Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I used to be really bad at maths but about a year ago I got really interested in it for some reason and now im getting really good scores

ReputationRep:
    I was really bad at maths, and got better just be doing lots of revision from past papers, memorising mark schemes but not just learning actually trying to understand where all the figures have come from and why certain formulas have been used etc...

ReputationRep:
    thankyou for all the comments , really helpful..

ReputationRep:
    shouldn't it be 'how does one excel in mathematics'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    Good at mathematics, perhaps, but you've a way to go on the explaining your ideas part
    whaaaaat?

ReputationRep:
    People aren't born with the same amount of intelligence. Some people are born with mathematically wired brains, others with aptitudes for other subjects or things, others none. Some people can do maths without trying, others with a more general, non specific intelligence have to work at it, do lots of practice. Some people just aren't cut out for it, and will never be able to do it with any amount of practice. I'm one of the people with a reasonable general intelligence, not a maths specific one, who had to work quite hard to do maths, doing endless practice papers until I could get the questions right.

(Original post by tazarooni89)
    For me it was probably due to a lot of practice at a young age, and being exposed to mathematics in a way that actually got me interested in it, rather than as a chore.
    Exactly this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr hannibal lecter)
    Is it all just practise?
    everyone when they're born start at the same amount of intelligence , however some are exposed to mathematics much more than others , and they become fluent in it ..does everyone think this is the case..If that is Im 20 , if I just went into a room and did maths for 1 year and did nothing else would that make me better at mathematics or a better mathematician..what does one have to do to be a better mathematician(other than practise)?

This is genuinely supposed to be not a troll or something I really would like to know ..

thanks for any useful comments
    I think this is where you're going wrong. Intelligence is genetically determined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheylan)
    shouldn't it be 'how does one excel in mathematics'?
    I agree.

He exceeded the speed limit and was fined £100.

He excelled at mathematics and became a professor at the age of twenty-one.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I guess its just loads of practise. But there are other things to do

(Original post by Xenopus)
    Some people can do maths without trying
    No, everyone will struggle at some stage. Else there wouldn't be an endless list of open problems!

ReputationRep:
    Im still lost..
    "What does exceeding in maths mean?" Is there something more out there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr hannibal lecter)
    Is it all just practise?
    everyone when they're born start at the same amount of intelligence , however some are exposed to mathematics much more than others , and they become fluent in it ..does everyone think this is the case..If that is Im 20 , if I just went into a room and did maths for 1 year and did nothing else would that make me better at mathematics or a better mathematician..what does one have to do to be a better mathematician(other than practise)?

This is genuinely supposed to be not a troll or something I really would like to know ..

thanks for any useful comments
    If you practise lots then you get better. The act of practicing is commonly said to be conducive to attaining perfection, but I don't believe in perfection.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Please forgive my facetiousness... EDIT: oh darn, I'm not the first (exceed =/= excel). Oh well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harlequin Jester)
    I think this is where you're going wrong. Intelligence is genetically determined.
    not interested in the nature vs nurture debate..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenopus)
    People aren't born with the same amount of intelligence. Some people are born with mathematically wired brains, others with aptitudes for other subjects or things, others none. Some people can do maths without trying, others with a more general, non specific intelligence have to work at it, do lots of practice. Some people just aren't cut out for it, and will never be able to do it with any amount of practice. I'm one of the people with a reasonable general intelligence, not a maths specific one, who had to work quite hard to do maths, doing endless practice papers until I could get the questions right.
    I really believe it depends on the person's interest ...I never liked maths when I was young as a matter of fact I always hated it to be honest addig and multiplication didnt seem interesting to me at all and as a result I got 40/100 in my 4th grade..but now I have gained an intrest(2years ago 100/100 in my 12th grade) it feels like I can or anyone can get better at maths who has a intrest in it ..

ReputationRep:
    Good question, I would also like to know more about developing a better skill in Maths, whether Genetics (intelligence) is the main factor or, one can actually develop his skills in Maths to a high level if he tries and has a geniune interest in it whether or not he is naturally intelligent.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I remember reading an interview by the great man himself: Terrace Tao. And the guy is obviously genius but he was very modest. He just said that he's done so much maths that he can spot links and think of things others wouldn't have thought of because he's done so much and he's bound to find connections which some would think are innovative and genius leaps when really they're not to him.

Also, I don't think Sir Isaac Newton was even regarded as a genius when he was growing up. It was obviously nurture rather than nature I think. On the other hand people reckon Euller and Gauss were child proidgies. So I don't know. In all cases though, the more exposure to maths, the better one becomes at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallon)
    Also, I don't think Sir Isaac Newton was even regarded as a genius when he was growing up. It was obviously nurture rather than nature I think. On the other hand people reckon Euller and Gauss were child proidgies. So I don't know. In all cases though, the more exposure to maths, the better one becomes at it.
    thats very reassuring..but I read somewhere newton never really cared about getting top marks , only once when he challenged a top student and he ended up with the highest mark..

Also Euler was supposed to have a super memory he could recall techniques and methods , which always comes in handy.

ReputationRep:
    Our schools best student academically is a /average/poor mathematician.
    Your results can be what you want them to be. Your mathematical thinking can be enhanced yet some will always have limited ability. This has no influence on A level results though

ReputationRep:
    Mathematics, for me, is all about substitution and representation. It's about making many few and the complex simple. x apples and y pears = xy apples and pears. When I understood what maths was all about, I was able to practise and apply it to real life situations and ultimately improve my marks. As far as the nature vs nurture debate, there really are people out there predisposed to a greater intellectual capacity but that does not mean a person with an average IQ cannot achieve greatness, it just means it will take them either longer or require them to think (and work) a lot harder.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 30, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.