Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There's a ton of english people in glasgow,,,,quite a few snobs too come to think about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Apart from the social side, I like the fact that Glasgow feels like a big city but is very easy to get around as well. For example, you can get from the centre out to the university in the West End in about 10 minutes.
    I agree- I'm from a really small town and thought I'd struggle with getting lost and stuff. The subway is a total lifesaver!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smileytwin)
    That was a very nice description, you did good:yep: and I liked that it was a bit soppy lol.
    I've applied for business economics but I'm thinking about changing it to just economics or economics with french

That's another good thing about here - you say you've applied for one course but you may wish to change, during the first two years you can do a wide variety of subjects and as long as you've filled the course requirements for the honours programme (your adviser will keep you right with this) you can try out all those things and choose your degree having experienced a bit of each subject.

What I would say is that I study Economics and find it a bit dull and boring (I'm in second year now). I've looked at the module options for my final two years and everything looks so much more interesting so if you're finding it a bit of a drag over the first couple of years then persist! Maybe I just feel that way because I've studied it at school and a lot of the basics we cover, I've already done and they teach them in a different way than I was taught so it gets confusing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stace-is-Ace)
    That's another good thing about here - you say you've applied for one course but you may wish to change, during the first two years you can do a wide variety of subjects and as long as you've filled the course requirements for the honours programme (your adviser will keep you right with this) you can try out all those things and choose your degree having experienced a bit of each subject.

What I would say is that I study Economics and find it a bit dull and boring (I'm in second year now). I've looked at the module options for my final two years and everything looks so much more interesting so if you're finding it a bit of a drag over the first couple of years then persist! Maybe I just feel that way because I've studied it at school and a lot of the basics we cover, I've already done and they teach them in a different way than I was taught so it gets confusing!
    Okay I was a bit confused about that, so I can change when I get there? So what else can you tell me about the economics course? I studied eco in school to (IB) so will I already have covered things that will be covered in first year at uni? My main concern is the maths content, how much math is involved in the eco course? Also how is the workload in first year?
    I would really appreciate any advice you can give me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by david78)
    Glasgow is a great city, a compromise between being big and still very easy to get around. The culture, nightlife and spirit of the place is fantastic.

And the university is great too. In my experiences of my courses so far the teaching has been excellent.
    That sounds really good because I was a bit worried about it being too big and difficult to get around, but now I'he heard that from quite a lot of people so good
    May I ask what you are studying?

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow is so easy to get around. The Subway is a ring and most Glasgow students won't venture out of the west end and the centre. So even though the city is big, the actual shopping areas are quite small and the west end is quite easy to navigate.

ReputationRep:
    Okay I was a bit confused about that, so I can change when I get there? So what else can you tell me about the economics course? I studied eco in school to (IB) so will I already have covered things that will be covered in first year at uni? My main concern is the maths content, how much math is involved in the eco course? Also how is the workload in first year?
    I would really appreciate any advice you can give me
    You probably don't even need to take the first year course (I didn't take the first module because I had to do an extra history module and initially hadn't planned on doing economics but they told me because I have an A in my A Level economics, I didn't need to take either first year module.)

The modules are like this:
    1A - Introduction to microeconomics
    1B - Introduction to macroeconomics

2A - macroeconomics plus IME (introduction to maths for economics - very easy really - you get an open book exam so you basically just need a very general knowledge of how to work out the problems and if you're not feeling very confident with maths you can join a tutorial group for people who feel they need a little extra help - it's honestly nothing to worry about )

2B - microeconomics plus EDA (economic data analysis - I've just started this course and so far it's very simple and straightforward but I'll keep you updated if you wish)

Your first year workload will be very easy. There's an essay and exam for 1A (essay = very long paragraph to economists!) and for 1B there's a group project (which was hell for me!) and an exam. The exams will be in December and May.

And yes, you can change modules and courses when you meet your adviser and within the first three weeks if you don't like something. They're very helpful here. If you get a letter asking you to fill in your websurf records and you're unsure of your subject choices you can just leave it blank - that's what I did

ReputationRep:
    I can't say the main building is my favourite. Looks good and all but there's the small problem of NEVER BEING IN THERE EXCEPT EXAM TIME!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eyes)
    I went to the open day I found the current students there to be very friendly. It also kind of reminded me of hogwarts.

