Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm... God. Here's my opinion:
    If there is a higher power or deity, we cannot even begin to try and understand how it functions, because clearly we have no evidence. We have no way of knowing if there was some almighty creator or some greater existence and even if we did it would be beyond the limits of human intelligence.

Therefore as we cannot understand this greater power (if it exists) to dwell on it is a pointless exercise. But then a lot of people are religious to avoid damnation due to being atheist. But who is right? Muslims claim that God will punish you if you are a Christian and vice versa, Buddhists claim that there is a certain path to Nirvana etc etc. Everyone claims that they are right when it is more likely that noone is right, because, as I have already explained, we have no way of understanding God.

I am therefore agnostic, but I believe that world religions have it wrong if there is a God.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do. I have been brought up as a Christian, I attend church morning services every Sunday. Religion is a big part in my life. However, please do not be mad at your mother, maybe she feels that God has helped her through so many things in her life that she feels she couldn't show her gratitude to him enough. There is nothing wrong with being religious. Many think that you have to dedicate your whole life to God, which is partly true, but that assumption ISN'T particularly accurate. I am a normal girl who likes to go shopping and does the normal things teenage girls do (sorry if this is irrelevant), I can be a normal teenager aswell as being religious. Just pray at times of need and be thankful for what you have. May God Bless You and your mother/family. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. Which is why, when asked about what I believe in, I often claim to be an agnostic.

Who knows, it might have been conditioning due to a Roman Catholic upbringing, but when I’m at my lowest, I do start addressing some kind of supreme power or divine and call it ‘lord.’

I have over the past few years, however, expressed deep interest in Eastern philosophies. And I do think that there is a potential for a transcendental truth to exist; a truth that cannot be accessed by the limited capabilities of the human mind, but can be better ‘understood’ through meditation and science.

Just out of interest though, why are you miserable? I must admit, everything was easier when I believed, full-heartedly, in the existence of God... Then again, call it strange, but I find more beauty in the idea of nothingness. Whatever beauty is... *mind explosion*

ReputationRep:
    I believe in God because I have evidence of the things he does in my life. There are a whole lot of things which some, esp scientists and philosophers say disprove God - like the theory of evolution - but if I believed in God because of the flaws in those arguments then I'd stop believing in Him once someone came up with better ones.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in any Gods that are depicted in religion at all, and the full force of all my reasoning assures me that the God depicted in the Bible/Qu'ran/whatever is about as likely to be true as the God from the Lord of the Rings. I am quite convinced by the model of a higher power depicted by deist philosophies, though, that a power created the whole universe and left it to run on its own (reading through this thread, a lot of people also find that idea quite compelling too). Mostly related but even better than deism is the idea of pandeism, that the universe is actually the entirety of the higher power.

These are only really passing thoughts, though. I've realised theres no point giving SERIOUS thought to such things, as you cannot prove them one way or another, I just think through these things because they interest me.

(Original post by gingergooner)
    Hmmm... God. Here's my opinion:
    If there is a higher power or deity, we cannot even begin to try and understand how it functions, because clearly we have no evidence. We have no way of knowing if there was some almighty creator or some greater existence and even if we did it would be beyond the limits of human intelligence.

Therefore as we cannot understand this greater power (if it exists) to dwell on it is a pointless exercise.

I am therefore agnostic, but I believe that world religions have it wrong if there is a God.
    This is exactly what I think. Speculating about whether there is a higher power or not and what its nature are just idle thoughts for me, because it's kind of fun to speculate. I give no credence to whatever deity large swathes of the population invent for themselves to give them hope/ability to cope with stress/whatever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dyingdaybyday)
    What is the pic next to your username? - that avatar of the fire eye?
    What do you mean 'what is it'? It's an eye that's on fire.

ReputationRep:
    do i? no...

bible? its a story book.... supose people in 1000 years will believe charlie and the choc factory was real....

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Yes I believe in (one) God.

Here are one of the many reasons why....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faith01)
    you athiests talk trash man!
    I lol`d :p:

ReputationRep:
    sometimes, like when i find 2 quid on the floor or something

but sometimes i dont, like when it rains and my hair gets ruined

ReputationRep:

:bigsmile:

ReputationRep:
    Of course i do.The Christian God called Yahweh.Things that were mentioned in the bible(written over 1000 years ago) have recently been 'discoverd' by scientists.So there you go,God is the ultimate scientist.

