Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I did my English Language exam in November and I got an A. I got 455 marks and 461 was the mark needed for an A*. I was really gutted that I was just 6 marks off!

I'm retaking it in the summer and I need some advice. I am making sure that all of my coursework is A*/A because I had one piece that was a B.

An external report I have recieved about my performance in the exam shows that I got 100% on the poetry on cultures question. So that question is fine. But I could have done better on the writing and media questions.

For the writing, I think I think I need to have used advanced vocabulary. Does anybody have any suggestions of words that I could learn? With their definitions? Also, what could I do for the media questions to earn the higher marks?

The exam board is AQA. I would appreciate some good advice.

ReputationRep:
    For media I would use http://www.englishbiz.co.uk/ and click on the relevant parts to the paper. It got me 100% in the media paper.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Firstly, I did the same exam, in November, and got my results earlier this month. However, I didn't find out about the marks, I only found out my grade.

I would suggest going over your notes on the media paper a lot. Make sure to use P.E.E every time you use a quotation, and read all of the bullet points before beginning to write the essay answer. This was just some of the advice I was given when preparing for this exam.

Good luck. Out of curiousity, when is your retake?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnyShine)
    Hello,

Firstly, I did the same exam, in November, and got my results earlier this month. However, I didn't find out about the marks, I only found out my grade.

I would suggest going over your notes on the media paper a lot. Make sure to use P.E.E every time you use a quotation, and read all of the bullet points before beginning to write the essay answer. This was just some of the advice I was given when preparing for this exam.

Good luck. Out of curiousity, when is your retake?
    I don't know the exact date but i'm guessing two days in june

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightrider94)
    I don't know the exact date but i'm guessing two days in june
    So you'll be taking it with the rest of your exams.

Then again, I found that it was better having English Language early entry, partly because I can now focus on English Lit. but also because it means that it is retakeable within the same year.

But how comes you want to retake? An A's really good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnyShine)
    So you'll be taking it with the rest of your exams.

Then again, I found that it was better having English Language early entry, partly because I can now focus on English Lit. but also because it means that it is retakeable within the same year.

But how comes you want to retake? An A's really good.
    Being so close to an A* I thought that I am bound to improve over the coming months and so I am likely to improve on my A. I am aiming to get 5/6 A*s and I thought I would be likely to get an A* in English Language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightrider94)
    Being so close to an A* I thought that I am bound to improve over the coming months and so I am likely to improve on my A. I am aiming to get 5/6 A*s and I thought I would be likely to get an A* in English Language.
    Okay, good luck.

Also, make sure to practice each section a lot. We did them many times over in class as practice tests and at the end of year 10, I got a C in the mock. I worked my way up to an A/B in the practice exams in September/October before the actual exam in November. So practice papers are always good and useful.

I was quite surprised when I found out my grade for English Language, earlier this month. I expected lower. I'm now fearing that I'll do badly at my English Lit.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 29, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.