Classism from below is just envy Watch

Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Why is being a "toff" so bad, something to be covered up and mocked? It refers to people with traditional upper-class mannerisms in general, but I think it's just a term of envy...
In the same way, some working-class/underclass people use "middle class" as an insult - yet it's also used by left-wing political classes to appeal to that envy.
What is so wrong and negative about being well-off and having high-brow style and tastes?
Peachesishere
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wouldn't you like to think so.
miranda-ae
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
why would someone be jealous of someone elses mannerisms?
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by miranda-ae)
why would someone be jealous of someone elses mannerisms?

Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Whatever makes you happy
MSB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
I am often jealous of the mannerisms of models in stock photos.
faber niger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Classism from above is just pretentious greed. :rolleyes:

vin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
because its likely you're a masterbater :sadnod:
Xenopus
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Middle class is used as an insult by working class and upper class. We're bound to look down on those below us, and look up to those above us, the only difference is we show scorn outwardly for those below us because we consider ourselves better than them, and insult those above us to cover up jealousy. I don't know why you would expect human beings to act any differently.
There isn't anything wrong with having good tastes and manners, it's just natural for others, who don't even realise they are doing it, to make fun of those who are different to them.
46Bit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Pretty much true.
The Socialite
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Nothing is wrong with having expensive and high brow tastes at all. I'm called a toff sometimes and I take it as a compliment to be honest.
morecambebay
Badges: 16
Report 8 years ago
Its ridiculous to see things as 'high brow'.
Kaykiie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
Why is being a "toff" so bad, something to be covered up and mocked? It refers to people with traditional upper-class mannerisms in general, but I think it's just a term of envy...
In the same way, some working-class/underclass people use "middle class" as an insult - yet it's also used by left-wing political classes to appeal to that envy.
What is so wrong and negative about being well-off and having high-brow style and tastes?
The fact that its a lottery maybe? When we are born we are born into whatever class that your parents are in. What makes someone better than someone else just because they happened to be born into wealth?

You've obviously been insulted and taken it personally otherwise you wouldn't start a ridiculous thread claiming that people from the 'lower classes' or as you put it 'below' are just jealous of you (or your class).

Maybe if 'toffs' didn't look down on 'commoners' then they wouldn't call you 'toffs'.
bun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It is just a form of envy, and 'toffs' are used as scapeoats to critcise as being greedy instead of admitting most/some 'commoners' being so bone idle that they don't get good grades, dont get good jobs, and therefore dont get good pay.
oliver5084
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well it is true, yet I dont agree with 'toffs' who have uninformed political views on delicate subjects such as Immigration...!
gingergooner
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
Classism from above is just pretentious greed. :rolleyes:
This. A lot of "toffs" are associated with this attitude and when someone perceives themselves to be better than someone else as a direct result of having more money then people are of course going to be indignant about it. That said generalisations are all dangerous.
Giggsy's Girl
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Get out of your own arse OP!

Urgh, a toff with issues. Give me strength.
Rhadamanthus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Giggsy's Girl)
Get out of your own arse OP!

Urgh, a toff with issues. Give me strength.
You too.

Urgh, pond scum with issues. Give me strength.
meowmeowmutiny
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
People have the silly notion that by default they are automatically entitled to and deserve the lifestyle they want. When they realise this isn't the case they become envious of those who, by chance or through strength and hard work, have a better lot. In reality people of all standards of life can be happy or miserable and the path to happyness lies in accepting the hand given to you, trying your hardest to achieve what you desire and making the most of what you get.
romeosbitch
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's not always envy. I'm classist against the toffs who've no idea how to interact with the large part of society who weren't born with silver spoons in their mouths. I'm not particularly envious of being part of an alienated clique.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.59%
No (670)
60.74%
Not really bothered about them (228)
20.67%

Watched Threads