Just read through the link below.

http://www.bibletoday.com/archive/proof_text.htm

ReputationRep:
    I don't belive in God, I belive in Chuck Norris.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonya_x)
    Ok, personally, yes, I do believe there's a God. Why? Well, I'm a generally scientific person, and I seem to like to explain everything down to its deepest core. And while simultaneously maintaining the belief that science DOES provide answers to the question on HOW things are created, they don't provide WHY they are. Have you ever thought why things happen, or the reason for their creation? I think that alot of people who don't believe in God sort of can't seem to tolerate or accept the thought of their being a reason for life because they can't find it. Maybe that's because, as humans, we have our limitations, and we can only explain things in the way that logic allows us to. But perhaps this reason exceeds our own knowledge, and certainly logic. Like someone said before, (sorry, I can't remember who ) everything seems to complex to be explained by coincidence. If you think about it scientifically, bosons are used to maintain the relationship and bond between sub-atomic particles, and such. They provide it with the fundamental orbit of structure. So maybe there is a physically invisible boson (if you'd like to refer to it as that) that thrives to maintain the relationship and comprehensions made within nature and why things happen. Because certainly science HAS proven that non-organic organisms do not have a brain of their own, and thus, cannot provide its own reason for living, which, in this case, must be controlled by a certain entity (or God, in general terms), otherwise, there would be no point of this entity and everything would incorporate its own way of life.

Any questions?
    Randomly I guess. I doubt there's a 'God' though, something maybe but not something that reasons and would give us an explanation why.

I don't think there's a place for creatures after death, so neither for us - we're only a tad higher than them on intelligence in the scheme of things... People just can't accept there might not be a point, it's too depressing.

ReputationRep:
    It was only a few months ago when i realised that you can be an overall good person WITHOUT god, and the time you normally devote for praying/going church/pilgrimages etc. can be used in more productive way - like voluntary work or generally helping others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovepolska)
    It was only a few months ago when i realised that you can be an overall good person WITHOUT god, and the time you normally devote for praying/going church/pilgrimages etc. can be used in more productive way - like voluntary work or generally helping others.
    "Two hands put to work can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer" Very wise words...:yep:

ReputationRep:
    There is and will never be tangible evidence either way, no logical argument can prove or disprove 'god', so (dis)belief is irrelevant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_anonymous_friend)
    Of course i do.The Christian God called Yahweh.Things that were mentioned in the bible(written over 1000 years ago) have recently been 'discoverd' by scientists.So there you go,God is the ultimate scientist.

Just read through the link below.

http://www.bibletoday.com/archive/proof_text.htm
    One of the best things ive ever read. :p: :p:
    You gotta love it when religions despretly try to interprete thier holy book into coinciding with science.

Lets go through this together, shall we?

1.) What hold the earth up? Yes, very impressive statment from the bible. Shame the quarn says exactly the same thing..

2.)Flat earth vs reality...
    "circle of the earth." Solomon wrote, "He [God] set a compass [circle] upon the face of the deep.
    Fail. How does this interpate to a sphere?
    The quarn says egg shaped, which is closer.

3.)"Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them." God went on to reassure Jeremiah that the universe is under God’s control.
    Brillient. Dosnt really answer the question though did it? In any way, shape or form?

4.)"the valleys of the sea." - Yes, the sea does have valleyes, you got one correct. Gold star? Mbay god created those, not through complex geologic methords but in the 6 days the bible says? :rolleyes:

5.) ....and?

6.) "God made decrees [rules] for the rain. And He set a way for the lightning of the thunder:"

(Aparently there was no rain before the bible predicted it...)

7.) Many refrences about pagen star constelations...

How can you be taken in by this rubbish? Evry holy book has predicted things. In context the bible has no similarity to science. Think about the many contredictions with his seven day creation theory...He created stars out of atoms, before he gave them light photons..!

Please, give some rebutle to my comments instead of running away.
    (And dont think that replying with an insult about my horrible spelling is in anyway a reasoned debate)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I believe in God.

I also believe in evolution, equal rights for gay people, that euthanasia should be an option for people who want it and that everyone should be able to have an abortion if they want to.

The Bible didn't arrive as a fax from heaven. It can't all be taken literally. In fact, some parts of it - in my opinion - should just be ignored (gay bashing in particular).

Nonetheless, my faith just makes sense to me in a way I can't really describe. It's made me a happier and a better person. I just don't talk about it much. For me, it's personal. I don't understand people who throw their religion in others faces and try to impose their beliefs on others. Live and let live, I say.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.