Turn on thread page Beta

I feel so miserable. I used to be religious but then grew out of it. My mum on the other hand is really religious and its starting to impinge on my life. She just keeps preaching about God, the prophets, the importance of helping others etc etc and I keep switching off and feeling down whenever she talks. I just want to be free to live my life the way I want.

Anyway I wanted to ask everyone on here whether they believe in God or not and their reasons for it. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Tell her that there is no evidence for god and that the concept of 'faith' is merely a combination of mental conditioning combined with inferior genetics.

What really blew religion out of the water for me were the pictures from the Hubble telescope. Its arrogant beyond belief to assume that our magnificent universe was created just for us. It may have been 'created', but certainly not by an entity described in those oversized fairy-tales. Say all this. if she still tries to convert you: falcon punch

ReputationRep:
    I believe that there is something other than what we see, hear, feel and even comprehend. Whether that is a God or not, I don't know. I don't follow a 'religion' as such, because each religion just seems extremely flawed, and in my eyes, religion has ironically brought more hatred into the world than good. I really like the idea of something 'out there' that we can't even begin to imagine, that defies all logic that humans have ever thought to exist. Maybe the Universe was created by something, though even if it was, and on the small chance that something had conscious thought, there would be an extremely low chance it would have any knowledge of our existence. I just find it so interesting to think about sometimes. Meh.

ReputationRep:
    I do believe in God, in a sense. But I don't believe everything that gets preached to us in church. I do believe theres got to be some greater power out there though. I mean, Earth, the universe, the way everything just sort of fits together..... it all seems far too complex and amazing to be some sort of miraculous accident.

I dont know if I believe in heaven etc, or that we're all created individually for a reason, but I think there are things we dont understand out there that could be down to a god of sorts.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Yes I believe in God. I'm sorry to hear about your mum, I'd get really annoyed if she did that to me - its like back off and let me make my own decision right? anyway, if you wanna have a chat about my perspective on God stuff, gizzus a PM.

rainbowbex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    Yes I believe in God. I'm sorry to hear about your mum, I'd get really annoyed if she did that to me - its like back off and let me make my own decision right? anyway, if you wanna have a chat about my perspective on God stuff, gizzus a PM.

rainbowbex
    shes acting all friendly to try and convert you back to the darkside. Your mum hired her at last month's book burning/homo lynching fete. Don't fall for it OP.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I've always been a non-believer. Doing Philosophy at A Level only cemented my feelings towards religion in general and I can barely tolerate it at all. It's a farse imo. Brainwashing at it's best.

How old are you? Are you able to leave home any time soon?

ReputationRep:
    I believe in God. He's Omnipotent, Omniscient and benevolent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogloom)
    Tell her that there is no evidence for god and that the concept of 'faith' is merely a combination of mental conditioning combined with inferior genetics.

What really blew religion out of the water for me were the pictures from the Hubble telescope. Its arrogant beyond belief to assume that our magnificent universe was created just for us. It may have been 'created', but certainly not by an entity described in those oversized fairy-tales. Say all this. if she still tries to convert you: falcon punch
    Your alternative to God is to punch your mother... ???

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in God-I was raised by my mum and she's never believed either, which probably contributed to it. I believe that you can have your personal moral code-for example, I'm all up for helping people out whenever they need it, it doesn't have to be a religious motivation behind doing something good. Everyone I've met who had a strongly held or even moderate religious belief hasn't been able to explain anything to me in a way I could see as plausible (scientific discoveries, for example-how can God be Earth-centric when there's so much of the universe we don't know about yet?), and some of them have been through a huge amount of pain in their lives but believe that in the end that pain will be justified, which is kind of depressing.

However, unless someone specifically preaches their religion and morals at me and against me or people I care about, I'm all for getting along with someone who holds those beliefs. We just agree to disagree, a bit of variety

(edited for terrible typo haha)

ReputationRep:
    no i dont believe in God or religion. i believe people should believe in what they think is best for themselves

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Even when I was young when my nan tried to convert me I never fell for it, the concept of god and religion are totally incompatible with me.

