Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, since its a slow night and TSR hasn't been trolled to any exceptionally interesting standard I thought I'd post a thread on whatever subject was on my mind at the time.

The topic, should you choose to reply to it is thus:

Do you sometimes wish you could just completely wipe your existence from the internet?
    Are there people on FB you really wish you could de-friend but really cant be bothered with the drama/mutual friendship-collateral damage you'd have to manage?

---------------------------------------------------------------

The topic comes to mind because frankly there are times when I really cannot be bothered with my friends but cannot cut them off because it will just be a nuisance in day to day real life (I am around them too often, or whatever) or it will drag other mutual friends into the situation and I don't want to create grief for the people I actually like.

Life before social networking sites used to be so simple. If you didn't like someone, great!
    Because you could avoid them and effectively are cut out from your life. Now they fester on your FB friends list like a pimple on your face the night before a date/party. Not the end of the world but still groan worthy when you're reminded its still there.

-----------------------------------------------------------

TSR H&R is no stranger to the "I have no friends/I find it hard to make friends/friend drama!!1!" topics so lets mix things up a little.

Reply if you DON'T want someone or someones as a friend(s).

ReputationRep:
    Story of my life!

Especially when they try to start talking to you on fb chat

ReputationRep:
    no i love facebook, its helped me get back in touch with friends i lost touch with and is now getting me something close to a social life

ReputationRep:
    Some people, yes!

(Original post by IDareYou)
    Story of my life!

Especially when they try to start talking to you on fb chat
    Learn how to appear offline!
    An invaluable tool.

Fb chat doesn't work very well, and I have MSN. No reason to use it!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Yes.

ReputationRep:
    If I don't like people I tell them, I don't go out of my way to do it, but I don't see why I should have to bend over backwards to please thoughs people who get on my nerves.

You don't have to like everyone, and by no means do you need to be liked by everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Not wipe my total existence on the internet, just restart my facebook really.

ReputationRep:
    there are some people i don't want to be friends with on fb but it as got me back in touch with people i used to know back in the day so it has been helpful to

ReputationRep:
    I do wish i hadn't joined facebook But then i wouldn't have had a chance to catch up with an old friend who uses it.imo facebook does more harm than good.i should be studying but i find myself on there.i need to sort my life out... *sigh*.

ReputationRep:
    http://incredimazing.com/static/medi...olStoryBro.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I've definately got jackass acquaintances who call themselves my 'friends'. Sometimes it can be the case where cutting contact can create some social drama so it's just not worth the hassle. On most occasions though I just say it like it is and tell them that they annoy me.

Nothing beats that awkward cold atmosphere when you happen to see eachother every now and then :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I guess so.
    There are lots of people I'm not really fussed about.
    I just set myself to 'appear offline' and skim past anything of theirs that appears on the newsfeed 'cause deleting them isn't worth the hassle.

ReputationRep:
    No because If someone is annoying me or I dislike them I delete/reject them.

ReputationRep:
    yep, i really don't like facebook. Text or ring me, so much better

(Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    So, since its a slow night and TSR hasn't been trolled to any exceptionally interesting standard I thought I'd post a thread on whatever subject was on my mind at the time.

The topic, should you choose to reply to it is thus:

Do you sometimes wish you could just completely wipe your existence from the internet?
    Are there people on FB you really wish you could de-friend but really cant be bothered with the drama/mutual friendship-collateral damage you'd have to manage?

---------------------------------------------------------------

The topic comes to mind because frankly there are times when I really cannot be bothered with my friends but cannot cut them off because it will just be a nuisance in day to day real life (I am around them too often, or whatever) or it will drag other mutual friends into the situation and I don't want to create grief for the people I actually like.

Life before social networking sites used to be so simple. If you didn't like someone, great!
    Because you could avoid them and effectively are cut out from your life. Now they fester on your FB friends list like a pimple on your face the night before a date/party. Not the end of the world but still groan worthy when you're reminded its still there.

-----------------------------------------------------------

TSR H&R is no stranger to the "I have no friends/I find it hard to make friends/friend drama!!1!" topics so lets mix things up a little.

Reply if you DON'T want someone or someones as a friend(s).
    Yes very well said you are my bruva from anotha mutha my idol my big man thanks for that real honest post, many people are too reliant on fb this fb that and its ruining the world. Rant over. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.