Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    Considering 60% of all applicants get 4 rejections.

Getting 2.5 Interviews per year of applying is phenomenal.
    :confused:

Interviews are only worth something if you get an offer at the end of it.

ReputationRep:

Right. But thats got nothing to do with the number of interviews you get. If I get 4 interviews, I can still get straight rejections...
    I know a few people with more 3 or more interviews in a year. I wouldn't have described them as phenomenal :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowsnail)
    Right. But thats got nothing to do with the number of interviews you get. If I get 4 interviews, I can still get straight rejections...
    I know a few people with more 3 or more interviews in a year. I wouldn't have described them as phenomenal :p:
    You talking about me and my three interviews of fail?

ReputationRep:
    well i ope you carry smarties in your pockets now, vutter, and not knives.

ReputationRep:
    number of interview just means that I look favourable on paper.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by vutterman)
    number of interview just means that I look favourable on paper.
    I didn't get round to this:

CONGRATULATIONS :dance:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOT

Your Going to Barts Baby! :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Dear TSR friends,

My name is vutterman and I would like to share with you the last 3 years failed medical school applications and what it really took to finally get an offer.

in 2003 I came to this country without knowing any english. I started off at a rough school where kids carry knives and wrenches but somehow made it to a Grammar school nearby after a successful GCSE.

rest is in my sig, please quote me to ask any qeustions. I could write sooo much if I was to write about everything.
    LOL at you man :p:

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations vutterman, you really deserve you play at QUB! I hope you enjoy it x

I admire your determination

ReputationRep:
    i came to england in 2003 too...high five....and congrats on your offer! you totally deserve it

just out of interest, did you apply to the same college for Cambridge? im thinking about my reapplication form already (im sure reapplication that is a word...or maybe not) lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazytomato)
    i came to england in 2003 too...high five....and congrats on your offer! you totally deserve it

just out of interest, did you apply to the same college for Cambridge? im thinking about my reapplication form already (im sure reapplication that is a word...or maybe not) lol
    high FIVE

I was advised not to apply to the same college for cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get round to this:

CONGRATULATIONS :dance:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOT

Your Going to Barts Baby! :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :cool:
    vas dude, i owe u one. thanks to you i'm starting my HCA this march!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    Well its not like you applied to the easier medical schools each time, well done anyway on spending 3 years and then finally getting in

ReputationRep:

It's not really that phenomenal at all.

Get ~650 on your UKCAT (which is what, top 40% of people who take the test?) - guaranteed interview at Barts. Meet the academic criteria (grades etc. ~80% of applicants) - guaranteed interview at Cambridge and St. Georges.

So that's 3 interviews in a cycle, and all you have to do is meet the entrance requirements and get a slightly higher than average UKCAT score. If that's what counts as phenomenal...

ReputationRep:
    Dear TSR friends,

My name is vutterman and I would like to share with you the last 3 years failed medical school applications and what it really took to finally get an offer.

in 2003 I came to this country without knowing any english. I started off at a rough school where kids carry knives and wrenches but somehow made it to a Grammar school nearby after a successful GCSE.

rest is in my sig, please quote me to ask any qeustions. I could write sooo much if I was to write about everything.
    what did you get in your gcse's and a levels?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    It's not really that phenomenal at all.

Get ~650 on your UKCAT (which is what, top 40% of people who take the test?) - guaranteed interview at Barts. Meet the academic criteria (grades etc. ~80% of applicants) - guaranteed interview at Cambridge and St. Georges.

So that's 3 interviews in a cycle, and all you have to do is meet the entrance requirements and get a slightly higher than average UKCAT score. If that's what counts as phenomenal...
    Considering most people DONT meet the academic criteria for Cambridge, and they dont get a good enough BMAT score for Cambridge.

That rules that interview out.

St Georges if you meet their GCSE criteria then yes that is a guaranteed interview as with Barts. (presuming you have sufficient work experience or voluntary work)

So yes it is phenomenal! Sorry we don't all have your grades.

ReputationRep:
    Considering most people DONT meet the academic criteria for Cambridge, and they dont get a good enough BMAT score for Cambridge.

Just to clarify the Cambridge thing, even if people get a poor BMAT, they could still get an interview depending on the College, but it would obviously disadvantage them in terms of actually getting an offer after interview.

ReputationRep:
    You also get a guaranteed interview at Newcastle with a UKCAT above ~640, which shouldn't be too hard after doing the prep books.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Just to clarify the Cambridge thing, even if people get a poor BMAT, they could still get an interview depending on the College, but it would obviously disadvantage them in terms of actually getting an offer after interview.
    :yep:

ReputationRep:

St Georges if you meet their GCSE criteria then yes that is a guaranteed interview as with Barts. (presuming you have sufficient work experience or voluntary work)

So yes it is phenomenal! Sorry we don't all have your grades.
    Most colleges in Cambridge give out interviews to all applicants who meet their basic requirements, and then take BMAT score into account after interview. I would hazard a guess that around 80% of people applying to any medical school probably have sufficient academics to get an interview there. So no, it doesn't rule it out.

And as you have agreed, regardless of Cambridge it is quite easy to guarantee two interviews at Barts and George's. So that would be 4 interviews in two cycles.

Getting one interview from 4 other chances (when it has been shown that at other medical schools it is certainly easy to attain) is not phenomenal. Certainly, it's something to be proud of and a decent achievement, but it's not "exceedingly or unbelievably great".

And as for your last (rather *****y) sentence - this has nothing to do with my abilities.

ReputationRep:
    wow my thread has been quite popular.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.