Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's a question I've often thought about but never been able to find an answer to - why does the UK not have more skyscrapers?
    OK, London is gradually embracing them, but outside the capital there's barely anything.

American cities, and even some towns, are defined by their high rise buildings, despite the country being much more sparsely populated that the UK.

Is it simply because we have fewer very large cities (1 million+) than the likes of America, Germany and Japan? Or is it a cultural thing that we just don't 'do' skyscrapers and prefer lower buildings?

(Original post by Student2806)
    It's a question I've often thought about but never been able to find an answer to - why does the UK not have more skyscrapers?
    OK, London is gradually embracing them, but outside the capital there's barely anything.

American cities, and even some towns, are defined by their high rise buildings, despite the country being much more sparsely populated that the UK.

Is it simply because we have fewer very large cities (1 million+) than the likes of America, Germany and Japan? Or is it a cultural thing that we just don't 'do' skyscrapers and prefer lower buildings?
    I think it's because skyscrapers tend to be built when a country is growing through really its zenith in the growth phase, which Britain was certainly long past when the technology became available.

ReputationRep:
    This is something that has always disappointed me about the UK. I love skyscrapers and even the height of the Hilton in Manchester is enough to impress me. But I've not seen anything that is really big on the scale of New York and Hong Kong. Definitely places I must visit in the next five or so years.

Bleurgh, skyscrapers in London are just wrong.

ReputationRep:
    cos New york > London, yeah i said it.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer London.

ReputationRep:
    We do... I just rarely lie on my back when aroused.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard various reasons why in London there aren't as many, no idea what basis any of these have:

Soil make up provides weak foundation

No building can be taller than St Pauls Cathedral

General desire to protect the historic nature of London

ReputationRep:
    really good question actually.
    Look cool and generally a good use of space....
    I think we need more to he honest..

ReputationRep:
    When I look at a city like Vancouver that is full of skyscrapers, and compare it to London, I'd rather live in London any day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    No building can be taller than St Pauls Cathedral
    Have you looked at the London skyline recently? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think there are plans to build more in London soon. Shards London Bridge Place is gonna be built by 2012 and that's gonna look stunning.

ReputationRep:
    9/11?

ReputationRep:
    There are protecting view corridors all over london preserving views, specifically that of st pauls cathedral. Its mostly planning laws that restrict the construction of tall buildings. Also we don't have the space constraints in london like manhattan island, or the ridiculous densities of tokyo. London has sprawled out instead of up as it is basically a collection of villages that have been assimilated as the city as grown.

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely love skyscrapers, but we must remember that places like America, Dubai, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore are quite young with respect to infrastructure development compared to the ancient cities of Europe. Back in the day London was the best capital on the planet in terms of infrastructure.

One other reason why the UK doesn't have skyscrapers is because the government is pretty stingy and refuses to invest money in that sort of stuff.
    Qatar is gifting London with an amazing skyscraper though, which is set to be the tallest building in Europe. I think it's pretty embaressing when we have other more prosperous nations gifting skyscrapers to us like we're some charity.

It's called 'The Shard' and is already under construction, dated to finish in 2010. It will stand at 310m

ReputationRep:
    we dont need them, i love sky scrappers but its kinda unique that a country so rich isnt populated with skyscrapers everywhere you go.

that's whats so unique about london and other cities, even poor/crappy cities in usa have taller buildings.

As soon as uk starts putting up skyscrapers everywhere that's the day uk will loose its uniqueness, and quality that uk has. plus we have building with more history, go Manchester and see the town there its very nice, then go liverpool, couple of skyscrapers cant buy you what them cities have.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about london but does anyone else think that the Burj Khalifa looks pretty ridiculous in the relatively sparse Dubai-scape, though I still can't believe that it is possible to build something that tall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Have you looked at the London skyline recently? :rolleyes:
    Lol what Skyline?

There's.... Big ben, The London eye.... some skyscrapers in the city centre, then the gherkin and 4 or so others around Canary wharf.

barely anything compared to some other Major cities, LA, New york and just about any city in america really. but then again those americans and going the extra mile with everything.....

ReputationRep:
    Spiderman would be kind of useless in Britain, no skyscrapers and all . :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    I don't know about london but does anyone else think that the Burj Khalifa looks pretty ridiculous in the relatively sparse Dubai-scape, though I still can't believe that it is possible to build something that tall
    At the moment, perhaps...but they have some unbelievable projects planned to be built around the area including a fully rotating building! If you look at the Dubai skyline from a distance, like a panoramic view then it doesn't look so sparse.

For me Honk Kong is the best skyscraper city in the world :sogood:

Spoiler:
    Show

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.