Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If your attendance for your subject falls below 90%, you have to pay for exam entries...
    So today, i recieved a letter saying that my attendance for chemistry is 87% and unless my attendance increases to 90 or above by the end of Febuary i'll have to pay for the exam entry.
    But, I have only missed like 2 chemistry sessions since september! They are back to back so i have really missed 4 hours of chemistry. Surely this doesn't mean that my attendance has fallen to below 90!??
    The thing is i have also missed about 4-5hours of chemistry due to teachers absence and when the teachers aren't in, no attendance seems to be taken.
    What are your thoughts on this? I'm really quite annoyed tbh, the school are so sneaky about 6th form attendance, it's like they want us to pay for the exams. (our school is fairly skint atm)

ReputationRep:
    i'd have to pay for all of my exams then! thats a retarded idea. getting students to pay for retakes is understandable. but thats just stupid.
    umm go in and talk to head of sixth form about it is your only real option

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    i'd have to pay for all of my exams then! thats a retarded idea. getting students to pay for retakes is understandable. but thats just stupid.
    I bloody well will :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachesishere)
    That is bang out of order. Do it and see what happens. If things just become worse, just get your parents involve and file a complaint.

Retakes are understandable but this is absurd.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a misunderstanding to me! Go and ask them about it, but don't panic as I'm sure you can easily make your percentage up to 90%
    Personally it sounds to me like a way of blackmailing everyone to come in!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have lesson by lesson reegisters? If you do you may find that one of your teachers is lazy and doesn't do them properly, go and speak to someone, it probably just is an error somewhere along the line. My 6th form is quite strict with attendance but they do accept that there can be mistakes so just talk to them If you don't miss anymore lessons you should be able to make it up to over 90% anyway =)

ReputationRep:
    The idea in itself is not really retarded at all. Attendance is a pretty huge factor in grades. Why should the school have to fund out for exams to someone who they think is barely going to pass or even fail... they're just wasting their money, and damaging the sixth forms reputation because they have people getting low grades or failing.*

However obviously there's something a bit wrong in this case cause 2 lessons missed shouldn't equal less than 90% and the fact they count it as not attending when the teacher doesn't turn up is absurd. So yep I'd try and report it to someone (head of sixth form)

* Having said all of that I'm glad this wasn't in place at my sixth form. I would definately have had to pay for my Physics exam. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fred Ivanovic)
    The idea in itself is not really retarded at all. Attendance is a pretty huge factor in grades. Why should the school have to fund out for exams to someone who they think is barely going to pass or even fail... they're just wasting their money, and damaging the sixth forms reputation because they have people getting low grades or failing.*

However obviously there's something a bit wrong in this case cause 2 lessons missed shouldn't equal less than 90% and the fact they count it as not attending when the teacher doesn't turn up is absurd. So yep I'd try and report it to someone (head of sixth form)

* Having said all of that I'm glad this wasn't in place at my sixth form. I would definitely have had to pay for my Physics exam.
    Completely agree with this post. You can leave school at 16 and you have a lot of freedom when choosing your A Levels. This only shouldn't happen in fee paying schools. I do think 90% is a bit high though, maybe about 80% would be better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fred Ivanovic)

* Having said all of that I'm glad this wasn't in place at my sixth form. I would definitely have had to pay for my Physics exam. :o:
    my attendance was something like 82%, it dropped to 71% at one point in sixth form. yet i still got very good grades. you cant just apply one rule to everyone.
    fair enough if a teacher highlights that a student is struggling alot and not putting the effort in, then i think its fair to make them pay for that exam (although if they get a good grade they should get the money back).

you really need to apply it on a case by case basis though

ReputationRep:
    if they insist that you have to pay for exams. ask them if you get good grades (A or B, or whatevers fair for you) then will they refund you the cost of the exam

ReputationRep:
    Get your parents involved. Schools can't stand on one leg when they know they're wrong and especially when parents get involved.

ReputationRep:
    If your attendance for your subject falls below 90%, you have to pay for exam entries...
    So today, i recieved a letter saying that my attendance for chemistry is 87% and unless my attendance increases to 90 or above by the end of Febuary i'll have to pay for the exam entry.
    But, I have only missed like 2 chemistry sessions since september! They are back to back so i have really missed 4 hours of chemistry. Surely this doesn't mean that my attendance has fallen to below 90!??
    The thing is i have also missed about 4-5hours of chemistry due to teachers absence and when the teachers aren't in, no attendance seems to be taken.
    What are your thoughts on this? I'm really quite annoyed tbh, the school are so sneaky about 6th form attendance, it's like they want us to pay for the exams. (our school is fairly skint atm)
    Simply go in and ask for a print out of the data they have for your attendance. Tell them your solicitor has asked for it. That should get them jumping!

ReputationRep:
    if they insist that you have to pay for exams. ask them if you get good grades (A or B, or whatevers fair for you) then will they refund you the cost of the exam
    That seems like a good addition to add to the attendance rule. I know not everyone is the same but the rule is in place merely to make sure people attend their classes. It's not exactly that hard to achieve 90% (again, I'm not one to talk but most people managed it) - obviously if their are valid reasons for absences then I think they should be excluded (unless it then goes below 75% or something)

ReputationRep:
    im having the same problem i have 96% in all of my other subjects but for biology i am 87% , which is as i have double biology on a wednesday i was off ill for three wednesdays the whole year which means i missed 6 lessons and have been then marked absent for two which my teacher admitted she forgot to mark me in when i came late from my lesson before, my mum refused to pay because its no where near under 90% and i havnt missed my lessons she gave the school a blank cheque however the finance woman said she would stop me form taking my exam if i didnt pay , however they surely cant stop you from taking your exam ? i emailed AQA to ask if they can stop me because if the school isnt in agreement with the exam board than what the school is doing is actually illegal ...
    i ended up paying for my exam when she blackmailed me saying i couldnt go to prom , however my parents are making a formal complaint , just dont pay they cant stop you from taking your exams and if your like me a goo student them when you complain the head master will look into it and sort it out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.