Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonya_x)
    Any questions?
    I used to have a very similar thinking to you in that whilst we know to a certain degree that some sort of big bang happened resulting in the Universe' creation, nobody knows (and is unlikely ever to know) how/why it happened, and so therefore it's likely that God was the one behind this event.

I then realised that my logic is completely flawed because then where do you explain where God comes from?

So I just decided it was too hard to wrap my head around and gave up. :p:
    There's a chance we could make it now!
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm open to the possibility of their being a God. And I just live my life

ReputationRep:
    I'm a respected member! yay!

ReputationRep:
    It's not God I don't believe in, it's religion.

Since none of us are anywhere near to God's perfect design
    I refuse to be told what to do by a book written by the mortal hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calumcalum)
    physical constants that had to be in a very small range to permit carbon-based life
    I'm interested in what you mean by that - have you got any examples for me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    Yes I believe in God. I'm sorry to hear about your mum, I'd get really annoyed if she did that to me - its like back off and let me make my own decision right? anyway, if you wanna have a chat about my perspective on God stuff, gizzus a PM.

rainbowbex
    :love:

ReputationRep:
    Consider the problem of evil.

Not that I think asking the forums is likely to get you very far, OP. Be what thou art.

ReputationRep:
    No one knows, but there is more proof for "existence" having existed forever, than there is for God having been around forever......Religious people seem to think that non-believers are closed minded but they could be called closed minded by having to have a reason or a purpose for us being here. We could just be here for the sake of it, what makes us different. The stars are up in space but have no real purpose they just interact with the rest of the universe for billions of years until their matter is just recylced. They're just there to be there, and just because we are capable of intelligent thought and are able to ask "Why are we here?", that doesn't mean there is a purpose to us being here etc.....Also, people seem to speak a lot about the odds of us being here being slim but they aren't that slim if we are a possibility of an infinite "existence". People make the premise that everything has a beginning but that is not necessarily true....If you keep all of this in mind, the existence of a God becomes more and more doubtful.

The End
    (Btw there have been thousands of Gods, if a religious person believes in a religion, they agree with atheists that all the other religions are "wrong" (most of them do). Atheists just believe in one less religion than other religious believers)

To finish off, I don't really know, but I am tilting more towards the answer NO.

ReputationRep:
    You're a Muslim. You won't have much luck talking to them. Wait 'til they're dead.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do believe. Maybe you should be honest with your mother and tell her you disagree with her? She might lay off you a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I was raised Catholic but I am turning to Budhism now that i am older, although I have a lot of respect for people of the Catholic faith. I have a gran that is so very religious, I accidently said "Oh my God" in conversation and I got a similar reaction to what I would have expected if I had said I was pregnant or something. The lectures can be tedious but I would just show some respect and nod along, if you don't believe then you don't and thats it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon1212)
    I'm a respected member! yay!
    Well done, have a blue peter badge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fred Ivanovic)
    I then realised that my logic is completely flawed because then where do you explain where God comes from? :
    I actually like the way you're thinking. Yeah, I sometimes think about that aswell, but why should we be concerned about who created God when God is the one we're theoretically believing to have created us? It's like concerning yourself with your great-great-great-great-great-great ancestors, when they currently should have no relevance to your contemporary life. The gap is too wide for you to get caught up in the web, so there's really little possibility that you'll be successfully making that jump from trying to understand God to understanding his own creation when we can't even understand Him ourselves, you know? Think about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fred Ivanovic)
    Well done, have a blue peter badge?
    I'm so happy, I can't tell you

Sometimes, I just hate when people pressure faith on me or do something like "pray for me at sometimes" .. Just a lil confused at the moment, with the suffering I've had in recent years (not technically but physically) it's so hard to keep up faith, but hopefully I'll find my path in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do!

ReputationRep:
    No. For reasons that have probably been repeated over and over again here. The universe is a brutal and savage place that won't give you anything for free. But with this comes a freedom that allows you to fight your own corner and find your own way through it.

(Original post by sonya_x)
    I actually like the way you're thinking. Yeah, I sometimes think about that aswell, but why should we be concerned about who created God when God is the one we're theoretically believing to have created us? It's like concerning yourself with your great-great-great-great-great-great ancestors, when they currently should have no relevance to your contemporary life. The gap is too wide for you to get caught up in the web, so there's really little possibility that you'll be successfully making that jump from trying to understand God to understanding his own creation when we can't even understand Him ourselves, you know? Think about it.
    No offence, but I don't have a clue what you're waffling about.

(Original post by Seanisonfire)
    No. For reasons that have probably been repeated over and over again here. The universe is a brutal and savage place that won't give you anything for free. But with this comes a freedom that allows you to fight your own corner and find your own way through it.
    That's a beautiful way of putting it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.