Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just been looking at the UKCAT prep, and came across section 5. it's really confusing me because there is no right or wrong answer and often its quite ambiguous and obviously i can't tick 2 boxes.
    how did everyone find that section and any advice would be really appreciated

ReputationRep:
    As it doesn't matter, just tick whatever you feel
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    There's no 'advice' - you choose whichever answer feels right for you. That's the point. Then it'll churn out a paragraph describing what it thinks you're like. From what I've heard most unis basically ignore it because it's only got about 5 different paragraphs to choose from, so you get thousands of applications with the same description as you.

ReputationRep:
    thanks i like have a instinct to pick one, and then i rethink it and then the question just seems so ambiguous, but i feel a bit better now. taa

ReputationRep:
    Don't do any UKCAT prep. I did UKCAT with 0 work and I got a 740. ehEUEHUEHUH. You just need to to relax.

ReputationRep:
    bloody hell!
    ukcat practise? now? wtf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogloom)
    Don't do any UKCAT prep. I did UKCAT with 0 work and I got a 740. ehEUEHUEHUH. You just need to to relax.
    lol, not bad

did last years test with no practise and managed to get over 70% right....no idea what that comes to though :p:

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about section 5! Just answer honestly. I haven't heard of anyone getting a 'negative' description of their personality so there really isn't anything to worry about. When I got to section 5 of the UKCAT i was so relieved the important part of it was over! I also heard the universities don't take it into account whilst looking at your application, so it's not very important. Apparently they only use it after they have made their offers in order to sort out work groups so they get a good balance of personalities.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    lol, not bad

did last years test with no practise and managed to get over 70% right....no idea what that comes to though :p:
    I reckon the reason I did so well was that I didn't give a ****. I had already decided I didn't want to do medicine, but did the UKCAT "because I had already payed for it/for a laugh".

To win @ UKCAT, you just have to stay calm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suzi!)
    Don't worry about section 5! Just answer honestly. I haven't heard of anyone getting a 'negative' description of their personality so there really isn't anything to worry about. When I got to section 5 of the UKCAT i was so relieved the important part of it was over! I also heard the universities don't take it into account whilst looking at your application, so it's not very important. Apparently they only use it after they have made their offers in order to sort out work groups so they get a good balance of personalities.

Good luck
    thanks, i feel better now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    bloody hell!
    ukcat practise? now? wtf
    head of year has been drilling on about it to us, so i thought i'd take a look at what it involves lool

ReputationRep:
    2 of my paragraphs completely contradicted each other, so it was a bit of a pointless exercise. Isn't this the section they introduced to reduce the amount of homicidal psycho's entering med school? Like the Notts guy who killed his parents?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisi.x)
    Just been looking at the UKCAT prep, and came across section 5. it's really confusing me because there is no right or wrong answer and often its quite ambiguous and obviously i can't tick 2 boxes.
    how did everyone find that section and any advice would be really appreciated
    Section 5 is not used in the application process, unis get sent it once you start the course- code for it's a load of **** so don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    Section 5 is not used in the application process, unis get sent it once you start the course- code for it's a load of **** so don't worry about it.
    Yea but if they manage to find any kind of a significant correlation they'll start using it for admissions. I bet that in 5 years time they'll be using it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    Yea but if they manage to find any kind of a significant correlation they'll start using it for admissions. I bet that in 5 years time they'll be using it.
    If they are still using the UKCAT in five years time then I shall purchase a hat and eat it. Stupid Test.

ReputationRep:
    OP is preparing for ukcat ALREADY!!??? oh god...you will do really well in it

ReputationRep:
    If they are still using the UKCAT in five years time then I shall purchase a hat and eat it. Stupid Test.
    haha! :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Well, they will always need an exam to separate the candidates.
    And I doubt that they'll switch to BMAT. Oh dear God please no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfy^)
    Well, they will always need an exam to separate the candidates.
    And I doubt that they'll switch to BMAT. Oh dear God please no.
    There has been research done which seems to indicate that UKCAT and other 'cognitive ability' test results have no bearing upon medical school academic performance. As much as it is fearsome, the BMAT tests your ability to revise and apply knowledge, which is probably of more use to selectors when deciding if the candidate can handle the rigours of medicine at uni. Sorry.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.