Turn on thread page Beta

The UK and skyscrapers watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Hows it pointless?
    It's needless propaganda. Dubai doesn't need to have the Khalifa for me to be impressed by its development.

ReputationRep:
    www.skyscrapercity.com

Absolutely fascinating forum. Has updates, profiles, photos, diagrams etc of just about every moderately significant building/bridge/sports arena etc in the world. I could spend all day on it.

ReputationRep:
    mainly because london doesnt need to be defined with a skyline, its a classic city, and thats all it will ever need.

ReputationRep:
    Its going for $43,000 per m2.

Yes a total waste :rolleyes:.
    Dubai is hardly stricken for office space, so I doubt that was the purpose.

Its an amazing piece of construction aswell.
    No, it's banal and completely uninspiring. It resembles something out of a Stalinist dystopia.

Intrusive and characterless - a giant, metaphorical Arab penis.

(Original post by FinishHim!)
    Dubai is hardly stricken for office space, so I doubt that was the purpose.

No, it's banal and completely uninspiring. It resembles something out of a Stalinist dystopia.

Intrusive and characterless - a giant, metaphorical Arab penis.
    No thats your opinion, its amazing construction to build something that tall.

ReputationRep:
    No thats your opinion, its amazing construction to build something that tall.
    It's certainly an achievement, but I wouldn't go so far to call it "amazing". Human technology has excelled so that even a relatively poor country could construct such a creation, if it paid the right people and collected the right resources. Dubai simply had the audacity, time, money (that's debatable), desire for attention and lack of an existing, iconic skyline to invest in such a project.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome-o)
    www.skyscrapercity.com

Absolutely fascinating forum. Has updates, profiles, photos, diagrams etc of just about every moderately significant building/bridge/sports arena etc in the world. I could spend all day on it.
    oh my god I've not been on that forum in ages. I've been looking for something to gawp at whilst TSR is slow, now I think I'm sorted.

It's certainly an achievement, but I wouldn't go so far to call it "amazing". Human technology has excelled so that even a relatively poor country could construct such a creation, if it paid the right people and collected the right resources. Dubai simply had the audacity, time, money (that's debatable), desire for attention and lack of an existing, iconic skyline to invest in such a project.

Quite iconic without it really.

ReputationRep:

Quite iconic without it really.
    Edit out the Burj Dubai, print off a copy and show it to random members of the public. Do you really believe they would say "that's Dubai!" as they would if they saw the Paris, London, New York, etc. skylines?

ReputationRep:
    yay lets just wipe out london and fill it full of generic skyscrapers to please some people who want to say "my dads just as big as your dad" to the other countries in the yard.

Edit out the Burj Dubai, print off a copy and show it to random members of the public. Do you really believe they would say "that's Dubai!" as they would if they saw the Paris, London, New York, etc. skylines?

Without the tower I would not guess that is Paris.

Is that a horrendous piece of metal aswell?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=315079

All of the projects currently going on in London. Also has photoshops of what the skyline will look like in 2012.

ReputationRep:

Without the tower I would not guess that is Paris.

Is that a horrendous piece of metal aswell?
    I doubt people would fail to recognise:

Spoiler:
    Show

Besides, I argued that Dubai didn't have an iconic skyline to worry about when developing the Burj Dubai. The Eiffel Tower is not a recent development and is already part of Paris's iconic skyline.

I doubt people would fail to recognise:

Spoiler:
    Show

Besides, I argued that Dubai didn't have an iconic skyline to worry about when developing the Burj Dubai. The Eiffel Tower is not a recent development and is already part of Paris's iconic skyline.
    So because something is recent its not good?

ReputationRep:
    So because something is recent its not good?
    Please, enough with the straw man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    I absolutely love skyscrapers, but we must remember that places like America, Dubai, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore are quite young with respect to infrastructure development compared to the ancient cities of Europe. Back in the day London was the best capital on the planet in terms of infrastructure.

One other reason why the UK doesn't have skyscrapers is because the government is pretty stingy and refuses to invest money in that sort of stuff.
    Qatar is gifting London with an amazing skyscraper though, which is set to be the tallest building in Europe. I think it's pretty embaressing when we have other more prosperous nations gifting skyscrapers to us like we're some charity.

It's called 'The Shard' and is already under construction, dated to finish in 2010. It will stand at 310m
    God that looks horrific.

Skyscrapers only look good when surrounded by other skyscrapers. Thats why the London skyline looks shyt.

ReputationRep:
    Skyscrapers are just the latest architectural fashion trend. Building skyscrapers in London would be like putting your Granddad in Converse or your Grandma in jeggings.

London has many buildings that date back to periods many centuries ago to the renaissance and have their own sentimental features to make them distinctive. In hundreds of years, we will look back on the Burj Dubai knowing that building the tallest building reflected the time because the fashion trend was to make building's noticeable and distinctive by making them as tall as possible.

Many old buildings attract tourists. Photographs and views are taken from every angle around them so it is very easy to ruin the aesthetic even if it is by building a Skyscraper a kilometer away. City councils have to be careful and considerate when looking at applications for planning permission.

However the view of Derby cathedral and the old silk mill was ruined recently because they decided to whack a 10 storey hotel up right near them. It only takes one thing to ruin a historic and beautiful skyline. 10 stories isn't much but it shows what a small amount is needed for sabotage.

If British cities were to have Skyscrapers and look pretty like Hong Kong they would have to be built from scratch.

Although, Portsmouth looks ok.

As does Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Burj Dubai looks impressive, especially when flying into Dubai, Hong Kong looks impressive as well even though the IFC makes the other skyscrapers look like dwarfs. I'm exctied about the Shard thing in London it looks really pretty, in Europe we are not as keen on skyscrapers due to the historic skylines of cities. I love older buildings as well, so my favourite skyline would be a mix of the old and new.

ReputationRep:
    I much prefer London's lack of skyscrapers to cities with them.

ReputationRep:
    Just because other countries have them doesnt mean we should. Britain has heritage and we should keep it.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.