Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished an experiment for coursework, it basically involved dropping a marble into a sand tray and measuring the diameter.

What are the variables of this experiment? I can only think of wind influence?

EDIT: Review factors which might affect the outcome and describe how they have been accounted/controlled for?

ReputationRep:
    Slight deviation in the height you dropped the marble at. Deviation in the location the marble landed at, deviation in the thickness of the sand (im assuming it's supposed to be uniform)...

...you could think of loads.

ReputationRep:
    humidity, air pressure, arrangement of sand, measuring uncertainties, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Oh i did something like that last year, but we used flour instead... so messy:0. but yeah things like hight, and mass and size of marble... but i guess im just stating the obvious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wesssty)
    humidity, air pressure, arrangement of sand, measuring uncertainties, etc.
    How would humidity and air pressure affect the marble or sand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolhenry)
    How would humidity and air pressure affect the marble or sand?
    They'll affect air resistance, but obviously negligibly.

ReputationRep:
    They'll affect air resistance, but obviously negligibly.
    Any more variables and their effects?

ReputationRep:
    Any more variables and their effects?
    Indentation of the ruler into the sand when measuring the height?

I'm good at this! :yep:

& Make sure you say the arrangement of the sand will be different everytime you prepare it for the next drop, obviously all particles of sand aren't identical, so this will have an effect on the mark the marble makes (deviating it from the relationship you're trying to support). Negligible but still counts in principle.

ReputationRep:
    Indentation of the ruler into the sand when measuring the height?

I'm good at this! :yep:

& Make sure you say the arrangement of the sand will be different everytime you prepare it for the next drop, obviously all particles of sand aren't identical, so this will have an effect on the mark the marble makes (deviating it from the relationship you're trying to support). Negligible but still counts in principle.
    Haha,

Is there anything to write about sand displacement?

ReputationRep:
    Haha,

Is there anything to write about sand displacement?
    The sand wont be exactly level each time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by in_jeopardy)
    Slight deviation in the height you dropped the marble at. Deviation in the location the marble landed at, deviation in the thickness of the sand (im assuming it's supposed to be uniform)...

...you could think of loads.
    Yes it was suppose to be uniform, I've talked about that , any other variables?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.