Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by displayerror)
    With me its strange, I normally turn up late as I get ready really early then start freaking out as I have a problem with time depth as I could have 45 minutes before I have to leave and it feels like plenty of time so my brain says relax, then because my brain is starting to relax it gets a bit messed up so starts not rushing.

I have this problem too. I have a really poor sense of time and get distracted easily, but then when I do realise I get very anxious.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, bit of an update, on Monday morning couldnt get hold of course leader so didnt go to the class but sent an email and phoned admin office, they said its a standard thing as I didnt contact them and as long as I have a doctors note its fine, got a reply from course leader saying he got the emails before Christmas but assumed each time it meant I would be back a day or so later, but didnt get them after christmas, but said to contact Student Support, contacted student support who said lecturer contacted them last week about his worries and they are making an appointment to see course leader which they did for Friday morning and will be there with me.

What I am worried about is being asked to leave as though I did the work for the first semester I had to email it instead of hand it in and I was supposed to do a presentation and again I did the work but as I was ill I missed the actual class.

What I was told by the uni though was as I thought, withdrawal is VOLUNTARY, I cannot be forced to leave so as long as I dont sign the form they cannot make me leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notanumber)
    Having Aspergers presumably means that you find it difficult to understand others' viewpoints. In simple terms if you have problems, you need to speak to your tutors and find out what support is available from the disabilities team.

If you know it takes more effort and time to do things, you have to start earlier. By the age of 26, having Aspergers should not be your excuse for being late. Everyone is paying course fees so that doesn't really give you more rights than anyone else. You need to find out what rights you have because of your disabilities but you have still got to put in the effort on your course.

As far as the university is concerned, you transferred in November and appear to be turning up to less than half the lectures (and those you do go to, you're missing the first 10-15 minutes because you are late). You presumably know how long it takes you to get to university, so make sure you leave in plenty of time.

If you're entitled to extra time for the essay, you need to keep in proper contact with them and make sure your tutors know that. I would suggest in future that you try to get essays in on time as having extensions does not make the work go away, so does not really benefit you anyway. Thinking that you have a right to extra time probably does not help your organisational skills, which seem to be a major problem.

It's not surprising that they have sent you a letter. I realise that Aspergers makes it hard to understand the viewpoint of others, but if (and it looks like a big if) you want to do the course, you are going to have to explain your difficulties to your tutor and then make sure you get to lectures on time, do the work and communicate with the university if you are ill. You have rights, but you also have responsibilities and you are not going to get a degree unless you are prepared to accept that and work harder than others who do not have your problems. Universities are big institutions and can only work effectively if you make the effort to communicate with them.
    I only found out about the Aspergers a year ago btw so though I am 26 its still new to be being diagnosed and dealing with it.

I understand that I have to work harder but expect a bit of understanding that I have had to make more effort to do what other people find easier so to be told other people have no problems so why should I doesnt take that into account.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, bit of an update, on Monday morning couldnt get hold of course leader so didnt go to the class but sent an email and phoned admin office, they said its a standard thing as I didnt contact them and as long as I have a doctors note its fine, got a reply from course leader saying he got the emails before Christmas but assumed each time it meant I would be back a day or so later, but didnt get them after christmas, but said to contact Student Support, contacted student support who said lecturer contacted them last week about his worries and they are making an appointment to see course leader which they did for Friday morning and will be there with me.

What I am worried about is being asked to leave as though I did the work for the first semester I had to email it instead of hand it in and I was supposed to do a presentation and again I did the work but as I was ill I missed the actual class.

What I was told by the uni though was as I thought, withdrawal is VOLUNTARY, I cannot be forced to leave so as long as I dont sign the form they cannot make me leave.
    Does the doctor's note cover the relevant periods?
    But sound good that a representative from student support will be there with you.

Do you know what the assessments and dates are for this term?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    Does the doctor's note cover the relevant periods?
    But sound good that a representative from student support will be there with you.

Do you know what the assessments and dates are for this term?
    For all but 1 class since thats the Monday one, basically have 2 essays due in 2 weeks, only 1500 words each but will be a bit of effort.

Shame though that I was going to bed sometime in the next 30 minutes but my housemate has decided to bring loads of friends round and have a house party which has already smashed one of my pint glasses and I can hear smashing and banging as if someone is throwing heavy stuff about, I just hope my pc in the living room isnt broken as put it this way, I would get so mad I would smash a chair over their head.

When my future is on the line and I am not able to go to bed as somepeople want to drink and be """"" its annoying.

My flatmate even told me yesterday hes not going drinking tonight as he normally does on a Thursday as hes going away tommorow for the weekend with his friends!

Starting to stress since I want a good nights sleep and not to be stressed to before bed hearing drunk people(and likely stoned) smashing likely my stuff up and keeping me awake.

ReputationRep:
    For all but 1 class since thats the Monday one, basically have 2 essays due in 2 weeks, only 1500 words each but will be a bit of effort.
    What are the essays on?
    Have you tried using mind map software? I do and it helps me a lot.

Shame though that I was going to bed sometime in the next 30 minutes but my housemate has decided to bring loads of friends round and have a house party which has already smashed one of my pint glasses and I can hear smashing and banging as if someone is throwing heavy stuff about, I just hope my pc in the living room isnt broken as put it this way, I would get so mad I would smash a chair over their head.

