Turn on thread page Beta

AS French - is it possible to revis for such an exam... watch

ReputationRep:
    I received my mock exam back today for AS french and received a grade C. My teacher had said I should be aiming for <90% however this seems unrealistic now... My weaknesses lie is grammar, (which I know I can practice on easily), structuring a piece of writing to flow (which I'm practicing) however the reading I'm stuck on.
    I've tried reading loads of stuff on "le monde" website and looking up stuff I don't get but felt really disheartened that all the vocab I had learnt served me no use at all. We got told that it's normal not to understand everything, but don't you have to to get an A? We were told to "work out what it meant" but I feel that's unpredictable, and unprecise...
    Are there any tips anyone has to help me improve my grade in the reading bit. Exam board is WJEC (welsh board) but it shouldn't differ too much to AQA or OCR.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of the reading paper I just did LOADS of past papers/questions generally. You just have to put the hours in.
    For the writing I literally learnt an entire essay off by heart and regurgitated it in the exam, got me an A!

ReputationRep:
    AS German grammar is even worse

ReputationRep:
    I found grammar can make a huge difference to your grade. Try listening to french radio when your online. I read the first few harry potter books in french during AS and remember it helping. I learnt a lot of new vocab that way and it was quite enjoyable

ReputationRep:
    Reading an original French text, and actually getting to grips with its meaning, makes reading exercises seem like a doddle. You could try that for reading practice.

Really plan essays, keep learning vocab and going over grammar, structure everything in a nice coherent argument. Find questions from old papers related to your topic and practise them.

For listening practice...do you have Sky? TV5 is channel 899 (I think - in that area!) and offers loads of French television, which could help you with that.

I got full marks on my French paper last year, and these were the things I did, more or less!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronic_fatigue)
    AS German grammar is even worse
    Icelandic grammar makes German grammar look trivial.

In regards to vocab, reading is all you can do. Make a note of every word you don't understand and make sure you know it's exact definition, including nuances if there are any. Don't want to use the wrong word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushaboom)
    In terms of the reading paper I just did LOADS of past papers/questions generally. You just have to put the hours in.
    For the writing I literally learnt an entire essay off by heart and regurgitated it in the exam, got me an A!
    I was thinking of that. Do you think learning 4 or 5 essay beforehand means I can just adapt the one nearest to the question asked? We have a choice of 5 I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SweetsAndSugar)
    I was thinking of that. Do you think learning 4 or 5 essay beforehand means I can just adapt the one nearest to the question asked? We have a choice of 5 I think.
    I don't know what your exam board is like...we had a choice as well so I took a chance that one of them would be really general. Look at past questions and see if you think you could anwer them with one vague essay. Means that your grammer is perfect too :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what your exam board is like...we had a choice as well so I took a chance that one of them would be really general. Look at past questions and see if you think you could anwer them with one vague essay. Means that your grammer is perfect too :thumbsup:
    A third of the marks on the paper is related to how well your writing answers the question directly. It's a mark out of 10 multiplied by 2 I think. Don't know why we're on WJEC, I've seen the AQA papers and they look easier.

ReputationRep:
    Just learn the stuff for your speaking exam and regurgitate that if you're worried about adapting; your speaking prep will be much more adaptable and you have to learn it anyway

For the reading, just stick at it, read French websites every day, listen to the radio (which helps with the listening) and revise lots of vocab. If you can get a French copy of a book you've already read or own, that's good too because then you'll have an understanding of the plot, which should help you to understand it. Also, if you're into sport at all, try reading match reports etc. on websites like France 2. That's what I did, and I got an A (that sounds really boasty but I just wanted to show you it works!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _tiggy_)
    Just learn the stuff for your speaking exam and regurgitate that if you're worried about adapting; your speaking prep will be much more adaptable and you have to learn it anyway

For the reading, just stick at it, read French websites every day, listen to the radio (which helps with the listening) and revise lots of vocab. If you can get a French copy of a book you've already read or own, that's good too because then you'll have an understanding of the plot, which should help you to understand it. Also, if you're into sport at all, try reading match reports etc. on websites like France 2. That's what I did, and I got an A (that sounds really boasty but I just wanted to show you it works!)
    Not it's not boastful at all. I think I just think about how every little thing I do will help me for the exam which is what's making it a little daunting. Congrats on the Cambridge offer by the way.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do very much at all apart from going over LOTS of past papers. I used Quizlet to revise verbs, went over all my notes on grammar and that's pretty much it. I got an A in the exam. I think it's just about putting in the hours.

ReputationRep:
    wait, how can you memorise it if you dont know the essay question thats gonna come up?!?!

but memorising is a good idea, i would so do that but i woudnt know the question?

