Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had a really short deadline for a Film Studies assignment - an analysis of a film extract, right - and basically since I had no time I found something similar on line and got loads, loads of ideas from it. I used a lot of the same words, and maybe even a few fully copied phrases - I can't really remember, it was uber late at night and I was being all surreal.

In any case I'm terrified because I COMPLETELY forgot they pass it through moderators and a plagiarism software program - if they find the one essay on the internet what will they do? I'm so scared, it's the end of term and this could affect my grades horribly!

If you have any idea what they'll do - or any ideas at all, thank you thank you. Will give rep.

ReputationRep:
    you cant really do anything now. and if they find out by the sounds of it its quite obvious that you've plagarised, so you may well be kicked off the course, or possibly just that piece of coursework given a U. dont know how leniant they'll be

ReputationRep:
    Well if you used the exact same phrases from the film extract, then yes, you've probably plagerised.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you plagiarized, and are royally ****** if you get caught. Go and tell your teacher you forgot to put citations. Although TBH I don't hold much sympathy for those who copy their coursework verbatim from the internet. You did, to put no finer point upon it, cheat.

ReputationRep:
    Yes if you've used exact words and phrases.

ReputationRep:
    Appeal against any decision! If they say you copied don't disagree just say I used it as a template but I got a bit caught up in it because I was doing it at late night and probably wasn't thinking a lot. Hopefully they'll understand and let you do it again.

What percentage of the grade does the coursework contrbute to?

ReputationRep:
    Pwned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dante's Not My Name)
    They may not find out. It depends on how much you put things into your own words. In my experience, at university ALOT of people got away with plagiarism but some didn't and I think the sanctions are fairly harsh for those few who are caught.

If you literally copied whole phrases without changing them then I'd say you run an above average risk of getting caught, but you might not be. Do you know anyone else who used the same source? I seem to recall people getting into trouble for plagiarism mostly because a few had used exactly the same sources as each other and this got them found out. Might also depend on how you referenced. It's hard to say without seeing the essay and the internet source side by side.

ReputationRep:
    Did you copy and paste a Guardian review? I hope you removed the hyperlinks and ads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nextmove)
    Appeal against any decision! If they say you copied don't disagree just say I used it as a template but I got a bit caught up in it because I was doing it at late night and probably wasn't thinking a lot. Hopefully they'll understand and let you do it again.

What percentage of the grade does the coursework contrbute to?
    Yes I'll definitely appeal against it - I sent it off to my tutor only today and she wrote back reminding me about plagiarism. And it just hit me - oh Christ I've gone and done it. I wrote back and asked her to disregard it, I wanted to give it a better try - but I'm sure she'll realize why and fly up.

Which, of course, she has a right to.

The percentage - I don't know, it is pretty high though - this course is at a country-style college, not a real one, so it's a bit different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome-o)
    Did you copy and paste a Guardian review? I hope you removed the hyperlinks and ads.
    No it was some small little 'essay' I found on some obscure site/blog. Nothing important but they're using software so they're bound to find it.

I did literally NO referencing though. It was late at night - it really was, and I was just bluffing my way.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds to me like you've plagarised. You probably would have been better off making up some bull **** excuse and getting an extension to find the time to finish it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poyekhali)
    Yes, you plagiarized, and are royally ****** if you get caught. Go and tell your teacher you forgot to put citations. Although TBH I don't hold much sympathy for those who copy their coursework verbatim from the internet. You did, to put no finer point upon it, cheat.
    I know. I'm not crying out for pity cards, I just want to see my options. If I am 'royally f-cked' then I am. I can deal with it. There are worse things (although cheating is pretty pathetic) - like not being intelligent at all. And I am that, at least.

ReputationRep:
    yeah you've plagiarized

[email protected]

ReputationRep:
    Zero sympathy. Yes, you've plagiarized. Yes, you may well get caught. You have no grounds for appeal, seeing as you've just admitted blatant plagiarism.

ReputationRep:
    If it's not a formal piece, you stand a chance of getting away with it as most plagiarism software only analyses formal works.

Also, the software is notoriously inaccurate as it even counts single words, so often papers are 70% plagiarised because of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dante's Not My Name)
    like not being intelligent at all. And I am that, at least.
    Copying and pasting suggests otherwise, their assessment was fair, whether you agree with it or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Zero sympathy. Yes, you've plagiarized. Yes, you may well get caught. You have no grounds for appeal, seeing as you've just admitted blatant plagiarism.
    I didn't admit to it - not to the teacher. I may get another try, seeing as this is my first assignment for the course.

I have zero sympathy for myself, trust me. It's a truly lame thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's Ken!)
    Copying and pasting suggests otherwise, their assessment was fair, whether you agree with it or not.
    Copying and pasting doesn't equate a lack of intelligence - but laziness, lack of pride in one's work, even a lack of creativity - yeah.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.