When my future is on the line and I am not able to go to bed as somepeople want to drink and be """"" its annoying.

My flatmate even told me yesterday hes not going drinking tonight as he normally does on a Thursday as hes going away tommorow for the weekend with his friends!

Starting to stress since I want a good nights sleep and not to be stressed to before bed hearing drunk people(and likely stoned) smashing likely my stuff up and keeping me awake.
    At the risk of stating the very obvious, sounds like you need to see if there are other accommodation options.

ReputationRep:
    What are the essays on?

At the risk of stating the very obvious, sounds like you need to see if there are other accommodation options.
    I was given Inspirations with my laptop when I got DSA help but was never trained in it so never used it.

My accomodation is generally fine, I rarely hear from the guy as hes often at his friends round the corner but about once a week(normally Thursdays) he goes out for his main night, he drinks most nights but this is his main and sometimes hes only here for an hour with volume on mid, sometimes its so loud the floor has bass, it seems to depend on what friends he has round as 2 of them like to get wasted before they leave so can barely stagger to club and leave after a hour or so.

As long as hes gone by midnight at latest I will be fine but hopefully by 11 any more and I will be groggy by bed time.

ReputationRep:
    What are the essays on?

I was given Inspirations with my laptop when I got DSA help but was never trained in it so never used it.

The essays are quite confusing, one is just do 1500 words on the history of ANY media organisation be it tv, game, movie etc other is 1500 words but I have to interview someone about something they found shocking in their life or just something that generally meant something important and need to either record it or get notes and ask questions.

My accomodation is generally fine, I rarely hear from the guy as hes often at his friends round the corner but about once a week(normally Thursdays) he goes out for his main night, he drinks most nights but this is his main and sometimes hes only here for an hour with volume on mid, sometimes its so loud the floor has bass, it seems to depend on what friends he has round as 2 of them like to get wasted before they leave so can barely stagger to club and leave after a hour or so.

As long as hes gone by midnight at latest I will be fine but hopefully by 11 any more and I will be groggy by bed time.

ReputationRep:
    I was given Inspirations with my laptop when I got DSA help but was never trained in it so never used it..
    Do you need training with inspirations?
    I have not used it for a while, (UoW system has MindMap), so can't recall exactly what keys do what. But just need to know the keys for:
    i)insert a new box at this level.
    ii)insert a new box at the next level.

and then you can move stuff around using cut and paste.
    So I think it is certainly worth giving it ago.

I also have had problems with noise in past. Have you tried ear plugs?
    Certainly not a complete or permanent solution. But it certainly helps with ocassional noise problems.

ReputationRep:
    Go see a doctor (the same one who dealt with your chest infection) and get them to write a note...the uni can't argue with that.

ReputationRep:
    Do you need training with inspirations?
    I have not used it for a while, (UoW system has MindMap), so can't recall exactly what keys do what. But just need to know the keys for:
    i)insert a new box at this level.
    ii)insert a new box at the next level.

and then you can move stuff around using cut and paste.
    So I think it is certainly worth giving it ago.

I also have had problems with noise in past. Have you tried ear plugs?
    Certainly not a complete or permanent solution. But it certainly helps with ocassional noise problems.
    Not this year was thinking of them last year since imagine what this guy is like now but louder and all night every night but didnt in the end as felt so crap I didnt go up town to ge them.

Dont know to laugh or not but one of his friends walked into my room and kept pestering me to come with them drinking and I said I cant as tommorow is very important, then the guy nicked my screwdriver and said he as going to wind up the people downstairs with it.

ReputationRep:
    Not this year was thinking of them last year since imagine what this guy is like now but louder and all night every night but didnt in the end as felt so crap I didnt go up town to ge them.

Dont know to laugh or not but one of his friends walked into my room and kept pestering me to come with them drinking and I said I cant as tommorow is very important, then the guy nicked my screwdriver and said he as going to wind up the people downstairs with it.
    I got some online from these people:
    http://www.britishsnoring.co.uk/shop...e1d73303fd53eb

And they work really well.

The essays are quite confusing
    They seem to give a lot of freedoom.
    Too much choice perhaps?

one is just do 1500 words on the history of ANY media organisation be it tv, game, movie etc other is 1500 words
    So what kind of thing interests you?

but I have to interview someone about something they found shocking in their life or just something that generally meant something important and need to either record it or get notes and ask questions.
    Any ideas yet of who you might interview?

ReputationRep:
    2) Unis computer attendence systems can produce threatening output.
    (I know this fromy experience as a Warwick Seminar Tutor). They are designed for a neuro-typical world.
    I've found this too. I've missed a seminar twice (not two weeks in a row either) and got an email because my attedance is poor. What isn't helping is that the tutor didn't always have the register for us to sign.

Despite me telling them both times I was ill, I still got called in.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ok got back a few hours ago, generally positive I hope, said that if I dont have medical evidence I will just be referred and when I hand work in will get a maximum mark of 40% per assignment and for the module? if I get medical evidence then I SHOULD get the marks I would get.

Found out my first essay I did before I was ill got 56% for, not sure if thats good or bad taking into account I started late, had no notes and the lecturer said he knew about my dyslexia and dyspraxia so would mark a bit less harshly but dont know if he did.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.