ReputationRep:
    I received my mock exam back today for AS french and received a grade C. My teacher had said I should be aiming for <90% however this seems unrealistic now... My weaknesses lie is grammar, (which I know I can practice on easily), structuring a piece of writing to flow (which I'm practicing) however the reading I'm stuck on.
    I've tried reading loads of stuff on "le monde" website and looking up stuff I don't get but felt really disheartened that all the vocab I had learnt served me no use at all. We got told that it's normal not to understand everything, but don't you have to to get an A? We were told to "work out what it meant" but I feel that's unpredictable, and unprecise...
    Are there any tips anyone has to help me improve my grade in the reading bit. Exam board is WJEC (welsh board) but it shouldn't differ too much to AQA or OCR.
    Don't view reading as a chance to use your vocab so much as a chance to learn some. Get an article, get your dictionary and grammar book and translate. Do this often enough on a range of texts and you'll improve loads. As for structuring treat it like an english essay. Make a list (don't translate your english thoughts, work with the french you know) of the points you want to make and then arrange them in a logical order. hope that helps. it worked for me

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have just done my AS French (also WJEC) and had a B grade. I Know that you said that the grammar side is the harder part but i would recommend studying the grammar like mad and a lot of vocab (that is what helped me more than anything) but only the amount that will get you through, do not try to do everything at once and let your brain go into overload. Just bare in mind that it is hard at 1st, but everything will eventually click, and besides the exam (to be honest) is not too difficult (some parts are hard, but generally ok) I did my AS last year and done the new paper and was really worried but it turned out ok. And of course, I would continue reading 'le monde' and tune into the French news channel for listening practice (even if you do not understand, eventually you will pick out a few words and get the jist of it). For your reading, I would continue with the grammar + vocab because once you understand the structure of the sentences and the rules + vocab you can practically write a lot and adapt the language (do not learn things in parrot fashion) beacuse if you have an essay title that is quite difficult to discuss, it will not help you. That is why I said study the grammar and vocab to adapt sentences. Hope that helps! Laura x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura hannah)
    Hi, I have just done my AS French (also WJEC) and had a B grade. I Know that you said that the grammar side is the harder part but i would recommend studying the grammar like mad and a lot of vocab (that is what helped me more than anything) but only the amount that will get you through, do not try to do everything at once and let your brain go into overload. Just bare in mind that it is hard at 1st, but everything will eventually click, and besides the exam (to be honest) is not too difficult (some parts are hard, but generally ok) I did my AS last year and done the new paper and was really worried but it turned out ok. And of course, I would continue reading 'le monde' and tune into the French news channel for listening practice (even if you do not understand, eventually you will pick out a few words and get the jist of it). For your reading, I would continue with the grammar + vocab because once you understand the structure of the sentences and the rules + vocab you can practically write a lot and adapt the language (do not learn things in parrot fashion) beacuse if you have an essay title that is quite difficult to discuss, it will not help you. That is why I said study the grammar and vocab to adapt sentences. Hope that helps! Laura x
    Thanks. Do you know of anywhere I could get a checklist of things to include in the writing? That was my highest scoring section in the mock (30/35) but I want to get my mark up as I know I'll do much worse in the listening.

ReputationRep:
    I do German, but here's what's helped me:

• Get a good grammar book/workbook, preferably with loads of questions so that you can drill it into your head
    • Learn the vocab, do say 15 minutes a night. I like using Quizlet, but other people find that writing example sentences helps them
    • Do LOADS of past papers. WJEC is an arse for getting past papers from, so ask your teachers for some.
    • Do extra essays, ask your teachers to set you some and mark them.
    • Working out what it means really does help - what does the word look like? Is it similar to any others that you have learnt? I never did this until I got a teacher this year (for A2) that loves to make us do it. It's helped loads already!

Yes, it's going to be horrible to start with, but it gets better. When I started revising for my resit this January, I did all of this. I hated it at first - I felt like I knew nothing. But over time (a couple of weeks) I realised I was getting better and better and now I'm so much more confident in German and have started to enjoy it again, which I haven't since this time last year! Good luck and have fun!

ReputationRep:
    Just reading. The more you read, the more you will see the grammar rules in play and the more vocab you will pick up. Seriously, by just reading a few chapters of P.S. I love you in German, that being the sole bit of revision for my AS German exam, I went from an E to a B! Just learn as many new words as possible, and revise on grammar. Ask your French teacher if she has any worksheets stored away on particular grammar points that you seem to be struggling with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    I do German, but here's what's helped me:

• Get a good grammar book/workbook, preferably with loads of questions so that you can drill it into your head
    • Learn the vocab, do say 15 minutes a night. I like using Quizlet, but other people find that writing example sentences helps them
    • Do LOADS of past papers. WJEC is an arse for getting past papers from, so ask your teachers for some.
    • Do extra essays, ask your teachers to set you some and mark them.
    • Working out what it means really does help - what does the word look like? Is it similar to any others that you have learnt? I never did this until I got a teacher this year (for A2) that loves to make us do it. It's helped loads already!

Yes, it's going to be horrible to start with, but it gets better. When I started revising for my resit this January, I did all of this. I hated it at first - I felt like I knew nothing. But over time (a couple of weeks) I realised I was getting better and better and now I'm so much more confident in German and have started to enjoy it again, which I haven't since this time last year! Good luck and have fun!
    Thanks. I think I will stick at it. It's just a little disheartening when you know you've tried and managed to do really well at gcse, but then found you did badly in a mock.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I think I will stick at it. It's just a little disheartening when you know you've tried and managed to do really well at gcse, but then found you did badly in a mock.
    Yeah, the gap between GCSE and AS level is really quite big, especially so for languages - or so I found.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 3, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.