Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Again, the nature of the surface is not relevant. It is what is underneath that is important for building. I believe that the Dubai desert covers bedrock (there are mountains nearby); it certainly isn't infinitely deep sand.

The proximity of water, whether in the form of a rivers, lakes or the sea, is also irrelevant.
    My point about Shanghai was that it's situated on a coastal flood plain, on top of mixed thick loams and clays, yet they have some of the largest skyscrapers in the world. It's situation isn't too dissimilar from London's.

The fact that we've already built skyscrapers all over the city with plans for lots more suggests it's entirely feasible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    The fact that we've already built skyscrapers all over the city with plans for lots more suggests it's entirely feasible.
    I didn't say it wasn't feasible - merely more difficult and therefore more expensive, especially for very tall buildings.

ReputationRep:
    Screw that, I dont want skyscrapers. We already live in concrete jungles. They are ugly.

Talking about grand human creations, what about a spectacular bridge. The French have the glorious Millau Viaduct. Lucky *******s.

ReputationRep:
    It's pointless to build something tall unless land is scarce (i.e. central London). The cost per sq. ft. of usable space for a tall building is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I'd take medium-rise stucco over a bloody glass towerblock any day of the week.

ReputationRep:
    the uk is **** compared to the US, no offence to UK lovers but i live in UK myself and to be honest it is not even in comparison with the united states. scyscrapers are so beutiful to look at.night time in america feels great with the tall buildings and atmosphere in the cities. down here in UK we dont even have good cities apart from 1 which is london..not only scyscrapers but american schools,laws and people are better. the kids in the schools here are little midgets compared to the 6 foot 8 americans with tall and great personality..anwyays gettin back to the topic, UK does not have any skyscrapers and its filled with little council houses. the weather is **** which makes it look even more dull.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.