How useful is Italian? Watch

Xenia.
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi

I was wondering about studying Italian (and Russian possibly) at university. At the moment, I'd quite like to do something in translating or perhaps diplomacy. However, I know Italian isn't very widely spoken - especially in relation to the other romance languages - would this be a big problem when trying to get a job after my degree?

Thank you!
Girl♥RadioHeart
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Xenia.)
Hi

I was wondering about studying Italian (and Russian possibly) at university. At the moment, I'd quite like to do something in translating or perhaps diplomacy. However, I know Italian isn't very widely spoken - especially in relation to the other romance languages - would this be a big problem when trying to get a job after my degree?

Thank you!
I learnt Italian as a subsiduary module in my first year of Uni. I studied French as my main language.

I found it a lovely language to learn, it isn't difficult compared to German/Russian but perhaps not as useful. In terms of business and future career, I'd suggest learning an up-and-coming language like Mandarin or Urdu but I understand these are difficult to come by in Uni's. If you want to learn a romance language, learn French/Spanish as they are far more widely spoken around the world and would be more useful in business and if you want to travel.

If you need anymore advice, I'll try and help :yep:
gilbo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Italian is pretty handy and catching on in Italy.
not-another-number
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's a lovely language. I picked it up at ab initio level this year and I love it so much I'm going to keep it next year.
It's not very widely spoken though so I'd recommend having at least one of your languages as a widely spoken one.
CatatonicStupor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm doing Italian as part of my degree now (along with Spanish and Catalan), and I can honestly say that it's not worth just doing a degree in Italian. That's not to say it's not useful, it's just not a widely spoken language in terms of job prospects - unless you want to work in Italy, or in a business with Italian connections, or in education, you're out of luck.

Politics is mainly limited to French and English; the 'wider world' is mostly English and Spanish (or Mandarin and Urdu if you go East rather than West), while Italian is only Italy. Your best bet is to learn two languages, with Italian as an elective. You'll get more out of yourself, your future, and your languages.
IzzyWizzy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Xenia.)
Hi

Thank you!
Well the fact it isn't widely spoken would put you at a big disadvantage, especially going into diplomacy or even translation. Spanish, French or Portuguese would be much more useful. It is a lovely language, though. Why not take an evening class or learn it as a hobby?
sundance_kid
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It is a beautiful language. I definitely wouldn't choose to study a language solely because of business prospects, so if you want to study it then go for it. If you enjoy it, then chances are you'll enjoy working on it and in the end be more successful. If you're doing Russian too though that is very "useful" for business and such. A nice combination I think
IrvineMatthews
Report 8 years ago
extremely useful. Especially when dealing with the criminal underworld in places like Chicago and lower Manhattan
georgia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I say if you want to study it then do! Right now I'm on joint honours French and Italian and I'm really enjoying the Italian half way way more than the French half. Who cares if it's 'useful'? It's still a language degree which is one of the best Arts degrees you can do prospects-wise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (75)
27.68%
No (196)
72.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed