Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Not sure where to put this.
    I currently use monthlies from specsavers and my eyes hurt after about 4 hours and go quite dry and uncomfortable. I'm thinking of getting dailes. Are they better? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you put them in for longer than a month? I have contacts and find after a month they dry much easier....dailies are not as good I've been told by my optician...personally id stay with month ones just ask to change the perscription

ReputationRep:
    The simple thing to do would be to go and speak to whoever checks you and your contact lenses out, as people react differently to different lenses. I had to experiment with various types (Daily, monthly, 2 weekly), but i've ended up on 2 weekly with hydraclear and my eyes are okay.

So yeah, go have a chat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ricwilson)
    Are you sure you put them in for longer than a month? I have contacts and find after a month they dry much easier....dailies are not as good I've been told by my optician...personally id stay with month ones just ask to change the perscription
    umm well I used to wear them nearly every day a year or so ago and it was fine. But now its quite bad. The prescription is fine i think, i can see perfectly

ReputationRep:
    Maybe your eyes have started to reject them, or bits are getting onto your lense?? Has your sleep pattern changed at all?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe your eyes have started to reject them, or bits are getting onto your lense?? Has your sleep pattern changed at all?
    No. I'm struggling to find a reason. Think its due to dryness of the eye.

ReputationRep:
    Have you bought any eye drops? Think a check up is probably required

ReputationRep:
    Have you bought any eye drops? Think a check up is probably required
    Yep this is a good idea!! I had the same problem with mine when i swapped from daily to monthy and found that my eyes were too dry for monthly ones (they're thicker than daily) sooo i they told be to use eye drops!! hey presto im a non wearing glasses kinda gal!! AND i don't need to use drops anymore...i guess my eyes bucked up their ideas and got more salt water running through them!!
    good luck =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mel.HeyThereChuckles.)
    Yep this is a good idea!! I had the same problem with mine when i swapped from daily to monthy and found that my eyes were too dry for monthly ones (they're thicker than daily) sooo i they told be to use eye drops!! hey presto im a non wearing glasses kinda gal!! AND i don't need to use drops anymore...i guess my eyes bucked up their ideas and got more salt water running through them!!
    good luck =)
    Yeah i use eye drops and they do help for about 30 minutes but it becomes dry again. My optician did say I have a slightly below average tear film but it should not be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I have dailies, my optician said they're softer than monthlies so a lot more comfortable!

ReputationRep:
    try eye drops, they work a treat

ReputationRep:
    I find monthly ones fine, although they get a little uncomfortable and less effective towards the end of the month.
    Maybe try eye drops, and make sure your cleaning them with the solution properly before application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becca-x)
    I find monthly ones fine, although they get a little uncomfortable and less effective towards the end of the month.
    Maybe try eye drops, and make sure your cleaning them with the solution properly before application?
    Do both really and still its quite uncomfortable. Are dailies more moist than monthlies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Toffy)
    Do both really and still its quite uncomfortable. Are dailies more moist than monthlies
    I don't know, I've only ever used monthlies, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    Not to point out the obvious, but have you tried the wetter ones? I know Specsavers do lenses which somehow retain more moisture and stuff, designed for people with dry eyes. They'll invariably be more expensive but it's better than doing damage, which as far as I'm aware dry lenses can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan W)
    Not to point out the obvious, but have you tried the wetter ones? I know Specsavers do lenses which somehow retain more moisture and stuff, designed for people with dry eyes. They'll invariably be more expensive but it's better than doing damage, which as far as I'm aware dry lenses can do.
    Yeah I think i'll book an appointment and see what they can do.

ReputationRep:
    Dailies are usually more 'moisturised' than monthlies obv b/c you are putting new ones in every day, rather than the same one repeatedly for a month (albeit with the cleansing each night). I noticed a definite improvement when I switched from monthlies to dailies, both comfort-wise and also clarity-wise (by end of month I found monthly lense to be getting less effective). However some lenses have added properties like "moisture-plus" etc which also has to be taken into account. But as the above posters have said, check with your opticians

I think the daily ones are great.

ReputationRep:
    I've been using dailies from specsavers for 8 or 9 years now. They're AWESOME. My eyes never feel dry, and they always feel comfortable - I've never listened to the opticians recommendations and have always had them in for very long hours (like 7am to 2am - in fact sometimes I go two days wearing the same pair if I fall asleep in them, and no, my eyesight hasn't got any worse). Never, never looked back. Although I was truly appalling at getting them in for the first few months. I remember trying to put them in for the first time in the opticians who said 'oh don't worry, we once had a guy who took an hour! Hahahaha' - it took me 2 hours to get 1 in.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried changing solutions? I became allergic to one after using it for 2 years and the only symptom was that I couldn't wear my lenses as long. My optician picked it up at a check-up and I've been fine with monthlies and a different solution since.

If not then getting some trial daily lenses to see if they're better is probably best

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.