Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so who else is going to firm york for 2010 politics?

ReputationRep:
    I have two housemates that are doing it at the moment, and i'm taking a module. It's a really good course :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing PPE at the moment and know quite a lot of straight Politics students. I agree with WSS, it's great.

ReputationRep:
    ... meeeeeeeeeeeeee? :P

Yep. Wasn't initally my first choice but firming it now and I'm really happy about it. Some of the modules look great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambielina)
    ... meeeeeeeeeeeeee? :P

Yep. Wasn't initally my first choice but firming it now and I'm really happy about it. Some of the modules look great.
    States, Development and Conflict is awesome. Seriously, i'm an Economist and it's the best module i've taken this year by far.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Not sure yet, maybe.

Been looking at colleges - the collegiate thing is drawing me.

Trying to work out which is best.

<3

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure i will for Politics and International Relations, unless Exeter or Sheffield surprise when i visit.

ReputationRep:
    The politics department at York is really good, a lot of the lecturers are exceptional and it's got some really interesting modules. Have fun. :yy:

I most probably will be firming it,unless I get an offer from LSE,which will never happen.
    Going to the open day tomorrow so I'll know more about my choice then.

ReputationRep:
    Going open day in a few weeks - should be firming York unless Warwick give me an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    States, Development and Conflict is awesome. Seriously, i'm an Economist and it's the best module i've taken this year by far.
    That is a good module. If you enjoy that definitely take development economics next year.

ReputationRep:
    I've chosen York as my firm choice too, though I'm doing Politics with English- can't wait!!

ReputationRep:
    Yup I'm doing politics with international relations 2010 depending on whether i get my history grade.

I'm considering switching to just politics though, does anyone have any information on the the two courses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FeargusMcDuff)
    Yup I'm doing politics with international relations 2010 depending on whether i get my history grade.

I'm considering switching to just politics though, does anyone have any information on the the two courses?
    There is very little difference between the courses, and none whatsoever in the first year. From what I can gather, the IR part is just a 40 credit module that Politics people can't do.

ReputationRep:
    Also I remember the lecturer man saying that the dissertation you write in third year must be on an IR theme if you do Pol & IR. [Not a firmer but went to the post-offer open day ]

ReputationRep:
    Yah, I'm doing the Pol&IR course as well. I have read through everything I have found on the course and all modules seem very interesting. Being an EU student, I'm also a bit excited how studying in English will be : ).

The only thing that confuses me is the poor selection of exchange possibilities - I mean, the course is in itself "international" and the only Erasmus place is in Norway? Oh well, maybe they'll get some new ones for year 11/12. Has anyone else wondered this? York is still a great uni and I'm nothing but happy to go there : ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananac00kie)
    Yah, I'm doing the Pol&IR course as well. I have read through everything I have found on the course and all modules seem very interesting. Being an EU student, I'm also a bit excited how studying in English will be : ).

The only thing that confuses me is the poor selection of exchange possibilities - I mean, the course is in itself "international" and the only Erasmus place is in Norway? Oh well, maybe they'll get some new ones for year 11/12. Has anyone else wondered this? York is still a great uni and I'm nothing but happy to go there : ).
    Hey, I'm a Pol&IR second year. You're right about the Erasmus places, they do suck for politics. However, we've got a good record of getting places for the study abroad scheme: http://www.york.ac.uk/admin/intnat/s...wide/index.htm

Have a look at that. There are some very good universities there. Feel free to PM me if you would like anymore information about the course though!

ReputationRep:
    SEE YOU THERE POLITICS BROS

I'm the guy with the dyed hair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misternite)
    Hey, I'm a Pol&IR second year. You're right about the Erasmus places, they do suck for politics. However, we've got a good record of getting places for the study abroad scheme: http://www.york.ac.uk/admin/intnat/s...wide/index.htm

Have a look at that. There are some very good universities there. Feel free to PM me if you would like anymore information about the course though!
    Thank you for your help ! Yes, the study abroad places seem to be much much better, almost excellent I would say. For example The National University of Singapore and Hong Kong University are among the world's best universities. Do you know how hard it is to get a place to the study abroad scheme? I reckon it requires very good grades from the first year...

I would be happy to go on any exchange really because I value international experience highly, but since I've just started studying the German language I would most like to go on ERASMUS to a German-speaking country. I am not yet very familiar on how our department decides about ERASMUS places, so do you think there is any chance that the selection would grow for next year (11/12)? Or can students do anything to help the matter? (this is probably wishful thinking )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananac00kie)
    Thank you for your help ! Yes, the study abroad places seem to be much much better, almost excellent I would say. For example The National University of Singapore and Hong Kong University are among the world's best universities. Do you know how hard it is to get a place to the study abroad scheme? I reckon it requires very good grades from the first year...

I would be happy to go on any exchange really because I value international experience highly, but since I've just started studying the German language I would most like to go on ERASMUS to a German-speaking country. I am not yet very familiar on how our department decides about ERASMUS places, so do you think there is any chance that the selection would grow for next year (11/12)? Or can students do anything to help the matter? (this is probably wishful thinking )
    Hey, I didn't actually manage to get a place on the scheme. So I'm quite useless and a bit too bitter to give you any meaningful answers. Have a look at this thread for much better advice on the study abroad scheme: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=868987

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.