Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    there would be no such thing as life without god.

i believe in god. purly because i do not believe that every thing around us that has such complexity could be nature or man made, only god is that talented.

OP you do not have to believe in god if you dont want to but respect your mother faith she is only doing what the bible asks of her and encouraging jesus in your life.

but even if you did accept jesus as you lord and savoiur what is the worst that could happen?

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in anyone whom I have never met.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    :yep:, is there any point asking this question on TSR? youll just get responses from people who think their witty saying things like 'logic doesnt allow me to' :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogloom)
    Tell her that there is no evidence for god and that the concept of 'faith' is merely a combination of mental conditioning combined with inferior genetics.

What really blew religion out of the water for me were the pictures from the Hubble telescope. Its arrogant beyond belief to assume that our magnificent universe was created just for us. It may have been 'created', but certainly not by an entity described in those oversized fairy-tales. Say all this. if she still tries to convert you: falcon punch
    just because they're 'oversized fairy tales' doesn't mean they don't carry with them a worthwhile message - yes its ridiculous to follow every word in whatever scripture to the letter, because largely they're written in metaphor, and also they've been translated many hundreds of times - so to believe that's what's written now was exactly what was put down originally is naive

but if someone wants to believe in a higher power who created us and is nudging us in the right direction now and again - let them

so yes, i believe in God, and i'd like to continue to be able to without having my faith challenged every five minutes - even if i am an idiot for believing in so-called 'fairy tales'

ReputationRep:
    Wow, alot of none believers...

are you guys all rich?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    Sean, that is so deep - I'm impressed.
    I have my moments :wink2:

ReputationRep:
    Icertainly don't believe in him now, and haven't for a long time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demonic Entity)
    Wow, alot of none believers...

are you guys all rich?
    nope, not rich, I just have a brain allowing me to think for myself, and not follow other people like sheep, especially when I see their argument as outdated and flawed

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do believe in God and I'm glad for it. I turned to christianity at the age of 16 and have not regretted it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    nope, not rich, I just have a brain allowing me to think for myself, and not follow other people like sheep, especially when I see their argument as outdated and flawed
    Actually, if you think about it..christians do think for themselves. They tend to be those who think about the meaning of life and then go and search for what it is, my search led me to God. I find that a lot of agnostics who I know, are ones because they haven't given God much thought at all. That is just my observation.

It is much easier and lazier to dismiss that there is a God and to follow the crowd. There is some sort of stigma attached to being a christian, it is like a taboo thing, well sorry but I am not ashamed and I certainly do think for myself (that is why people call me stubborn lol).

For the record, I am not calling all non believers lazy, ignorant, or conceited. I'm stating that some I have known, have not even thought about or considered religion.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becksy)
    Actually, if you think about it..christians do think for themselves. They tend to be those who think about the meaning of life and then go and search for what it is, my search led me to God. I find that a lot of agnostics who I know, are ones because they haven't given God much thought at all. That is just my observation.

It is much easier and lazier to dismiss that there is a God and to follow the crowd. There is some sort of stigma attached to being a christian, it is like a taboo thing, well sorry but I am not ashamed and I certainly do think for myself (that is why people call me stubborn lol).

For the record, I am not calling all non believers lazy, ignorant, or conceited. I'm stating that some I have known, have not even thought about or considered religion.
    I am not criticising Christianity, if anything, I find that, after much research, the only plausible religion, though I still feel that Science is progressing, and soon enough there will be proof one way or the other, and I'm pretty sure Science will win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    I believe that there is something other than what we see, hear, feel and even comprehend. Whether that is a God or not, I don't know. I don't follow a 'religion' as such, because each religion just seems extremely flawed, and in my eyes, religion has ironically brought more hatred into the world than good. I really like the idea of something 'out there' that we can't even begin to imagine, that defies all logic that humans have ever thought to exist. Maybe the Universe was created by something, though even if it was, and on the small chance that something had conscious thought, there would be an extremely low chance it would have any knowledge of our existence. I just find it so interesting to think about sometimes. Meh.
    What is the pic next to your username? - that avatar of the fire eye?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    I am not criticising Christianity, if anything, I find that, after much research, the only plausible religion, though I still feel that Science is progressing, and soon enough there will be proof one way or the other, and I'm pretty sure Science will win.
    I am studying a science degree right now, so some of my coursemates find it surprising when they find out about my beliefs. I do not think that science and religion are incompatible, but we can agree to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    More than ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becksy)
    I am studying a science degree right now, so some of my coursemates find it surprising when they find out about my beliefs. I do not think that science and religion are incompatible, but we can agree to disagree.
    Good idea, because we could go on forever,
    Can't remember who said this, but ' Science vs Religion is like a shark vs a tiger, each will win on their own 'patch', and lose on the others'.

ReputationRep:
    Remind her their is a diffrence between phliosophy and religion, and tell her you have to make the decision for yourself, or it wont really mean a thing.

As for me - Omnipotant god who watches us and sends us to an after life? Hell no. So muc evidence against a soul, and none for an omnipotent god.
    -Some thing that created the universe? Possible...

ReputationRep:
    The universe was created by chance.
    We evolved into humans following a series of genetic accidents.
    Miracles don't happen.
    God doesn't exist.
    Jesus wasn't magic.
    When we die, we rot away and our bodies become just another part of the earth.

There are 7 Billion people on this planet.
    9 planets orbit our star (The Sun)
    There are around 350 Billion stars in our galaxy (The Milky Way)
    There are estimated to be up to 500 Billion galaxies in the universe.

We are just an insignificant speck in the vastness of universe. To think that God created all of that for us is a bit daft, don't you agree?

ReputationRep:
    Nope ^^

But im sure she's great

ReputationRep:
    you athiests talk trash man!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.