Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No12345678)
    I am a first year who will be attending in September i have applied for Opal 2 deluxe room and have stated in the notes box in my application this is a big preference for me. I would just like to know if current students know the chances of getting what you want?

Thanks in advance
    There is more accommodation than students who want it so most people get want they want. Endcliffe tends to be oversubscribed, but I think you'll be fine with Opal. I suspect the deluxe rooms aren't as popular as well, so you've probably got a high chance of getting the room you want.

ReputationRep:
    Beware that Opal is crawling with dodgy people including prostitutes.

Endcliffe is expensive compared with what you should expect to pay for a house next year (I think it's over £100 per week) but it's definitely worth it for first year whilst you get your bearings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LOLBANTER)
    Beware that Opal is crawling with dodgy people including prostitutes.
    Thats aload of rubbish! I've never heard of prostitues IN opal. Outside maybe, but not as residents!

I reckon you would be quite likely to get deluxe at Opal as most people don't tend to apply for Deluxe. Also City is often less popular than the villages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    Thats aload of rubbish! I've never heard of prostitues IN opal. Outside maybe, but not as residents!

I reckon you would be quite likely to get deluxe at Opal as most people don't tend to apply for Deluxe. Also City is often less popular than the villages.
    Nono! I didn't mean in Opal lol, just in the area around Opal :P I've heard about girls getting propositioned and such sorts of things, I'd say it's a genuine concern when deciding where to live.

ReputationRep:
    As far as i'm aware, all these dodgey goings on seems to happen around the Kelham Island area, and near to Opal 3. Opal 2 (from my experience) is pretty much fine.

But don't take my word for it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies because its really starting to play on my mind a bit knowing im starting soon.

I did send my application off in March and the woman from the university said i was one of the early ones so fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shavaunt)
    As far as i'm aware, all these dodgey goings on seems to happen around the Kelham Island area, and near to Opal 3. Opal 2 (from my experience) is pretty much fine.

But don't take my word for it.
    Yeah Kelham Island isn't too nice! I once got stuck down there on my own before I realised which way I was heading and realised I needed to get out asap!

A few months ago I was standing under the sign by Broad Lane Court and a car pulled up on me and another female friend and they suggested we move as we were in a spot that a few prozzies are known to stand in (under the car park sign). And I think there are still a few that stand outside Opal 2, but mainly they have moved up to Kelham due to too many students in their old area.

ReputationRep:
    i just booked a room with opal 3 last week...only one left i did want one at opal 1 but i left it too late...

i went into opal 3 last friday...was shown around the accomodation and booked my room straight away...i did want a standard room but had to get a standard plus room i believe the rooms there will go quicker the cheaper they are...like opal 3 has no single rooms left..but then again not too sure but i just went in paid my advanced rent and ive got a place there for september now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carly.bell)
    i just booked a room with opal 3 last week...only one left i did want one at opal 1 but i left it too late...

i went into opal 3 last friday...was shown around the accomodation and booked my room straight away...i did want a standard room but had to get a standard plus room i believe the rooms there will go quicker the cheaper they are...like opal 3 has no single rooms left..but then again not too sure but i just went in paid my advanced rent and ive got a place there for september now
    Wow, they were said to have loads of empty rooms this year. Just be wary with all these companies, one of them (I can't remember who it was) was offering rooms from £70 all in a week. Fact was they had just one room at that price, the rest were more but it did entice people in.

ReputationRep:
    Have you got any specific questions? I used to work for Accomodation and Campus Services so I know a little about it all.
    I heard that they group all the gap-yearers together, while i understand the logic of this, common ground and all i'd rather not be divided from everyone else, so what would I have to do to be considered normally? (Thanks for any info.)

ReputationRep:
    I went to Leeds Met for my first year, and stayed in their Opal 3 and I was so so happy with them. The security in that place was fantastic, and the rooms were perfect - after visiting everyone else over the country in my first year, Opal really did provide the nicest halls I saw.
    I've transferred to Sheffield now and booked myself a deluxe room in Opal 3 and I'm not worried about anything with them.

In regards to prostitutes etc - living near sheffield you see the odd thing, but tbh it's like every other city. Don't walk around on your own at night (especially if you're a girl) and dont advertise your phone, mp3 etc when you're out there. You'll make lots of friends anyway so you'll never be alone =')

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Kelham Island isn't too nice! I once got stuck down there on my own before I realised which way I was heading and realised I needed to get out asap!

A few months ago I was standing under the sign by Broad Lane Court and a car pulled up on me and another female friend and they suggested we move as we were in a spot that a few prozzies are known to stand in (under the car park sign). And I think there are still a few that stand outside Opal 2, but mainly they have moved up to Kelham due to too many students in their old area.
    Hello Molly, could you tell me more about what Howden was like for your year? thank you

ReputationRep:
    I've received the email, accepted the contract, but I am yet to pay. Is there any way I can find out where I am before I pay? Just curious! Can't wait!

There is a link from my login section to a document called " Room Information Leaflet". This shows details of the Endcliffe Village. Does that mean that I'll be there?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t'economist)
    I've received the email, accepted the contract, but I am yet to pay. Is there any way I can find out where I am before I pay? Just curious! Can't wait!

There is a link from my login section to a document called " Room Information Leaflet". This shows details of the Endcliffe Village. Does that mean that I'll be there?

Thanks.

The contract should say where you have been allocated- which
    accommodation site, which building, and even the flat and room.

Double check your offer and view your contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subhano)
    The contract should say where you have been allocated- which
    accommodation site, which building, and even the flat and room.

Double check your offer and view your contract.
    Thanks. I've just checked it. I'm in the Endcliffe Village!

Is there any way of finding out how many are in your apartment?

ReputationRep:

What building are you in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cwynter)
    Hello Molly, could you tell me more about what Howden was like for your year? thank you
    Hey yes totally!

It was the best year of my life to put it simply. Loved the place to bits, my block were incredibly close went out together all the time, still do now two years later. Lots of block socials. It was close to the Edge so we went there abit, and there was so much going on.
    I want to go back and do Freshers/First year again so so much, it literally gives me butterflies in my stomach thinking about it and how amazing it was. Couldn't have had a better year in any way.

ReputationRep:

Post on here and we can probably find out for you

ReputationRep:
    Post on here and we can probably find out for you
    I'm in Apartment D1 in the Howden Block!

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seems to want to stay at Endcliffe..I'm hoping Ranmoor will be equally as good :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 25, 2010

University open days

1. University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.