Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was going to post this on the body mod thread but as I'm after a quick answer I thought it would be more appropriate to create a new thread.

I had this done yesterday - it didn't hurt at all, in the slightest. In fact, I forgot I'd had it done. I was actually worried at how little it hurt, I thought maybe my ear was paralysed... Over active imagination. :rolleyes:
    It still doesn't hurt as such - but it keeps bleeding. I was sat eating dinner and my friend suddenly shrieked because it was running down my neck. That time the bleeding was coming from the 'back' of the piercing - I mean the bit inside my ear. It continued for about an hour, obviously slowing down and I used salt water to clear it up. Now it's a bit crusty but it has stopped.

And now, two hours later, the front has inexplicably started bleeding, though not quite as heavily as before.

I haven't knocked it recently - although I did knock it twice consecutively this morning, although not with any considerable force.

It's hardly a matter for the doctor and I can't go back to the piercer 'til tomorrow; I'd just love some reassurance that this is normal, or the knowledge that it is abnormal. I don't want to waste the piercer's time if this is a regular occurrence.

I've had other piercings and none of them have bled like this.

Thank you for your time guys.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't sound too out of the ordinary, although it's a bit weird that it's bleeding without even knocking it. Stop the bleeding with pressure (clean gauze, kitchen roll, whatever) and I'd stop the sea salt soaks for a few days to give it chance to clot properly - soaking it or cleaning off the crust/scabs can often trigger bleeding again. It might look a bit gross for a few days with dried blood, but it's best to just leave it alone for a bit, heh.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Try not to fiddle with it, clean it twice a day and it it doesn't improve, go back to see your piercer.

ReputationRep:
    i wanna get my tragus done too but im scared that it'll be painful

also i think you should do what someone else suggested, dont put the salt stuff on it for a bit to allow it to dry up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rimipie)
    i wanna get my tragus done too but im scared that it'll be painful
    I was very nervous when I had mine done and had heard from friends that it was really painful - but in fact I found this a breeze compared to the other ear piercings I've had. I'm not really into piercing so don't know the names but about mid way up the rim of my ear was really painful (but I think that's because I wanted a plain butterfly stud and they had to put that in separately).

The piercer knew I was really nervous and she promised me that she would do it as fast as she could, and she also put a numbing spray on the area. I assume that made a big difference, because I felt no pain at all.

The only thing that hurts with it is knocking it, and the 'windburn' effect you get walking in the wind. Apart from that (and the weird bleeding) that it's lovely. (touch wood!)
    If you want it go for it because I'm a wimp with a stupidly low pain threshold and it didn't hurt at all.

Thank you so much for the advice everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I"d love to get my tragus pierced, but fear it would look stupid on someone my age .

OP, keep bathing it with salt water until you can get back to see your piercer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vegastwotimes)
    I was very nervous when I had mine done and had heard from friends that it was really painful - but in fact I found this a breeze compared to the other ear piercings I've had. I'm not really into piercing so don't know the names but about mid way up the rim of my ear was really painful (but I think that's because I wanted a plain butterfly stud and they had to put that in separately).

The piercer knew I was really nervous and she promised me that she would do it as fast as she could, and she also put a numbing spray on the area. I assume that made a big difference, because I felt no pain at all.

The only thing that hurts with it is knocking it, and the 'windburn' effect you get walking in the wind. Apart from that (and the weird bleeding) that it's lovely. (touch wood!)
    If you want it go for it because I'm a wimp with a stupidly low pain threshold and it didn't hurt at all.

Thank you so much for the advice everyone.
    the piercer i'll go to if i get it done doesnt do numbing spray, my friend asked her to do it before she got her lip pierced and the piercer told my friend that she doesnt like using numbing spray on customers -_-

i think my problem is that i just need to grow a pair lol x

ReputationRep:
    I have my tragus pierced along with several other cartilage piercings and you really need to wash it twice a day in salt water, make sure you don't dry it with a towel but with cotton wool AND try really hard not to sleep on the same side of the piercing. I warn you, it can take up to a year to heal!

ReputationRep:
    The numbing spray may have something to do with why it's bleeding profusely.
    In future, try not to have any sort of numbing beforehand, as it is known to alter the healing.

(I have both my tragus's pierced, also had 2 surface tragus piercings too - pain is all part of getting a piercing for me, I don't understand people who worry about it tbh, of course it's going to hurt, but the end result is surely worth the pain?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate.)
    It doesn't sound too out of the ordinary, although it's a bit weird that it's bleeding without even knocking it. Stop the bleeding with pressure (clean gauze, kitchen roll, whatever) and I'd stop the sea salt soaks for a few days to give it chance to clot properly - soaking it or cleaning off the crust/scabs can often trigger bleeding again. It might look a bit gross for a few days with dried blood, but it's best to just leave it alone for a bit, heh.
    Sorry to be a pain in the arse... but may I pick your brains again? It's gone really crusty at the back and it's 5 days old now - is it safe to try and remove this with a Q tip soaked in salt water?

Also I read somewhere you thought tea tree oil is too strong - my mum's badgering me to use it but I'd rather ask someone who actually knows about piercings!

Thank you so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vegastwotimes)
    Sorry to be a pain in the arse... but may I pick your brains again? It's gone really crusty at the back and it's 5 days old now - is it safe to try and remove this with a Q tip soaked in salt water?

Also I read somewhere you thought tea tree oil is too strong - my mum's badgering me to use it but I'd rather ask someone who actually knows about piercings!

Thank you so much.
    Have a hot shower/bath or do a sea salt soak (stick your ear in the mug or use totally soaked cotton balls rather than q-tips) - that should soften it all up and then it should be easier to wipe off with a q-tip.

Well, tea tree oil should only really be used as a last resort for getting rid of bumps - definitely not just regular aftercare if you're not having problems! You'll probably end up irritating it if you do that. It really is very strong, even when diluted.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.