Questions(s) About Biology Watch

Spears
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
OK So I have an unconditional for Biology.:yep:

But I am confused as to the degree programme....I'm a bit of a uni noob.

Anyway, according to St A's website there are multiplie degrees within "Biology"

Say I chose "Neuroscience".....

Would the degree I come out with after 4 years be a Bsc Neuroscience and not a Bsc Biology?

Thanks

PS amirite with the"bsc":p:

Noob. Out.
sophie_c
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Spears)
OK So I have an unconditional for Biology.:yep:

But I am confused as to the degree programme....I'm a bit of a uni noob.

Anyway, according to St A's website there are multiplie degrees within "Biology"

Say I chose "Neuroscience".....

Would the degree I come out with after 4 years be a Bsc Neuroscience and not a Bsc Biology?

Thanks

PS amirite with the"bsc":p:

Noob. Out.
Yay, congrats!

Hehe, ok, so in the first two years everyone is doing just general Biology (whether they have applied for BSc Biology, or a more specific course, ie BSc Neuroscience or BSc Zoology or whatever), though you will in your 2nd year notice that you will have begun to specialize as there is a greater range of modules and cannot take them all, and will no doubt have decided whether you are a green or red Biologist.

Once you get into 3rd and 4th year, you will be a lot more specialized, and most probably will end up going down whatever path most interests you. So yes, if you have specialized, you will come out with a BSc Neuroscience (or whatever). This isn't always the case though, for example, I will only be able to graduate with a BSc Biology simply because I am doing Biology with French, and the uni can't legally call the course anything else, even if I do specialize (which I am planning on doing), so I will have BSc Biology with French, rather than BSc Zoology with French (for example).... even if I have done exactly the same as people who have ended up with BSc Zoology. This will not affect you though, unless you are considering doing a joint degree.

Also, you can choose to just do a straight general Biology degree, in which case it will be BSc Biology.

It's not a bad thing to have a specialized name btw, or to not have, as any employer in the future will look at all the modules you have studied rather than simply your degree title, due to the huge range of modules an degrees available.

Hope that's of some help, and not rambled too much!

I have a week of nothing before 2nd semester starts, so feel free to fire as many qus about the Bio department as you want
Spears
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by sophie_c)
Yay, congrats!

Hehe, ok, so in the first two years everyone is doing just general Biology (whether they have applied for BSc Biology, or a more specific course, ie BSc Neuroscience or BSc Zoology or whatever), though you will in your 2nd year notice that you will have begun to specialize as there is a greater range of modules and cannot take them all, and will no doubt have decided whether you are a green or red Biologist.

Once you get into 3rd and 4th year, you will be a lot more specialized, and most probably will end up going down whatever path most interests you. So yes, if you have specialized, you will come out with a BSc Neuroscience (or whatever). This isn't always the case though, for example, I will only be able to graduate with a BSc Biology simply because I am doing Biology with French, and the uni can't legally call the course anything else, even if I do specialize (which I am planning on doing), so I will have BSc Biology with French, rather than BSc Zoology with French (for example).... even if I have done exactly the same as people who have ended up with BSc Zoology. This will not affect you though, unless you are considering doing a joint degree.

Also, you can choose to just do a straight general Biology degree, in which case it will be BSc Biology.

It's not a bad thing to have a specialized name btw, or to not have, as any employer in the future will look at all the modules you have studied rather than simply your degree title, due to the huge range of modules an degrees available.

Hope that's of some help, and not rambled too much!

I have a week of nothing before 2nd semester starts, so feel free to fire as many qus about the Bio department as you want
Thanks alot!

I like how St Andrews tackle biology/life sciences etc, means that If in 2 years time I decide that I'd rather be "green" biologist I can start taking the "green" modules.

I don't know how flexible other universities are about changing degrees. All my other offers are for "red" biology courses.

I am currently thinking red biology but I edging slowly towards green, I'd hate to realise that I prefer green 2 years into Biomedical science .

Ah well im spewing out words now, better stop
sophie_c
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Spears)
Thanks alot!

I like how St Andrews tackle biology/life sciences etc, means that If in 2 years time I decide that I'd rather be "green" biologist I can start taking the "green" modules.

I don't know how flexible other universities are about changing degrees. All my other offers are for "red" biology courses.

I am currently thinking red biology but I edging slowly towards green, I'd hate to realise that I prefer green 2 years into Biomedical science .

Ah well im spewing out words now, better stop
Yeh it's really good, and the advisers are really helpful!

Hehe I know what you mean, when I applied, I applied for Molecular Biology as well as Biology with French (which is the offer I accepted)... how much my tastes for Biology have changed...I'm running as far from Molecular and red stuff as I can! I think I'm going down the zoology path... Thing with St Andrews is it doesn't matter which type of Biology you applied for, in 1st and 2nd year you are simply a Biology student, and it's only getting into 2nd year that you really decide whether you're red or green!
krutzemuckl
Report 8 years ago
hey, I received offers both from st andrews and ucl for biology and I am still waiting for imperial and edinburgh to answer. worst (or best) case is, that I have to choose between these 4 different unis. badly enough, I haven't got any clue which one to choose... so is there anybody who could tell me something about pros / cons for studying biology at those unis or maybe which he regards as best for biology? would be very helpful to get a comparison....
regards
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (63)
75%
Leave (21)
25%

Watched Threads