Turn on thread page Beta

Do your mum/dad dictate to you when you can go out? or when you see your friends? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting really pissed off at my mum.

I wasn't allowed to go out tonight for my friends birthday for no ******* reason. She controls what I do constantly.

I'm 18, nearly 19 years old yet I only get to go out on her say so, am never allowed to have friends around either (last time I had a guy over, she kept watching over him like a hawk like he was gonna pounce on me any second, so I've just totally given up with having anyone over) She also has some form of OCD in terms of cleaniness & she always has to have CONTROL in every situation. I'm not allowed to even making a ******* cup of tea because I'll "make a mess" or she's "just washed the floor".

That probably didn't make any sense at all. But are your mum or dads like this? Or is it just me that has to live with this ****?

ReputationRep:
    That is terrible....you're 18, wow....just speak to her, I assume she still sees you as a kid?

ReputationRep:
    My parents generally let me do what i want. They do ask me to stay in occasionally, but thats usually if i've been out loads that week and they want a "family" type evening.
    they wouldn't make me stay in if there wasn't any reason for me to.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I moved out.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    If I was you I'd make the cup of tea, and when she has a go at you say "I wanted some tea, so I made some", then shrug and walk off to go and see your friends. What's the worse she can do? You're 18, she can't exactly ground you. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

If she's that bad, why don't you move out? :console:

ReputationRep:
    No..I actually moved out when i was 18/19....

ReputationRep:
    My mum tries to stop me from going out...fears the "loose immorality of house parties and clubs"...needless to say, it doesn't really work. Actually she's not talking to me right now from last weekend...

Does make me feel a twinge of guilt though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    If I was you I'd make the cup of tea, and when she has a go at you say "I wanted some tea, so I made some", then shrug and walk off to go and see your friends. What's the worse she can do? You're 18, she can't exactly ground you. :p:
    She'd lock me out the house or get my dad to throw me out. I don't have my own house keys.

Oh I have the same problem.
    "What do you mean you want to go out? Everywhere shuts at 11:30"
    "You can't be king of the castle, because you don't have a castle to be king of"
    "Just because you're eighteen doesn't mean you can come and go as you please, whilst you live in my house you will have a curfew of 12:00."

The most ridiculous one is this;
    "You're not staying out that late, we've got to get up for work at four in the morning"
    Because apparently I'm some sort of invalid, and they can't sleep until I'm in the house. I've my own keys, a part time job, and glowing reports from college. All of which mean nothing.

Also I get, "If we let you do what you like that means we've got to let the rest of them do as they please". Which is utterly ridiculous, I'm eighteen, an adult. I should be afforded the freedom of any other adult, not kept in because my they don't want my younger siblings going at and somehow circumventing the whole "Under 25" ID thing.

If you do come up with a solution, tell me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    She'd lock me out the house or get my dad to throw me out. I don't have my own house keys.
    ...you don't even have your own house keys? Wow, I really feel for you.

Have you tried just leaving the house with your phone off so she can't get in contact with you? Say that you forgot to charge it the night before.

ReputationRep:
    The moment when it's time to bite the bullet and leave home is when you're over 18 and your family starts interfering with your personal life.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe talk to your dad? She sounds a bit of a weirdy to me. She probably is just used to mothering you and is finding it hard to let go and let you grow up.

I remember when I was 16 and always wanted to go to this thing (kind of like a youth club, but not, if that makes sense), and my parents always said no, even though my friends all went. I thought they were being really unfair, but if you just try and see things from their point of view and consider any reasons they have then they will be more open to your opinion.

Can't you talk to her about it?

ReputationRep:
    ...you don't even have your own house keys? Wow, I really feel for you.

Have you tried just leaving the house with your phone off so she can't get in contact with you? Say that you forgot to charge it the night before.
    She's very protective because my younger sister died when she was 4. I couldn't do that to her. She's really horrible to me though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Oh I have the same problem.
    "What do you mean you want to go out? Everywhere shuts at 11:30"
    "You can't be king of the castle, because you don't have a castle to be king of"
    "Just because you're eighteen doesn't mean you can come and go as you please, whilst you live in my house you will have a curfew of 12:00."

The most ridiculous one is this;
    "You're not staying out that late, we've got to get up for work at four in the morning"
    Because apparently I'm some sort of invalid, and they can't sleep until I'm in the house. I've my own keys, a part time job, and glowing reports from college. All of which mean nothing.

Also I get, "If we let you do what you like that means we've got to let the rest of them do as they please". Which is utterly ridiculous, I'm eighteen, an adult. I should be afforded the freedom of any other adult, not kept in because my they don't want my younger siblings going at and somehow circumventing the whole "Under 25" ID thing.

If you do come up with a solution, tell me.
    I leave the house with a cheery "be back an hour after the pub closes".

I get similar **** though:
    "I don't want you coming in, pissed out of your head again, at 5 in the morning and waking everyone up."
    That situation only happened once... I'm usually back by half 3 or 4.
    "You drink too much."
    No I don't (simple statement deserves a simple answer).

I got the "king/castle" thing as well. But they threaten to throw me out a lot. Or rather, used to. I think they've given up now. It'll pass in time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    She's very protective because my younger sister died when she was 4. I couldn't do that to her. She's really horrible to me though...
    I'm sorry to hear that.

But without trying to sound harsh, the passing of your sister isn't your or her fault (I assume), but I can sort of understand the whole "maternal instinct" thing concerning protection.

Do you think that she'll ever relent?

ReputationRep:
    She generally lets me go out most days, although she's not very keen on me coming home veery late and she HATES me sleeping over despite the fact that it's probably safer to do that rather than come home late

She lets me sleepover though, but never without making it clear that she doesn't like it which is like UGH OKAY I KNOW

I leave the house with a cheery "be back an hour after the pub closes".

I get similar **** though:
    "I don't want you coming in, pissed out of your head again, at 5 in the morning and waking everyone up."
    That situation only happened once... I'm usually back by half 3 or 4.
    "You drink too much."
    No I don't (simple statement deserves a simple answer).

I got the "king/castle" thing as well. But they threaten to throw me out a lot. Or rather, used to. I think they've given up now. It'll pass in time.
    It won't pass at all, my sister is 21 and still living here. And she adheres to their rules, which doesn't help me at all.

Three times we've "talked" about it in the last month. And I'm told that if I don't like it I can leave. Which I would, it's just I don't fancy throwing away all my time and effort spent at college as I intend to go to Uni in september. I just feel like I'm being punished for not getting a dead end pointless full time job in retail, because if I had that I'd be able to support myself. Even if it was a bare bones existance.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.