Turn on thread page Beta

Who does a lot of maths but finds physics quite hard? watch

I did maths and further maths, and attempted Edexcel Salters Horners physics (attempted is a better word, since I got a D ) and I was useless! The lessons were the easiest thing ever, but I performed terribly in the exam and decided I didn't know anything after all. I just didn't know what the questions were asking me to do. I'm not blaming the textbook, but it was truly terrible.

ReputationRep:
    I find Physics comes pretty naturally. The only hard thing about it is writing legibly. I hate writing .

I find people that succeed at physics very sexy. :ninjagirl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)
    Compared to Physics at university, it's an absolute breeze. Like I said in my previous post, I got quite a high A at A Level for Physics and now in my first year of my degree, I'm finding it quite difficult and have to do soo much work =(
    oh dear ..im supposed to be doing a physics degree next year .I found maths quite easy in A level , however phsyics was a bit hard for me ( i dont know if that was because english isnt my 1st language) , but since you got a high A in physics and still find uni physics hard .. I wonder if Iam carved to be a physicist or even be doing physics at uni
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    my friends do. They do further maths too.
    although one finds physics easy and maths hard.

ReputationRep:
    mee... I don't do physics at a level or anything, but I certainly wasn't brilliant at it at GCSE.
    Oh and yeah I do maths and further maths at a level.

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard sometimes and wonder would people find it easier if you could use calculus in physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr hannibal lecter)
    oh dear ..im supposed to be doing a physics degree next year .I found maths quite easy in A level , however phsyics was a bit hard for me ( i dont know if that was because english isnt my 1st language) , but since you got a high A in physics and still find uni physics hard .. I wonder if Iam carved to be a physicist or even be doing physics at uni
    Uni Physics is primarily maths, you'll probably be quite suited to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    I find it hard sometimes and wonder would people find it easier if you could use calculus in physics?
    Yeah, integrating graphs in physics exams would save counting all the little squares and adding them up!

That's one thing I don't exactly like in Physics, using approximate methods to problems. It's like dealing with errors in experiments (which I also don't like, even though it's maths). Even though you can have uncertainties in the accuracy of a piece of experimental apparatus, when we have to round the error to 1 significant figure we're only creating much more error! Just why?!

What's the most ridiculous Physics experiment anyone's ever had to do? I once had to do an experiment on angular velocity where we had to swing a ball around in a horizontal circle (it never was perfectly horizontal) and we used this funny bung/straw device to change the radius. We kept hitting ourselves in the head and my teacher kept laughing! That's another thing I don't like about Physics, we use approximate methods in experiments so much to the extent that the results can be ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I think too many people think Physics is just purely maths. If it was, then they would make physics a module of maths, not it's own subject.

Physics is memorising facts. They may give you an equation: x+y=z, but then they usually tell you to interpret the answer. There are also (small) essay questions in physics.

ReputationRep:
    I am at gcse level, and I find physics easy and maths harder. I'm wondering if I will develop more of a 'maths brain'.. do you think there is such a thing, and if there is, that it develops from practice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OL1V3R)
    Yeah, integrating graphs in physics exams would save counting all the little squares and adding them up!

That's one thing I don't exactly like in Physics, using approximate methods to problems. It's like dealing with errors in experiments (which I also don't like, even though it's maths). Even though you can have uncertainties in the accuracy of a piece of experimental apparatus, when we have to round the error to 1 significant figure we're only creating much more error! Just why?!

What's the most ridiculous Physics experiment anyone's ever had to do? I once had to do an experiment on angular velocity where we had to swing a ball around in a horizontal circle (it never was perfectly horizontal) and we used this funny bung/straw device to change the radius. We kept hitting ourselves in the head and my teacher kept laughing! That's another thing I don't like about Physics, we use approximate methods in experiments so much to the extent that the results can be ridiculous.
    Like on the OCR syllabus we had to know all the formulas for displacement, speed and acceleration and we could have been asked why acceleration is always negative. It was only when my maths teacher then showed us differential vectors that I realised why but it would have been much easier had we used calculus from the start not to mention uvast/suvat formulas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    i think As maths is easier than As physics but having said that i prefer physics, it feels more engaging and interesting (to me anyway) though it does tend to mess with your head a bit, especially the massive scales and sizes and temperatures of things in space, most of its incomprehendable
    This, exactly to the word.

ReputationRep:
    go over most past papers

ReputationRep:
    Me and physics do not mix well, even though I'm actually pretty good at maths. I am not looking forward to mechanics results in March

Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.