Some Pictures:
    Spoiler:
    Show

wow, those pictures are really nice, definitely make me want to go there...
    So do you have Glasgow uni as a firm or insurance choice?

ReputationRep:
    I can't say the main building is my favourite. Looks good and all but there's the small problem of NEVER BEING IN THERE EXCEPT EXAM TIME!
    I was just going to ask that; are there actually any lectures in the main building? Anyway, it looks very pretty and so different to unis in Finland...

ReputationRep:
    You probably don't even need to take the first year course (I didn't take the first module because I had to do an extra history module and initially hadn't planned on doing economics but they told me because I have an A in my A Level economics, I didn't need to take either first year module.)

The modules are like this:
    1A - Introduction to microeconomics
    1B - Introduction to macroeconomics

2A - macroeconomics plus IME (introduction to maths for economics - very easy really - you get an open book exam so you basically just need a very general knowledge of how to work out the problems and if you're not feeling very confident with maths you can join a tutorial group for people who feel they need a little extra help - it's honestly nothing to worry about )

2B - microeconomics plus EDA (economic data analysis - I've just started this course and so far it's very simple and straightforward but I'll keep you updated if you wish)

Your first year workload will be very easy. There's an essay and exam for 1A (essay = very long paragraph to economists!) and for 1B there's a group project (which was hell for me!) and an exam. The exams will be in December and May.

And yes, you can change modules and courses when you meet your adviser and within the first three weeks if you don't like something. They're very helpful here. If you get a letter asking you to fill in your websurf records and you're unsure of your subject choices you can just leave it blank - that's what I did
    So I'm a bit confused; if I did eco (higher level) in IB I probably don't have to take the first year course...?
    Also on the uni website there are level 1, 2 and 3, is level 1 what you have in first year and level 2 second year?
    I'm glad math isn't a big part of the course, it really isn't my strong point but I'll probably join a tutorial group or something, sounds good
    Please keep me updated about eco 2B and EDA, that would be really nice.
    What's the group project like and why was it hell for you?
    thanx

ReputationRep:
    I was just going to ask that; are there actually any lectures in the main building? Anyway, it looks very pretty and so different to unis in Finland...
    I'm in there all the time, but only geography and business & management are based in the main building.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eyes)
    That’s good news for me then. :ahee:
    It's only really during your honours years when you'll be in there all the time, but for the first two years you'll be there for labs and tutorials. And exams, but everyone is.

ReputationRep:
    So I'm a bit confused; if I did eco (higher level) in IB I probably don't have to take the first year course...?
    Also on the uni website there are level 1, 2 and 3, is level 1 what you have in first year and level 2 second year?
    I'm glad math isn't a big part of the course, it really isn't my strong point but I'll probably join a tutorial group or something, sounds good
    Please keep me updated about eco 2B and EDA, that would be really nice.
    What's the group project like and why was it hell for you?
    thanx

You'd need to speak to your adviser about that because I think it depends on the individual case.

Yep, level 1 is first year and level 2 is second year. After that you can either go on to honours (2 more years) or take level 3. Most people at the uni start with the idea of going on to honours. .

Maths is a really small part of the course (so far!) and everyone has to have IME tutorials anyway, you can just join the one with extra classes if you feel it's a weakness.

The group project was one where we had to calculate 'student inflation' it should have been very straightforward but my grandparents got sick during the project so I had to go home a lot and my group members weren't very understanding. One member was NEVER there and didn't do any of the work but they didn't say anything to him. I was in a group with all international students besides the one who was never there and there was a bit of a language barrier. Some of the group members who 'took charge' actually didn't have a clue about the nature of the project and the night before it was handed in they all went out and I had to sit up to five am editing their terrible english and other mistakes. It was very annoying.

Note: i have no problem with international students at all but so many in one group was difficult to work with.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow is my firm choice - English Literature.

