Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Who here is currently studying medicine at oxbridge/applying to it? What are you GCSES, AS levels, work experience and your voluntary work like? Got any tips? :P

ReputationRep:
    1) Mostly A*s at GCSE
    2) Ace the BMAT
    3) AAA predictions (at least)
    3) At least a day of work experience

ReputationRep:
    Top grades at everything...lots of work experience...

ReputationRep:
    100% in half of the A-level papers, most of the remaining 95%+. BMAT was okay.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm in Year 12, but might give it a shot. Not that I'll get in, but meh...it's worse to regret not trying!
    1. 10A* 2A
    2. Not received but I'm predicted A*AAAA - I'll probbaly get A*AAAB for my AS [with A* in early A level maths].
    3. Work experience and voltuntary - nothing amazing, just the usual really.

Tips: Ace your BMAT!!!! :eek2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rocket_Science)
    Who here is currently studying medicine at oxbridge/applying to it? What are you GCSES, AS levels, work experience and your voluntary work like? Got any tips? :P
    the trick is to have:
    >8a* at gcse,
    biology, chemistry and one other respectable AS over 90% and the other at A grade,
    and then aim to get 22.5 or higher on the BMAT
    that is just grades-wise (all of these seem to be easier said then done)
    other than that have some decent extra-curricular i.e. work experience + sports teams or music.

other than that it is simply a matter of luck and picking a college you like

ReputationRep:
    Am in Year 12, have made up my mind that I want to do Medicine, and that I will be applying to Oxbridge for entry in 2011. Have a few questions though - if anyone (who's currently there/applied this year/thinking of applying) could kindly lend us a hand, I'd be very grateful!

Firstly, in terms of academic performance, do Oxbridge put any emphasis on particular sections of the BMAT? I've heard from a friend in the year above who got an offer from Cambridge this year that they (Cambridge) place more emphasis on Section 2 than Section 1 (the figures he quoted were 70% for Section 2, 30% for Section 1), and hardly any for Section 3. First off, is this true? And secondly, if it is, do Oxford likewise put any emphasis on particular sections? Is there anywhere to find out more about this?

I'm also wondering whether or not Oxford will introduce the A*AA offer from next year, for 2011 applicants. From what I've heard - and I must say it seems pretty reasonable - the fact that they're still giving AAA offers (as opposed to Cambridge) meant there were more applicants at Oxford rather than Cambridge this year.

Of course, I'd like as little competition as possible, and while it's hard to predict patterns in these things, do you think that the fact more people applied to Oxford this year could result in the reverse happening next year? And with regards to the A*, what likelihood is there that Oxford will begin introducing it into their offers from next year? Is it dependant on how it works out at Cambridge this year, or are there other factors?

Also, does anyone know whether Oxford discriminate on the basis of AS percentages, in the same way that Cambridge do?

Any advice on any of the above would be very helpful, and much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjanooooooo)
    Am in Year 12, have made up my mind that I want to do Medicine, and that I will be applying to Oxbridge for entry in 2011. Have a few questions though - if anyone (who's currently there/applied this year/thinking of applying) could kindly lend us a hand, I'd be very grateful!

Firstly, in terms of academic performance, do Oxbridge put any emphasis on particular sections of the BMAT? I've heard from a friend in the year above who got an offer from Cambridge this year that they (Cambridge) place more emphasis on Section 2 than Section 1 (the figures he quoted were 70% for Section 2, 30% for Section 1), and hardly any for Section 3. First off, is this true? And secondly, if it is, do Oxford likewise put any emphasis on particular sections? Is there anywhere to find out more about this?

Oxford weightings are: 40*S1 + 40*S2 + 20*S3 = score out of 100

Cambridge place (much) more weight on S1/S2 than S3. Some colleges have a 'favourite' section (I hear that Trinity value S2 particularly highly)

I'm also wondering whether or not Oxford will introduce the A*AA offer from next year, for 2011 applicants. From what I've heard - and I must say it seems pretty reasonable - the fact that they're still giving AAA offers (as opposed to Cambridge) meant there were more applicants at Oxford rather than Cambridge this year.

It'll be publicised on the Oxford website by the time the next UCAS cycle has started

Of course, I'd like as little competition as possible, and while it's hard to predict patterns in these things, do you think that the fact more people applied to Oxford this year could result in the reverse happening next year? And with regards to the A*, what likelihood is there that Oxford will begin introducing it into their offers from next year? Is it dependant on how it works out at Cambridge this year, or are there other factors?

They're both very competitive. I'm not sure it's worth playing the numbers game - just pick whichever you prefer (there are differences.)

Also, does anyone know whether Oxford discriminate on the basis of AS percentages, in the same way that Cambridge do?

Oxford can only see your module grades (and only then if you put them on your UCAS form). Cambridge see your UMS as you fill them in on the SAQ.

Any advice on any of the above would be very helpful, and much appreciated!
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undulipodium)
    Good luck
    Thanks for the advice! Firstly, funny you should say that about Trinity - because my friend who I refer to actually applied there himself!

I've also remembered something else which I forgot to ask in my original post. With regards to the interview process, I've heard (again from the aforementioned friend) that Cambridge actually rank the candidates before they call them to interview on the academic criteria of BMAT performance, AS UMS scores, and GCSE grades. According to how their interviews go, candidates can then move up or down the initial rankings. From what I hear, I seem to get the impression that if you ace the academic side of things, then the interview becomes less significant, to some extent.

Just wonder if you know anything about this - is it true, and if so, is it true for Cambridge generally or is it dependant on College choice? Would you happen to know what sort of (pre-interview) discriminatory system Oxford employ? And with regards to work experience, personal statment, etc. - do these not play such a big part for Cambridge applicants as for those going for Oxford?

Again, many thanks - all your advice is much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjanooooooo)
    Thanks for the advice! Firstly, funny you should say that about Trinity - because my friend who I refer to actually applied there himself!

I've also remembered something else which I forgot to ask in my original post. With regards to the interview process, I've heard (again from the aforementioned friend) that Cambridge actually rank the candidates before they call them to interview on the academic criteria of BMAT performance, AS UMS scores, and GCSE grades. According to how their interviews go, candidates can then move up or down the initial rankings. From what I hear, I seem to get the impression that if you ace the academic side of things, then the interview becomes less significant, to some extent.

Just wonder if you know anything about this - is it true, and if so, is it true for Cambridge generally or is it dependant on College choice? Would you happen to know what sort of (pre-interview) discriminatory system Oxford employ? And with regards to work experience, personal statment, etc. - do these not play such a big part for Cambridge applicants as for those going for Oxford?

Again, many thanks - all your advice is much appreciated.
    Some people have talked about it being "hard to talk your way out of a place". I'm not sure how true this is - only an admissions tutor would know for sure - but it seems that you can compensate for an average interview with an excellent BMAT score (etc.).

I know that Cambridge take everything into account when making their decision. I've heard from an Oxford medical applicant that once you've got an Oxford interview, only your interview performance matters, but again you can't be sure.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.