Just ignore your mum if she's constantly going on about it, or casually leave a book by Dawkins lying about

ReputationRep:
    No, but I believe in a thing called love, just listen to the rhythm of my heart!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, personally, yes, I do believe there's a God. Why? Well, I'm a generally scientific person, and I seem to like to explain everything down to its deepest core. And while simultaneously maintaining the belief that science DOES provide answers to the question on HOW things are created, they don't provide WHY they are. Have you ever thought why things happen, or the reason for their creation? I think that alot of people who don't believe in God sort of can't seem to tolerate or accept the thought of their being a reason for life because they can't find it. Maybe that's because, as humans, we have our limitations, and we can only explain things in the way that logic allows us to. But perhaps this reason exceeds our own knowledge, and certainly logic. Like someone said before, (sorry, I can't remember who ) everything seems to complex to be explained by coincidence. If you think about it scientifically, bosons are used to maintain the relationship and bond between sub-atomic particles, and such. They provide it with the fundamental orbit of structure. So maybe there is a physically invisible boson (if you'd like to refer to it as that) that thrives to maintain the relationship and comprehensions made within nature and why things happen. Because certainly science HAS proven that non-organic organisms do not have a brain of their own, and thus, cannot provide its own reason for living, which, in this case, must be controlled by a certain entity (or God, in general terms), otherwise, there would be no point of this entity and everything would incorporate its own way of life.

Any questions?

ReputationRep:
    I do not believe in God. But I do believe in religion. But not in the religious sense of the word. I believe in the community, traditions and culture that comes with religion but I firmly feel that believing in God does more harm than good. Well actually no, I just believe that people being so CONVINCED that "their" God is the "only" God is the bit that does more harm than good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fred Ivanovic)
    No, but I believe in a thing called love, just listen to the rhythm of my heart!
    There's a chance we could make it now!

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't believe in god. As mentioned above there is no evidence to suggest there is a big man in the sky looking down on us. I find it pretty weird that thats a universal belief and so many people live their lives by abiding by so called 'rules' in a book. People have thought of god as the creator of the world for so long that they've forgotten it was just an idea. Could equally be a bunch of nonsense.
    In my opinion god is just a simple easy explanation to how the universe started etc. I reckon years ago people could not figure out how the world started and so ran with the idea that it was created by a big man up high in the sky, and they named him god.
    For some bizarre reason, many people NEED a higher authority above them, so they have someone to live by and a purpose in life.

For those who are religious, i cant help but feel like they have such strong beliefs and values, but based on what? a special book? an imaginary man in the sky that they feel they have to abide to.....?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about 'God'. But I have my suspicions about there being something "out there", something beyond this... I'm agnostic I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccioJellyBean)
    Well actually no, I just believe that people being so CONVINCED that "their" God is the "only" God is the bit that does more harm than good.
    I can understand where you're coming from.

Maybe if people hadn't used God as a reason for war then we would possibly, as a civilized union, come to a conclusion as to how segregate the religious factors of the world's creation, as well as the scientific one.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    I find arguments from fine tuning of the universe (physical constants that had to be in a very small range to permit carbon-based life) the most convincing currently. I think that God as an explanation of the universe is a simple one and therefore a priori reasonably probable (though obviously the more we claim about God, the more complex and less likely his existence is). Other arguments that I am not so sure of but which, overall I think, give some more reason to believe in God would be arguments from moral awareness, the Kalam cosmological argument (Everything that begins to exist has a cause. The universe began to exist. Therefore the universe has a cause), the argument from providence (our capability of providing for and having responsibility for ourselves and one another), the eutaxiological argument (from order in the universe- the fact that it obeys laws) etc. Most convincing, for me, are the arguments for revealed theology (that is, a specifically Christian God). I do not think that there are any explanations of the origin of Christianity that are as forceful as the idea that Jesus was raised from the dead, and this area brings a whole load of different issues to the table.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.