Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel so miserable. I used to be religious but then grew out of it. My mum on the other hand is really religious and its starting to impinge on my life. She just keeps preaching about God, the prophets, the importance of helping others etc etc and I keep switching off and feeling down whenever she talks. I just want to be free to live my life the way I want.

Anyway I wanted to ask everyone on here whether they believe in God or not and their reasons for it. Thanks.
    I don't think people's beliefs are anyone else's buisness, and no one, not even your mother should put pressure on you to believe in God.

Why don't these people realise if you're forced to believe in something it's worthless? It's more a power trip IMO.

Does she know your beliefs? She could just be innocently sharing her views with you thinking you feel the same... You can't moan about her if she doesn't know where you stand.

ReputationRep:
    fear is your only god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seanisonfire)
    No. For reasons that have probably been repeated over and over again here. The universe is a brutal and savage place that won't give you anything for free. But with this comes a freedom that allows you to fight your own corner and find your own way through it.
    Sean, that is so deep - I'm impressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogloom)
    Tell her that there is no evidence for god and that the concept of 'faith' is merely a combination of mental conditioning combined with inferior genetics.
    Wow. I'm ashamed to be a fellow non-believer if we're got tools like you spouting **** like that XD I agree with the mental conditioning, but seriously, wtf.

ReputationRep:
    I feel so miserable. I used to be religious but then grew out of it. My mum on the other hand is really religious and its starting to impinge on my life. She just keeps preaching about God, the prophets, the importance of helping others etc etc and I keep switching off and feeling down whenever she talks. I just want to be free to live my life the way I want.

Anyway I wanted to ask everyone on here whether they believe in God or not and their reasons for it. Thanks.
    Just want you to know.. unless you're mum is like fundamentalist and is convinced non-her-religions are possessed by the devil or something.. unless she's like that, it gets better.

My Mum is Christian. At about age 7, I became an atheist. She used to cry because her Church had taught her to be a good parent, bring up children as Christians; therefore if I was atheist, in the Church's eyes, she was a bad parent. It really upset her. She also used to always want to remind me around Christmas the true meaning of Christmas (winter solstice in paganism? oh right, jesus, that one.)

Anyway, she acted as though I hadn't lose my faith for a while and slowly slowly eased off. It took a few years though. Keep it up and your mum should get used to the idea.

She tells you about the importance of helping others? That's not just based on her religion!

I'm an atheist because I have seen no evidence for the existence of gods. An unproven thing is as likely as the next, so the universe could be created as easily by Allah, Yahweh, Zeus, or a purple frog called Cecil.
    Do I have any way to distinguish which god/s to believe in? No. Do I have any reasoning to believe in one at all? No. The default position is non-belief. Like, I don't believe in unicorns until you find one.

O.P im in the same situation as you, its gotten to the point where i feel almost suicidal at times. I just feel so confused and horrible. In the past we never used to be that religious,went to church 5 times a year at most but my mum has become really religious over the past 2 years, and been forcing me to go to church every sunday and sometimes on fridays andsaturdays, usually lasting forhoursand hours. I feel miserable when i go and even wiorse for feeling miserable, the fact that im forced and have no choice makes me believe even less.

Before i used to be a christian but now im a mess, dunno what i am, im so confused and just wish i had a choice in what i wanted to do. *sigh* i hate my life :cries:

ReputationRep:
    I'm leaning no towards no than yes but I remain open minded. I think there's probably 'something else' or some form of afterlife, but probably not a God as such, like one being that rules the universe. Plus there's all these other religions and they all can't be right, can they? What about religions with multiple gods? I just think Christianity and especially the way they drill it into your heads in primary schools kind of presents God as this dude in the sky with a beard...lol. And I just don't buy it. I bet I get struck by lightening for saying that. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Just type in the name of any new atheist into youtube, listen to what they say, and then pwn your mum in debate. She'll soon stfu.

Yesshhh

ReputationRep:
    Maybe there is god, or some other kind of power, but I'd rather say "no". But even if there is, I do not and will not love him or pray to him.

