Turn on thread page Beta

mac SL Java problem!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have a mac and I am running snow leopard on it atm. I was wanting to try out eclipse and learn a bit of java before going to university to do computer science. Much to my disappointment, when I downloaded and installed eclipse, it didn't work..

So, I did some research and found out that the source of my problem was that I was running Java v 1.6, and not 1.5. I tried looking online for some solutions to this problem, tried a few about, but it still didn't quite work. I am also trying to install the Android ADT plugin to start developing Android apps, however for the time being, I just need eclipse to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, +rep and thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdude22)
    Hi, I have a mac and I am running snow leopard on it atm. I was wanting to try out eclipse and learn a bit of java before going to university to do computer science. Much to my disappointment, when I downloaded and installed eclipse, it didn't work..

So, I did some research and found out that the source of my problem was that I was running Java v 1.6, and not 1.5. I tried looking online for some solutions to this problem, tried a few about, but it still didn't quite work. I am also trying to install the Android ADT plugin to start developing Android apps, however for the time being, I just need eclipse to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, +rep and thanks in advance.
    :lol: First of all do you have any programming experience? Eclipses isn't that easy to use either. There are a thousand tutorials/resources though.

This might help: http://jmgtan.com/2009/09/01/eclipse-and-snow-leopard/

In general you must either get a compatible JDK or a compatible eclipse version.

Also to develop mobile applications you need a different JDK MM instead of SE (I think?) and there are some small variants in coding. However to reach such a level you must spend 100s of hours of coding. It's Java but if your a beginner it's not that easy as you thought. Good luck though!!

ReputationRep:
    Well I know the basics of C and know a lot of actionscript for flash ( I know its not really a computer language but it's fun ). I know eclipse isn't that easy to use, but it's one of the few programs that work with the android adt.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.