Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

So I have an unconditional offer to Glasgow University for this year (deferred entry) and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go, but I'm still not a hundred percent sure... So it would be great if you guys (current or perspective students) could tell me why you are applying or already study at the University of Glasgow.

Thanks for any comments, they're very appreciated

ReputationRep:
    The people are friendly, Glasgow is a great city and the nightlife is fab! that's why I applied lol. At the Open Day the lecturers were all so friendly and helpful

ReputationRep:
    emmm the university itself isnt great at all but the city is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keepsmilin)
    Stop talking balls.

Great nightlife, lots of things to do in Glasgow, great university with a nice campus in one of the nicest areas of Glasgow

ReputationRep:
    It's top 20... how is that not good?

The uni is absolutely fantastic, it has a great student life and is well known for it's student politics. The two unions are amazing.

I'm an ex student and I wish I could go back.

ReputationRep:
    just my opinion!
    i found everyone there very stuck up and the staff unhelpful...i didnt mean in terms of where it is in the league table.

"stop talking balls" niiice pal

ReputationRep:
    Think you got that one the wrong way around.

just my opinion!
    i found everyone there very stuck up and the staff unhelpful...i didnt mean in terms of where it is in the league table.

"stop talking balls" niiice pal
    I only found a couple of lecturers to come across as stuck up, yet they still treated me with respect. Also, what's wrong with knowing that you are working at a great uni? I would be proud if I was a lecturer or doing research at Glasgow Uni. As long as they don't brag about, it's not a problem.

(Original post by Devil in Your Details)
    Think you got that one the wrong way around.
    I think he was talking about the nightlife and Glasgow does have a decent nightlife. The West End is quite nice too and there's a few bars around there. For the rest of Glasgow, I pretty much agree with you on it being a hole. :p:

ReputationRep:
    not the lecturers, the students! what are you talking about, i didnt say anything about bragging?

i love glasgow and the people there but found that the university of glasgow didnt represent the glasgow that i know! as the majority of the people werent from glasgow.

just what i think, no need to go mad, im not insulting the uni!

ReputationRep:
    The majority of the people weren't from Glasgow? I'd say at least 70 percent are from Glasgow or very close by!
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    It's in Glasgow hahaa xx

ReputationRep:
    i dont go to glasgow though i got an unconditional offer too; that was because i didnt want to live in scotland lol. Glasgow itself is awseome though, the architecture is fantastic, reknowned school and youll definitely end up with a respected degree. the students there are really cool and relaxed too, so its a nice environment.

+ they offer some really cool stuff. A mate of mine is applying for a snell exhibition scholarship to do his PHD at Oxford uni which glasgow has an affiliation with.

ReputationRep:
    alright chillax...and its definitely nowhere near 70%...in my tutorials out of a class of say 20 only 1 or 2 were from glasgow itself....and that was the same for all 2 tutorials.

ReputationRep:
    alright chillax...and its definitely nowhere near 70%...in my tutorials out of a class of say 20 only 1 or 2 were from glasgow itself....and that was the same for all 2 tutorials.
    What course were you doing~?

ReputationRep:
    look im not even gonna get into this!

to the OP, go to glasgow...you will love it! i didnt like the university but you probably will, great city and great people, i lived there for 4 years and worked full time in the city centre for 2years and would happily go back there tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    About half of the students here are from Glasgow or nearby. Tutorial groups are not necessarily representative of the university population as a whole.

I don't even know why the issue has even become so important in this thread. The OP is asking for information about the university and doesn't really need to read some petty little debate.

OP: there are lots of international students here so it's a really thriving community within the university so you should settle in really quickly and easily. Is there anything specific you'd like to know about accommodation or your course etc.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    The majority of the people weren't from Glasgow? I'd say at least 70 percent are from Glasgow or very close by!
    45% percent are from within 30 miles. But in Scotland 30 miles takes you pretty far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittykatkat)
    45% percent are from within 30 miles. But in Scotland 30 miles takes you pretty far.

thank you! thats exactly what i mean!

i love how one sentence of mine at the very beginning of this thread caused a few people to have a go at me....the OP wanted opinions and mine was its not so great...thats it.

University open days

1. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.