Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I'm hopefully transferring to Lancaster in September, into second year, so will be eligible for a place in halls. I had a look around earlier this month and only got shown a bit of the Cartmel halls. They look nice, but I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get to see any other ones.

I liked the look of Lonsdale, as it seemed to have quite a homey, community feel to it when I passed through it, but I was also interested in the county town houses and didn't get to see this area at all.

I was wondering if anyone here has lived in the county townhouses, or in county south, or even Lonsdale and could tell me what it is like in each? Also any photos of the County townhouse area would be great since I didn't even see the outside of it!

Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hey. As far as I'm aware Cartmel & Lonsdale accommodation is all the same. As for County - there are a few pics of both County South and the townhouses on the 'Accommodation' thread, I think. County South is practically identical to Cartmel anway, but the rooms & kitchen might be slightly bigger in County.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *banana)
    Hey. As far as I'm aware Cartmel & Lonsdale accommodation is all the same. As for County - there are a few pics of both County South and the townhouses on the 'Accommodation' thread, I think. County South is practically identical to Cartmel anway, but the rooms & kitchen might be slightly bigger in County.
    Thanks! I have seen the photos on the site but they dont really give much away. Also, do you think that maybe it would be a bit isolated up in county? It seems a bit further away from some of the cental things like alexandra square than the other colleges.

I was just looking at county because Im doing english so assumed most of my lessons would be up there. I saw the front of county south from the window when talking to a lecturer, it looks nice from the outside anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JellyBean123)
    Thanks! I have seen the photos on the site but they dont really give much away. Also, do you think that maybe it would be a bit isolated up in county? It seems a bit further away from some of the cental things like alexandra square than the other colleges.

I was just looking at county because Im doing english so assumed most of my lessons would be up there. I saw the front of county south from the window when talking to a lecturer, it looks nice from the outside anyway!
    Not at all! I was in County & loved it It's actually loads closer to Alex Sq. than Cartmel & Lonsdale. I never felt out the way - it only takes about 2 mins to walk to Alex Sq. from County South, a little bit further to the town houses.

As for pics, I don't have any I'm afraid & I've not been inside the town houses, but I knew someone last year and she said the bedrooms were kind of the same as the ensuite rooms but they're bigger because they don't have the ensuite pod in the corner. As for the rest of the house, I don't really know I'm afraid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *banana)
    Not at all! I was in County & loved it It's actually loads closer to Alex Sq. than Cartmel & Lonsdale. I never felt out the way - it only takes about 2 mins to walk to Alex Sq. from County South, a little bit further to the town houses.

As for pics, I don't have any I'm afraid & I've not been inside the town houses, but I knew someone last year and she said the bedrooms were kind of the same as the ensuite rooms but they're bigger because they don't have the ensuite pod in the corner. As for the rest of the house, I don't really know I'm afraid!
    Thanks! Hmmm well now I am thinking more of county haha. Choices choices.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Hmmm well now I am thinking more of county haha. Choices choices.
    I'm a prospective student too, so I haven't had experience living anywhere on Lancaster Campus (well, apart from a guest room for one night! :P)

However, I *did* visit the town houses on the open day. From memory (which isn't particularly brilliant, I must say) the rooms did look a lot bigger than visiting the en-suite. I'm kind of mulling over the town houses too, as someone who would hate living without en-suite, as it's a single-sex bathroom shared between two it's actually quite good. Plus, you get a bath AND shower, so if you need a quick wash or long, relaxing bathe, you'll be set.

The other thing is that I think it's slightly more sociable. In this, I mean that in some flats you might be with as little as 5 other people (again, all from memory of the open day!) although you could get a much larger number! But you'll definitely be living with 11 other people in the townhouse, thus 11 different personalities to befriend!

My only problem with the townhouses were the stairs. If someone's coming down, and you're going up, there isn't much room for manoeuvre, but unless you're massively obtuse I think this is something I can overlook for myself anyway.

That all being considered, you have a lovely big living room and a really nice kitchen - all the new flats have lovely kitchens as well, but the houses are lovely - oh yeah, and it's cheaper/longer rent than an ensuite!

Anyhoo -- that's what my opinion on them were! I'm thinking Fylde/Grizedale in respect to ensuite flats and County for the townhouses ^_^

I'm actually really excited -- I love the idea of Lancaster now!!!

ReputationRep:
    Something to bear in mind with townhouses- there is no cleaner whatsoever. So you have to take your own rubbish out, hoover the stairs and all the rest of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    Something to bear in mind with townhouses- there is no cleaner whatsoever. So you have to take your own rubbish out, hoover the stairs and all the rest of it.

