Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically - we dont need to compensate for anything.
    america and asia on the other hand...

ReputationRep:
    its all about how a city is carved, each one is special in their own ways. Although i love skyscraper-full cities. London on the other hand is unique, and that is part of its charisma.

(Original post by will.)
    I think there are plans to build more in London soon. Shards London Bridge Place is gonna be built by 2012 and that's gonna look stunning.
    Yeah, agreed. I can't wait until it's done. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Have you looked at the London skyline recently? :rolleyes:

(Original post by thefish_uk)
    That's not true... the soil below London is fantastic which is one of the reasons why London had the first underground railway in the world, as it's so strong and easy to work with.
    Like I said... I have no idea the factual basis on these, just what I have heard

ReputationRep:

I quite like it to be honest, let's scrap every building in London and start again shall we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)

I quite like it to be honest, let's scrap every building in London and start again shall we?
    Yes!

Hello Stalin :gah:

ReputationRep:
    Skyscrapers are a Terrorists Paradise !!

ReputationRep:
    The UK industrialised in the 19th century, London is a Victorian city it doesn't really need that many skyscrapers it would look wrong.

some cities with skyscrapers like New York and Hong Kong look nice but Dubai is just ugly :yucky:

ReputationRep:
    They're an eyesore.

English Heritage have a general dislike for them.

ReputationRep:
    As I said in a previous post, it's like dressing your Granddad in Converse and your Grandma in Jeggings. Cities in this country were built, decorated and ornamented many years ago so modern Skyscrapers wouldn't suit what they really are.

ReputationRep:
    The place for skyscrapers in hongkong - the novelty soon wears off once you are there

better having clear views IMOO

ReputationRep:
    We don't really need them do we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinishHim!)
    Why doesn't Washington D.C. have many skyscrapers? Probably because it's home to the US's most valued and historic buildings. Numerous skyscrapers would just dwarf them.
    Sort of. Washington is subject to the Height of Buildings Act. Contrary to popular belief, there is no law preventing buildings from being taller than the US Capitol and Washington Monument - the maximum height a building can be is equal to the width of the adjacent street plus 20 feet (so if a street is 100ft wide, the maximum height of any building on it is 120ft).

ReputationRep:
    because planes will crash into them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome-o)
    www.skyscrapercity.com

Absolutely fascinating forum. Has updates, profiles, photos, diagrams etc of just about every moderately significant building/bridge/sports arena etc in the world. I could spend all day on it.
    SkyscraperPage and its forum will probably interest you as well then. Very similar, but the member photography area in the forum is much better than skyscrapercity.

ReputationRep:
    Because successive governments are obsessesed with London. In fact the UK starts at Bromley and ends at Harrow. They like to spend all the money we pay in tax etc... to London so London can get this, this and this.

Outside of London, gets **** all. Can anyone name a city outside the South East? No, not that I thought so.

ReputationRep:
    Can we move this to architecture? People on this forum couldn't draw a stick man.

suggested text:

collage city colin rowe.
    also manhattan transcripts bernard tschumi.
    urban forms: death and life of urban block
    concsie townscape: gordon cullen
    pattern language.

finally. Because we don't need these faceless glass and concrete blocks. Britain has some of the best architects in the world. We should learn to use them.

@ 4G dollars - Manchester has the Beatham Tower by Ian Simpson.

We live in the land of the PC, architecture isn't a grudge purchase, it's a purchase of desire and ambition.

The biggest architectural crime of the last decade was the loss of the 4th Grace in Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)

Kinda embarrassing.
    I like Burj Dubai (I can't get used to and don't like calling it Burj Khalifa - horrible name). You can't help but be impressed by it as an engineering masterpiece, and that it's a failure because it's struggling financially is a stupid thing to say (in its early days, New Yorkers used to call the Empire State Building the Empty State Building, and yet it hasn't done too badly for itself...).
    But building something similar in London would be stupid. It would dwarf everything and look completely out of place.

ReputationRep:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.