(Original post by ribeena)
    Glasgow is my firm choice - English Literature.
    :five:

I'm doing it with English Lit and History. I've also got an unconditional for St Andrews, so I'm undecided where I want to go. I live in Glasgow, and I like the uni and the course sounds pretty good, but I kind of want to go to St Andrews as well, since it has an excellent reputation and it's a lovely uni and I like the idea of moving away. :p:

ReputationRep:
    You'd need to speak to your adviser about that because I think it depends on the individual case.

Yep, level 1 is first year and level 2 is second year. After that you can either go on to honours (2 more years) or take level 3. Most people at the uni start with the idea of going on to honours. .

Maths is a really small part of the course (so far!) and everyone has to have IME tutorials anyway, you can just join the one with extra classes if you feel it's a weakness.

The group project was one where we had to calculate 'student inflation' it should have been very straightforward but my grandparents got sick during the project so I had to go home a lot and my group members weren't very understanding. One member was NEVER there and didn't do any of the work but they didn't say anything to him. I was in a group with all international students besides the one who was never there and there was a bit of a language barrier. Some of the group members who 'took charge' actually didn't have a clue about the nature of the project and the night before it was handed in they all went out and I had to sit up to five am editing their terrible english and other mistakes. It was very annoying.

Note: i have no problem with international students at all but so many in one group was difficult to work with.
    Glad to hear maths isn't that important for the course (at least not in the beginning so I'll have time to work on it for later)
    Oh, I see it sounds pretty rough, and I can see why you would get annoyed.
    If it's not too much trouble, could you tell me some more about the accommodation? I'm stuck between Murano and Queen margaret...I know QM is really popular so even if I do put it as my first choice I might not get it and be placed in Murano anyway...Where do you live? Basically the main thing for me is whether or not QM is worth the extra money and if it's as social as Murano, any comments?

ReputationRep:
    I lived in Murano and REALLY loved it. It's a lot more social and there are quite a few parties but it's not mental 24/7 (I lived in Pentland 11 - 10 person flats). If you wanted a quieter scene in Murano I'd say to go for one of the 4/5 person flats as they tend to be calmer but it depends entirely on your flatmates to be honest.

I had initially put QM halls as my first choice but I'm glad I didn't live there since I had friends who did and found it so dull. Yes, it looks much nicer and you get your own bathroom but from what I heard there was never much going on in the halls. Again it would depend on your flatmates. You're much more likely to meet other people from Finland (and other internationals) living in QM halls but that's not to say there won't be any in Murano.

It depends what sort of social life you're after I guess. Economics will most likely be a breeze for you so don't worry about having to study for hours on end. Personally speaking, I'd go for Murano every time unless I was a mature student.

ReputationRep:
    I lived in Murano and REALLY loved it. It's a lot more social and there are quite a few parties but it's not mental 24/7 (I lived in Pentland 11 - 10 person flats). If you wanted a quieter scene in Murano I'd say to go for one of the 4/5 person flats as they tend to be calmer but it depends entirely on your flatmates to be honest.

I had initially put QM halls as my first choice but I'm glad I didn't live there since I had friends who did and found it so dull. Yes, it looks much nicer and you get your own bathroom but from what I heard there was never much going on in the halls. Again it would depend on your flatmates. You're much more likely to meet other people from Finland (and other internationals) living in QM halls but that's not to say there won't be any in Murano.

It depends what sort of social life you're after I guess. Economics will most likely be a breeze for you so don't worry about having to study for hours on end. Personally speaking, I'd go for Murano every time unless I was a mature student.
    Yeah I was definitely going to go for the smaller flats if I choose Murano, 11 people sounds a bit too much for me...
    I'm definitely starting to lean towards Murano since it sounds a lot more social than QM and it is cheaper so that's always good. And I'm sure there are plenty of internationals in murano too since it's so big so I'm not really worried about that. But would you say that Murano is still nice, since I've read some comments about it being really bad etc?
    I do want some place which is very social but not crazy 24/7, so in that case Murano sounds pretty good to me

ReputationRep:
    Murano's nice enough to me. It's still pretty modern, just not as flashy as QM.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.