Oh yeah and that XD

ReputationRep:
    heya jellybean123,

ReputationRep:
    Heya jellybean123,

Im transferring into 2nd year at Lancastr next sept as well! Im hoping to look at accommodation when I go to the departmental open day in feb.... but I dnt have a clue which to choose! there are lots of pics of rooms on some other threads on this site which are quite good
    x

ReputationRep:
    The other thing to remember with town houses is that they are very popular and over-subscribed, so there is less chance of you getting the accommodation you want. Apply for them by all means, but don't set your heart on one, as you may be disappointed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizj)
    The other thing to remember with town houses is that they are very popular and over-subscribed, so there is less chance of you getting the accommodation you want. Apply for them by all means, but don't set your heart on one, as you may be disappointed!
    + you might end up in the same college but in a non-en suite room for example.

That's why I chose Cartmel and Lonsdale so that it'd not happen.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, lots of advice here! Thanks guys.

I do like the idea of the townhouses, but after living for a year sharing a bathroom with three other people I am quite set on the idea of en - suite. God, the girl I share with is worse than the two boys! Its gross, hair everywhere, fake tan streaked all down the bath, make up in the sink. URGH.

Maybe county south/lonsdale, then townhouse.....

ReputationRep:
    Ah, lots of advice here! Thanks guys.

I do like the idea of the townhouses, but after living for a year sharing a bathroom with three other people I am quite set on the idea of en - suite. God, the girl I share with is worse than the two boys! Its gross, hair everywhere, fake tan streaked all down the bath, make up in the sink. URGH.

Maybe county south/lonsdale, then townhouse.....
    :eek: If I get a towhouse and my bathroom "s/o" does that ****, I will screwwww.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedRevolver)
    :eek: If I get a towhouse and my bathroom "s/o" does that ****, I will screwwww.
    I know, it is not nice! The two boys I share with are fine, no mess at all from them, they dont even leave the toilet seat up! But GOD she's disgusting. I dont get along with her anyway so this just all makes it worse. She plays her crap music really loud aaallll the time, never washes up in the kitchen, uses my stuff without asking, leaves it dirty on the side etc etc..... I could go on.

As for the townhouses, they do look amazing. Im quite torn between them and an ensuite in county south/lonsdale! Hmm. Oh well, I have a few weeks to think I suppose. Almost finished my form and getting my reference sorted this thursday, almost there!

ReputationRep:
    I know, it is not nice! The two boys I share with are fine, no mess at all from them, they dont even leave the toilet seat up! But GOD she's disgusting. I dont get along with her anyway so this just all makes it worse. She plays her crap music really loud aaallll the time, never washes up in the kitchen, uses my stuff without asking, leaves it dirty on the side etc etc..... I could go on.

As for the townhouses, they do look amazing. Im quite torn between them and an ensuite in county south/lonsdale! Hmm. Oh well, I have a few weeks to think I suppose. Almost finished my form and getting my reference sorted this thursday, almost there!
    Indeed Although I have longer to decide (damn offers!) I am a bit 'Eh' over sharing at all. Also, I have lived in the top room all my life (I grew up in a townhouse' and it's not that brilliant being right at the to). So, I would hate to have to have the top room. Plus, the idea of being able to just slip in and out of the shower whenever I want sounds like bliss...it may only be one other person, but imagine if you get a really vain person (like my sister!) who can use the bathroom to shower/bathe up to like, 3 times a day? Or generally has the same bathing patterns as your own? :eek3: I imagine I'm being overly cautious but haha, oh well.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed Although I have longer to decide (damn offers!) I am a bit 'Eh' over sharing at all. Also, I have lived in the top room all my life (I grew up in a townhouse' and it's not that brilliant being right at the to). So, I would hate to have to have the top room. Plus, the idea of being able to just slip in and out of the shower whenever I want sounds like bliss...it may only be one other person, but imagine if you get a really vain person (like my sister!) who can use the bathroom to shower/bathe up to like, 3 times a day? Or generally has the same bathing patterns as your own? :eek3: I imagine I'm being overly cautious but haha, oh well.
    Go for Cartmel then.:p:

ReputationRep:
    I know! I mean yesterday morning I wanted a shower before going out, went to open the door and she was in there having a bloody bath! For two hours! I had to go downstairs and ask to use their shower (we're in a house, four of us use the top bathroom and two on the bottom).

An en suite sounds like heaven right now...

ReputationRep:
    hi
    i live in county south atm and really like it the only downside is that you dont get a sofa, which is a bit of a pain. also, county is really central, about 5 mins from spar and 2/3 mins from alex square and the underpasss. if you're doing english as well then you can just roll out of bed and be in your lectures

the townhouses are really nice too, theyre quite social. the only thing is is that theyre all full for next year, so it doesnt look like likely that youd get one. its the same situation in the grizedale townhouses too. but you could always apply for them in your 3rd year, where you've got priority over the 2nd years.

county main is a nice place too. you have to share a bathroom between 13 people, but when i say bathroom its more like really posh cubicles with a toilet, sink and shower and you share that between 2-3 people. plus you get sofas

ReputationRep:
    Im interested in County and if they are too far away from Management school department?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.