I do believe in aliens though. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogloom)
    Tell her that there is no evidence for god and that the concept of 'faith' is merely a combination of mental conditioning combined with inferior genetics.

What really blew religion out of the water for me were the pictures from the Hubble telescope. Its arrogant beyond belief to assume that our magnificent universe was created just for us. It may have been 'created', but certainly not by an entity described in those oversized fairy-tales. Say all this. if she still tries to convert you: falcon punch
    There is no evidence that there isn't a God.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Yes, I do believe in God. I would describe myself as an agnostic theist. I think if your mum is 'preaching' about the importance of helping others, you should listen to her and stop worrying so much about the issue of belief, for now.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in god because in my opinion there is too much scientific information out there to dismay a higher power. Although i do think there is a place for god because it helps raise alot for charity and gives people hope in times of need.

ReputationRep:
    Tough one, depends what you mean by God. if you mean the one created by religion to keep people in their place then no not particularly. however i do believe something/someone we dont understand yet created our universe. when you start trying to comprehend the massive scale of everything else out there you soon feel like Life on earth is little more than a lucky coincidence in the grand scheme of things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faith01)
    There is no evidence that there isn't a flying spaghetti monster, or any other supernatural being that I could potentially imagine. Hence there is no logical reason to jump to the conclusion that there is a judeo-christian god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alangeorge)
    I don't believe in god because in my opinion there is too much scientific information out there to dismay a higher power. Although i do think there is a place for god because it is the cause of most genocides and gives people false hope in times when real action is needed.
    FTFY

ReputationRep:
    Yep I do. Life makes a lot more sense with him in it for me. I like the feeling of having a purpose and a goal ( not to say that atheists don't).
    I've always tagged my self as a Christian but never fully believed, its ironic because the more Church and tradition was shoved down my throat, the worse I felt about myself and the less I knew God and what he was about. I took some time out to really think about what I believed in and since moving to Uni I've been going through a really difficult time but I sort of turned to God in my time of need and even though I'm not 100%, I can put up with it and I can endure. I think that my strength must have come from God and its through him that I have met some lovely people at Uni and also mended broken relationships. Its funny how suffering can actually bring you closer to God if you just depend on him.

I don't believe in the whole traditional, over religious approach to Christianity, I think religion is subjective as it is a relationship between an individual and God. One way of worship/prayer maybe be good for some people but not for everyone. I think its all about having some alone time and finding out what is right for you. You can't force religion on people otherwise its not going to be genuine, I don't believe in preaching at people. Its more about what you do and how you live your life than what you say. A genuine relationship with God can only be developed when you accept to him willingly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faith01)

Just because you can't prove or disprove God's existence, this does not mean that the probability for his existence is equal to the opposite probability.

There is no absolute evidence that there isn't any number of fantastical creatures. But what we know scientifically, coupled with complete lack of evidence makes the existence of god extremely improbable.

ReputationRep:
    Yes!

ReputationRep:
    No.

I believe the human ability to develop thought and be self aware has led to us to question our own mortality in a way no other animal can. And as such, we need to conjure up stories to sugar-coat mortality with an after-life and a reason for living. That's something that has been true of every culture on earth. I think it's ridiculous ancient roman and greek mythology is taught as silly old stories those naive fools believed, yet christianity is almost considered historical fact.

There's beauty in chaos. There doesn't need to be a reason for anything to be, it just turned out that way, there is no end destination or ultimate cause. And that's absolutely great, nothing wrong with it at all.

So many times religious people have asked me (and probably most non-believers) "Isn't life empty without god?". I don't see why a god has to exist for anyone to be happy, and taken from the opposite angle, why is a god needed at all? Why can't people take responsibility for their own actions or confide in themselves during hard times? I don't need to offload on a god, and life carries on whether I believe in him/her/it so why does it even matter? Then the afterlife threats come out with "If you don't believe in god, you'll go to hell", and that's a desperate argument.

As for the mathematical probability that there is a god, sure it isn't 0, but that isn't proof of god. I'd say the only logical position to take is of agnosticism. There may or may not be a god, it can't be proved or disproved (at least at the moment), and as such it is unreasonable to say there definitely is or isn't a god.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.