been following me

There are a lot of weirdos around and lot of girls in london. Hopefully he wouldn't even recognise me
    Obviously it wasn't a coincidence - but that's what he could say and there's no evidence that he wasn't just browsing or whatever.

Hm... I'm just slightly over 6ft, but my back is quite broad

Just don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a troll for ***** sake. What is wrong with people on here?? If I was going to troll why on earth would I make this story up?? It's not even funny except for the sprinkles bit which I emphasised so people would enjoy reading it more.

And I've said giving a number was not the right thing to do but I was scared. What about if he'd gotten angry if I refused?? I just wanted to go home and have him leave me alone but he kept following me which makes me think that he wanted to do something more than just get my phone number so that he 'he could take me out and treat me like a lady'
    Well at least now you know if it happens again that it wasn't the right thing to do. I know you panicked but sometimes it's acceptable to just leave, as quickly as possible (even if it means literally running away when you feel uncomfortable!) and not saying anything at all after stating disinterest.
    You don't ever have to be polite to people like this, but being rude won't help either.
    If you bump into him again and he gives you any trouble, tell the staff in the store or call the police if you're in the street.

ReputationRep:
    Only one thing for it. Move to your aunties and uncles in Bel Air.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PBTimmeh)
    Only one thing for it. Move to your aunties and uncles in Bel Air.
    Win.

ReputationRep:
    what's a troll?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rananagirl)
    Win.
    u on tmobile babes, i wudnt mind stalking u :sexface:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.