Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I was wondering about studying Italian (and Russian possibly) at university. At the moment, I'd quite like to do something in translating or perhaps diplomacy. However, I know Italian isn't very widely spoken - especially in relation to the other romance languages - would this be a big problem when trying to get a job after my degree?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenia.)
    Hi

I was wondering about studying Italian (and Russian possibly) at university. At the moment, I'd quite like to do something in translating or perhaps diplomacy. However, I know Italian isn't very widely spoken - especially in relation to the other romance languages - would this be a big problem when trying to get a job after my degree?

Thank you!
    I learnt Italian as a subsiduary module in my first year of Uni. I studied French as my main language.

I found it a lovely language to learn, it isn't difficult compared to German/Russian but perhaps not as useful. In terms of business and future career, I'd suggest learning an up-and-coming language like Mandarin or Urdu but I understand these are difficult to come by in Uni's. If you want to learn a romance language, learn French/Spanish as they are far more widely spoken around the world and would be more useful in business and if you want to travel.

If you need anymore advice, I'll try and help :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Italian is pretty handy and catching on in Italy.

ReputationRep:
    It's a lovely language. I picked it up at ab initio level this year and I love it so much I'm going to keep it next year.
    It's not very widely spoken though so I'd recommend having at least one of your languages as a widely spoken one.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Italian as part of my degree now (along with Spanish and Catalan), and I can honestly say that it's not worth just doing a degree in Italian. That's not to say it's not useful, it's just not a widely spoken language in terms of job prospects - unless you want to work in Italy, or in a business with Italian connections, or in education, you're out of luck.

Politics is mainly limited to French and English; the 'wider world' is mostly English and Spanish (or Mandarin and Urdu if you go East rather than West), while Italian is only Italy. Your best bet is to learn two languages, with Italian as an elective. You'll get more out of yourself, your future, and your languages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenia.)
    Hi

Thank you!
    Well the fact it isn't widely spoken would put you at a big disadvantage, especially going into diplomacy or even translation. Spanish, French or Portuguese would be much more useful. It is a lovely language, though. Why not take an evening class or learn it as a hobby?

ReputationRep:
    It is a beautiful language. I definitely wouldn't choose to study a language solely because of business prospects, so if you want to study it then go for it. If you enjoy it, then chances are you'll enjoy working on it and in the end be more successful. If you're doing Russian too though that is very "useful" for business and such. A nice combination I think

ReputationRep:
    extremely useful. Especially when dealing with the criminal underworld in places like Chicago and lower Manhattan

ReputationRep:
    I say if you want to study it then do! Right now I'm on joint honours French and Italian and I'm really enjoying the Italian half way way more than the French half. Who cares if it's 'useful'? It's still a language degree which is one of the best Arts degrees you can do prospects-wise.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 5, 2010

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.