Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I have offers for a Technolgy summer internship at both Credit Suisse and DB. I am having trouble choosing between the two. A key aspect I want to take into account is the ease at which I can switch divisions at each bank should I wish to. If for instance in the future/or when applying for a grad role I feel like I want to work in IBD where would it be easier to make this switch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdsouza)
    Hello,
    I have offers for a Technolgy summer internship at both Credit Suisse and DB. I am having trouble choosing between the two. A key aspect I want to take into account is the ease at which I can switch divisions at each bank should I wish to. If for instance in the future/or when applying for a grad role I feel like I want to work in IBD where would it be easier to make this switch?
    The difference will be virtually nil and no one here will be able to give you a comparative position unless they did it at both. In this climate it will also be extremely difficult to make this transfer.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I worked at DB, it's a nice environment but incredibly stressful at times too. I've never heard of anyone switching from Tech to IBD. I've seen TA's move to FO.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Credit Suisse but as the others said, moving around is not easy...

ReputationRep:
    I'd say they're pretty much on a par, maybe Deutsche's name gives it a slight edge in terms of reputation. Won't be easy to move from Tech to Front Office...maybe Structuring, but IBD will be tough, surely.

ReputationRep:
    I've interned in CS and have a grad role secured. PM me if you want to know any specifics.

ReputationRep:
    Both are solid banks. I really like them both. Somehow, I am leaning toward Credit Suisse...their logo looks better. In all seriousness, CS and DB are not hurt much at all during this recession...both were able to poach bankers from their rivals who were relatively less fortunate this time (UBS/C/RBS/BAML and etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FifthQuarter)
    Both are solid banks. I really like them both. Somehow, I am leaning toward Credit Suisse...their logo looks better. In all seriousness, CS and DB are not hurt much at all during this recession...both were able to poach bankers from their rivals who were relatively less fortunate this time (UBS/C/RBS/BAML and etc.)
    Not sure where you got that from but CS were hurt pretty bad too. The reason they didn't need to borrow is because they are a much smaller firm than the likes of JPM/Citi. The bigger you are, the more likely it will hurt as they have businesses all over. CS don't operate everywhere as much as they do.

They also stayed well stabilised because they made the right cuts at the right time. They had a fair amount of redundancy too and had a hire freeze from Nov 2008. So yes, they were pretty hurt.

I still think they are a good firm to choose from and definitely against DB, I would go for CS but not for the logo! :P

Hope you make the right choice for you.

ReputationRep:
    P.S CS's technology is far more advanced than most banks. They are doing well in technology so definitely a good choice to go if you are seeking a career in technology.

ReputationRep:
    Go for DB. Their office is in the City so that you can live more centrally (comute shorter?) and it gives you better opportunities to go out whenever you are not working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Beard)
    Go for DB. Their office is in the City so that you can live more centrally (comute shorter?) and it gives you better opportunities to go out whenever you are not working.
    what a f*****-up reason you just gave there!

ReputationRep:
    Think of it what you want. I interned in London before and I found it more fun to be around central London, especially when I had time off (which was rare).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy87)
    not worse than some of the other reasons in this thread...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy87)
    why? the positions are so similiar the choice could well be down to lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, congratulations on receiving the offers. That is an amazing achievement.

As it's an internship, think about the brand. Try and also get some specifics about the team/role.

Those two things can then set you up for applying to graduate schemes at all the other banks from August onwards. Who knows, you may then end up with a graduate offer from somewhere perceived to be even "better" than DB or CS.

I agree with one of the other posts about considering the choice of location.
    Personal opinion, the DB location is far more interesting than Canary Wharf. Especially during the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yummy_baby)
    P.S CS's technology is far more advanced than most banks. They are doing well in technology so definitely a good choice to go if you are seeking a career in technology.
    Could you elaborate on how CS's Tech is great?

(Serious question, not looking to criticise - I want to agree with you, will be starting at CS myself).

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I have offers for a Technolgy summer internship at both Credit Suisse and ...
    are you the same shanon from jpm tech assessment day on the 19th?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emydawn)
    are you the same shanon from jpm tech assessment day on the 19th?
    lol no...jp never got back to me

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone. I just thought i'd let everyone know that i went for CS in the end....the people just seemed nicer and number of people recommended it to me ( including some who interned at db).

As for the location debate...both bank are located pretty far to where i live right now so i dont think that matters...plus i dont think canary wharf is a boring place at all..if i were going out i'd prob be doing so with cs interns after work anyway so i don't think the more "central" location of DB matters tbh

ReputationRep:
    Great work.

See you there this summer :-)

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.