Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any pictures of the shared space and/or rooms in Colum Hall. The pictures on the Cardiff website are odd, they don't really show you how large the space is.

Also, does anyone know is Colum Hall like for the 'community feel' so to speak, is it as fun to live in as the larger student villages?

Firmed my offer, just need to pick accomodation so I'll be ready to apply when the letter comes!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I live in Talybont North.
    I wouldn't be able to tell you if Colum Hall has a community feel to it but Talybont does due to the fact that it's a sort of student village.
    However an advantage with Colum Hall is that it is a lot closer to the university than where I am.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, Talybont, is it as far away from the city centre/campus as the maps suggest? Just curious so I know where to place it on my list, the interior space looks great.

ReputationRep:
    Well Talybont North has quite small rooms. There's newer Talybont North buildings with slightly bigger rooms but I got put in one of the older rooms :facepalm:
    Taly South has bigger rooms but the biggest, newest and nicest rooms are in Talybont Court.
    Incidentally, Talybont Court is the closest of the three to the university, with North being the furthest and South lying between the two.
    It's not too far though. 15 minutes walking and I'm on campus. Plus the Talybont Social Club is really good.

ReputationRep:
    The kitchen has a high countertop that seats 4 people on high stools, a long seating area that seats 8 people comfortably, more if you squeeze them in. And there's plenty of standing space, I reckon we had nearly 30 people in the bigger flat parties. Here's some photos:

Countertop table bit:

Seating area:

Cookers/surfaces bit:

Corridor:

Bedroom:

As you can see, we were quite wild in Colum Hall. But my flat was definitely the party flat, not every flat was like that and it's not like it was every single night. Nonetheless, there were lots of groups from different flats that would go out together, or sometimes just one flat would go out by themselves which was always nice. There much less people than Talybont, but in some ways that's a bonus because you get to know people a lot better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riso)
    Ahh, Talybont, is it as far away from the city centre/campus as the maps suggest? Just curious so I know where to place it on my list, the interior space looks great.
    Talybont isn't that far from the city centre, I'd say 30-40 minute walk and you're there, although naturally it depends on how fast you walk.
    One benefit of the location of Talybont is its proximity to Tesco Extra, and it isn't too far away from most departments, law included. (Though if you were doing e.g. Mechancial Engineering, Senghennydd would be better.

In 'going out to town at night, how much will it cost to taxi it?' terms (I know you didn't ask this!)
    A taxi for 7 into town for a night out cost in the region of £8.50; this was to the top of town, St Marys Street is a bit further, but with less people in the taxi it would probably work out around a similar price.

ReputationRep:
    Aha! Thank you for all the pictures James, it does look rather fun.

It's looking like Colum will be 1st, followed by Senghennydd Hall and Taly South.

ReputationRep:
    Colum has soft, sofa-like chairs?! I'm so jealous right now! I'm consoling myself with the fact that the rooms look smaller though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siana17)
    Colum has soft, sofa-like chairs?! I'm so jealous right now! I'm consoling myself with the fact that the rooms look smaller though.
    Whereabouts are you?! The 'new' blocks in Taly have, or at least the flats in my block do. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyChris)
    Whereabouts are you?! The 'new' blocks in Taly have, or at least the flats in my block do. :p:
    Roy Jenkins. Mostly, people haven't even heard of it...

ReputationRep:
    Cool.
    I know where it is, but you're right - I know someone in their third year who didn't know where it was!

Did you see the wonderful posters about Summer Ball tickets, or were they removed?
    [I'm selling them, £30/ticket instead of £32 if purchased by tuesday night ]

ReputationRep:
    No, they're still here! Amazing work...

ReputationRep:
    No, they're still here! Amazing work...
    lol.
    Btw, if you know anyone that wants and still doesn't have, I'm still selling for £30 until Wednesday night =]

ReputationRep:
    You must have a decent profit margin if you can afford to reduce them to £30 :p:

(I've already bought 5 from a friend of mine who's a ticket rep)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    You must have a decent profit margin if you can afford to reduce them to £30 :p:

(I've already bought 5 from a friend of mine who's a ticket rep)
    I'm a ticket rep, and return unused tickets tomorrow, but I've purchased some spare tickets myself for the minimum price, so now that prices are £37 I still have a few that I can sell at £28 each and still be making a slight profit. (Just £30 is an easier number to work with, rather than having a load of coins on me! Also, some of my profit will be going to charity.)

Profit for tickets coming now (Tickets priced at £37) will have around a £3 profit margin for reps if sold at full price.

ReputationRep:
    Ive put colum hall as my first one, really hoping i get it now! looks good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    As you can see, we were quite wild in Colum Hall. But my flat was definitely the party flat, not every flat was like that and it's not like it was every single night. Nonetheless, there were lots of groups from different flats that would go out together, or sometimes just one flat would go out by themselves which was always nice. There much less people than Talybont, but in some ways that's a bonus because you get to know people a lot better.
    Im in flat 7, do you know if thats at the front or back of the building?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kissandmakeup_x)
    Im in flat 7, do you know if thats at the front or back of the building?
    If you're in rooms 1, 2, 3 or 4 you'll be at the front, if you're in rooms 5, 6, 7 or 8 then you'll be at the back. That's the same in all of the flats.

FYI, Flat 7 is in the northernmost building (there's two of them joined together, one with flats 1-6 and the other with flats 7-14) on the ground floor, opposite flat 14.

ReputationRep:
    I walked past there pretty much every other day this year and I love to think that one day i'll walk past and someone will have graffiti'd the letters "LE" onto the start of the sign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamin)
    I walked past there pretty much every other day this year and I love to think that one day i'll walk past and someone will have graffiti'd the letters "LE" onto the start of the sign.
    Perhaps you should be the one to do it?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.