Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Grandmother has recently been in hospital and, because my parents have been away and my aunts have both been unwell the majority of hospital visits and dealing with the medical staff has fallen on me. During her stay in hospital, my grandmother had been wearing the stocking they give out (to prevent DVT iirc) - however, She very quickly started complaining about them. She told the nurses that they were making her legs itchy and sore, they told her that it was just because she wasn't used to them! When I went to visit she told me and I had a chat with the ward sister who told me that they were having Her assessed because they thought she might have memory problems. I queried this further and found out that my Grandmother was essentially telling every member of staff she spoke to about the problem...and repeating her complaints to members of staff she had told previously. The doctors had concluded that my grandmother couldn't remember reporting the problem.

My Grandmother may be in her 90's, but she had never displayed any sign of memory loss - so I asked her about it. By the time I was able to visit, she'd been wearing these stockings for 4 days...in 3 1/2 days of complaining, no-one had checked under the stockings. To say I was horrified is an understatement! I went back to talk to the ward sister who checked the notes and confirmed that the matter had not been investigated. To cut an already long story short, the stockings were removed and my grandmother's legs are covered in blisters and ulcers.

I'm furious! My first inclination was to help my grandmother make a complaint, but the hospital have told me that only next of kin can be involved and that my involvement is neither acceptable nor appropriate. The doctor in charge of my grandmother's 'care' has said that the presumption of memory problems and even dementia is perfectly appropriate for a woman my grandmother's age and that the failure to investigate her complaints was a minor oversight and nothing more.

I'm now confused as to what to do and for someone who is used to having clarity of thought and being able to see an appropriate path though most matters, that doesn't sit well!

I'm going to seek professional advice after the weekend, but I would appreciate it if anyone has had similar experiences or has any idea where I stand with respect to assisting my grandmother with making a complaint despite not being next of kin.

P.s. If you've read the whole post...thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    I"m sorry to hear about your grandmothers care ( or lack of it, I should say). The tights you refer to are called TEDS and they are worn , like you said , to prevent DVTs in the legs. The hospital should have a patient liason service ( sometimes abbreviated to PALS) and you should have a chat with them as they may be able to help you. It must be horrid to see your grandmother like this, and even more so as you cannot do anything seeing as how the hospital dont consider you next of kin. It may be a long shot, and I hate to ask this so I apologise now, but I take it that your grandmother is capable of making her own choices. Would it be possible for her to give you permission to complain on her behalf or even if she can , get her to write a letter detailing her disgust at the way she has been treated?.

I hope you get this sorted and that your grandmothers legs get better.

(Original post by Annie72)
    I"m sorry to hear about your grandmothers care ( or lack of it, I should say). The tights you refer to are called TEDS and they are worn , like you said , to prevent DVTs in the legs. The hospital should have a patient liason service ( sometimes abbreviated to PALS) and you should have a chat with them as they may be able to help you. It must be horrid to see your grandmother like this, and even more so as you cannot do anything seeing as how the hospital dont consider you next of kin. It may be a long shot, and I hate to ask this so I apologise now, but I take it that your grandmother is capable of making her own choices. Would it be possible for her to give you permission to complain on her behalf or even if she can , get her to write a letter detailing her disgust at the way she has been treated?.

I hope you get this sorted and that your grandmothers legs get better.
    Thank you for reply. My grandmother is currently in too much pain to write (blood test...the needle hit a nerve! I was there when that happened and I think I've psychologically scarred the young nurse who did it for life, I went ballistic). The issue of mental capability is where it gets difficult; the hospital are still questioning her mental capacity, but to me that doesn't square with her ability to tell me the names of who she saw, about what and at what time during her entire stay in hospital.

I already have my grandmother's permission to make a complaint on her behalf, and she has not been declared mentally unfit. Drafting a letter for her is also a good idea. I have retained a record of everything my Grandmother has told me, as well as a complete record of my conversations with various staff members.

I'll check out patient liaison as well...thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Its good that you have documented everything, as you have proof of whats been happening. RE the hospital questioning your grandmothers mental capabilities, I would say that they really dont know her whereas you do. You know fully well that she is of sound mind. I suspect that could be a cop out on their part tbh.

Glad I could help

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.