Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Spotify vs. grooveshark watch

ReputationRep:
    Why would anyone prefer spotify to grooveshark for online music while working, etc.? Is there something I'm missing, as grooveshark seems to have loads of music, is legal, and a lot more convenient.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well spotify also has loads of music, is free and it is legal.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, Grooveshark is dead easy to use. Don't you have to download spotify to your PC? On grooveshark you can access it anywhere with t'internet.

ReputationRep:
    what about youtube

ReputationRep:
    Spotify is more similar to itunes and other media players, and you can put music on your phone/ipod etc.

ReputationRep:
    And grooveshark doesn't have those weird spoken adverts.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer Grooveshark. Just seems to have more of the music I'm looking for, no ads, browser based, all good.

ReputationRep:
    I just checked out Grooveshark, and despite it being online rather than downloadable (which is better for me as an Ubuntu user), it has nothing I *need* to hear - Spotify lets me access Spanish and Catalan artists and ALL their albums; but Grooveshark is just slightly behind it - lacks anything modern and Catalan, and has a limited selection of Spanish artists' albums.

For me, Spotify is still better...but, I can't use it as well as I could if I had Windows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DSC)
    what about youtube

lol...limited in terms of music and way behind for this purpose!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    I just checked out Grooveshark, and despite it being online rather than downloadable (which is better for me as an Ubuntu user), it has nothing I *need* to hear - Spotify lets me access Spanish and Catalan artists and ALL their albums; but Grooveshark is just slightly behind it - lacks anything modern and Catalan, and has a limited selection of Spanish artists' albums.

For me, Spotify is still better...but, I can't use it as well as I could if I had Windows.
    Your sig - Fever Ray, perchance?

Anyway I prefer Grooveshark to Spotify simply because I used it first.. that's about it really. I would have more to say if this was last.fm vs Grooveshark but that's different anyway

ReputationRep:
    I like it not being browser based? Crazy I know

ReputationRep:
    I got spotify premium the other week and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Loads of tunes, super quick, 320kbps. For the price of a few drinks out (£10) you can get a months worth of music. Also, it's good to know artists get what they're due.

ReputationRep:
    Grooveshark, but then again I only use it for the odd song im interested in - If I want something for keeps we all know where I'm gonna get it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendly_fiend2)
    I got spotify premium the other week and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Loads of tunes, super quick, 320kbps. For the price of a few drinks out (£10) you can get a months worth of music. Also, it's good to know artists get what they're due.
    I've been thinking about this possibility for a while, may well invest. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucible)
    I've been thinking about this possibility for a while, may well invest. :yep:
    Fair play. The good thing is that you only pay for each month, there's no contract.

ReputationRep:
    Grooveshark has Pink Floyd discography and spotify doesn't. Wow. spotify sucks after all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caze)
    Your sig - Fever Ray, perchance?
    What made you think that? It's just a strip from A Softer World, though I have no idea where the picture was taken or where the words came from (as is the norm with ASW).

I gave Grooveshark a bit more of a chance last night. I wasn't majorly impressed, but, I did get my fill of Dubstep but I suppose I probably could have done that with Spotify, were I able to work it on this bleedin' system.

ReputationRep:
    You've just introduced me to Grooveshark and it seems a lot better than Spotify, so far.

It's got Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan and Oasis on it !!

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    What made you think that? It's just a strip from A Softer World, though I have no idea where the picture was taken or where the words came from (as is the norm with ASW).
    I actually meant your small facebook picture - it reminded me a bit of Fever Ray - but since you didn't recognise the name I assume you have no idea what I am talking about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caze)
    I actually meant your small facebook picture - it reminded me a bit of Fever Ray - but since you didn't recognise the name I assume you have no idea what I am talking about
    I know of Fever Ray; I've just never put a face to the music. The facebook pic was just a halloween thing, since I'm a fool who puts on facepaint whenever he can. It was just meant to be a skull; had some skeleton gloves on, and a coat with buckles that was fairly long and tight. Scared the bejesus out of everyone at the party I went to, just cause I sat in the corner with a straight face not blinking. I don't do Halloween by half measures.

And with a bit of googling, I think I've found the picture you're on about - and it seems that it's a much scarier job than my poor effort.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.