Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keepsmilin)
    You don't think the university's that great but went there for 4 years? :lolwut:
    And as for the students not being from Glasgow - the university has one of the highest intakes of local students in the UK. I've been here for 3 years and I can testify to that.

Anyway, back to the OP. Glasgow is a fantastically vibrant city with some of the best culture in the UK. I chose the university itself because it ticked all the boxes for me - good reputation, great student support (unions, SRC, GUSA etc) and facilities, a buzzing social scene, and the department itself has some world class lecturers.

ReputationRep:
    didnt go there for 4 years, lived in glasgow for 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    and its definitely nowhere near 70%...in my tutorials out of a class of say 20 only 1 or 2 were from glasgow itself....and that was the same for all 2 tutorials.
    didnt go there for 4 years, lived in glasgow for 4 years.
    Something doesn't quite add up. I'm sorry to be pedantic, but one minute you're saying the university isn't that good, the next you're talking about your tutorial group, and the next you're saying you didn't even go there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    The people are friendly, Glasgow is a great city and the nightlife is fab! that's why I applied lol. At the Open Day the lecturers were all so friendly and helpful
    what in particular do you like about the city (besides the fab nightlife)? May I ask what you've applied for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom_X)
    i dont go to glasgow though i got an unconditional offer too; that was because i didnt want to live in scotland lol. Glasgow itself is awseome though, the architecture is fantastic, reknowned school and youll definitely end up with a respected degree. the students there are really cool and relaxed too, so its a nice environment.

+ they offer some really cool stuff. A mate of mine is applying for a snell exhibition scholarship to do his PHD at Oxford uni which glasgow has an affiliation with.
    well that sounds really nice, thanks for your response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smileytwin)
    what in particular do you like about the city (besides the fab nightlife)? May I ask what you've applied for?
    Apart from the social side, I like the fact that Glasgow feels like a big city but is very easy to get around as well. For example, you can get from the centre out to the university in the West End in about 10 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    thank you! thats exactly what i mean!

i love how one sentence of mine at the very beginning of this thread caused a few people to have a go at me....the OP wanted opinions and mine was its not so great...thats it.
    yeah, I wanted opinions and I appreciate every single one so thanks for your response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    You don't think the university's that great but went there for 4 years? :lolwut:
    And as for the students not being from Glasgow - the university has one of the highest intakes of local students in the UK. I've been here for 3 years and I can testify to that.

Anyway, back to the OP. Glasgow is a fantastically vibrant city with some of the best culture in the UK. I chose the university itself because it ticked all the boxes for me - good reputation, great student support (unions, SRC, GUSA etc) and facilities, a buzzing social scene, and the department itself has some world class lecturers.
    Do you have any advice on accommodation, I can't really decide between Murano and Queen margaret...I've heard Queen margaret is nicer but is it worth the extra money? Also how social is it compared to murano?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, hard to explain tbh but I'll give it a go :p:
    I live not far from Glasgow, so it feels like home. I love the people, in general. I love the fact that you can encounter so many different types of people, buskers, protestors, magicians, and anything else you can think of just walking up Buchanan Street. I love the shops. I love the West End, its coffee shops and book shops. That doesn't really cover it all but it feels like home to me. :yep: I ***** about the neds and the crappy weather, but Glasgow makes it all worth it

That was a bit soppier than I'd anticipated lol.

I've applied for French and Spanish :o: what about you?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any advice on accommodation, I can't really decide between Murano and Queen margaret...I've heard Queen margaret is nicer but is it worth the extra money? Also how social is it compared to murano?
    It depends what you want. I only visited QM to see friends, but lived at Murano. In terms of quality of what you get, QM is better - you get ensuite and the rooms are nicer. But it's also quieter.
    Murano is much better on the social side of things - more parties and stuff going on. The rooms are still very nice but you don't get ensuite, which is the big plus going for QM I guess.
    It's a trade off really. I loved Murano and the buzz there, but I could see why people would pick QM.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, hard to explain tbh but I'll give it a go :p:
    I live not far from Glasgow, so it feels like home. I love the people, in general. I love the fact that you can encounter so many different types of people, buskers, protestors, magicians, and anything else you can think of just walking up Buchanan Street. I love the shops. I love the West End, its coffee shops and book shops. That doesn't really cover it all but it feels like home to me. :yep: I ***** about the neds and the crappy weather, but Glasgow makes it all worth it

That was a bit soppier than I'd anticipated lol.

I've applied for French and Spanish :o: what about you?
    That was a very nice description, you did good:yep: and I liked that it was a bit soppy lol.
    I've applied for business economics but I'm thinking about changing it to just economics or economics with french

ReputationRep:
    That was a very nice description, you did good:yep: and I liked that it was a bit soppy lol.
    I've applied for business economics but I'm thinking about changing it to just economics or economics with french
    Yay, good! :p:
    Economics with French, Economics with French!
    Then again, I am slightly biased :p:
    I want them to hurry up and get back to me so I can either cry or dance! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yay, good! :p:
    Economics with French, Economics with French!
    Then again, I am slightly biased :p:
    I want them to hurry up and get back to me so I can either cry or dance! :p:
    Well hopefully you'll dance, I hope you get in

ReputationRep:
    Well hopefully you'll dance, I hope you get in
    Thank you! are you already in? If not, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! are you already in? If not, good luck!
    yep I'm in but thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    yep I'm in but thanks anyway
    Woo, congrats!

ReputationRep:
    Woo, congrats!
    thanks a lot If all goes well I'll have reason to congratulate you a bit later...

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot If all goes well I'll have reason to congratulate you a bit later...
    Fingers crossed :p: lol

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow is a great city, a compromise between being big and still very easy to get around. The culture, nightlife and spirit of the place is fantastic.

And the university is great too. In my experiences of my courses so far the teaching has been excellent.

ReputationRep:
    From my personal experience, it was mostly the private or very good state school pupils that went to Glasgow which will result in some people thinking that most of them are snobbish or to an extent stuck up. There are also a lot of foreign students and you may find yourself in a minority if you are from the city in your tutorial group. That isn't a bad thing though, and I found that most of the people that I did speak to there were decent enough and would say that to decide between which university you go to based on that is a really rubbish way of going about it. There are universities which are better or more respected for certain subjects and the decision should be made by weighing up whichever subject you are studying against how well the university graduates who take that course do.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.