The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well quite frankly if you don't want to hear your mother talking about it then you should GTFO of her house!!!!!!
Reply 121
Butterflyleg

:bigsmile:

Hah, made me laugh.
GottaLovePhysics! :)
One of the best things ive ever read. :p: :p:
You gotta love it when religions despretly try to interprete thier holy book into coinciding with science.

Lets go through this together, shall we?

1.) What hold the earth up? Yes, very impressive statment from the bible. Shame the quarn says exactly the same thing..

2.)Flat earth vs reality...
"circle of the earth." Solomon wrote, "He [God] set a compass [circle] upon the face of the deep.
Fail. How does this interpate to a sphere?
The quarn says egg shaped, which is closer.

3.)"Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them." God went on to reassure Jeremiah that the universe is under God’s control.
Brillient. Dosnt really answer the question though did it? In any way, shape or form?

4.)"the valleys of the sea." - Yes, the sea does have valleyes, you got one correct. Gold star? Mbay god created those, not through complex geologic methords but in the 6 days the bible says? :rolleyes:

5.) ....and?

6.) "God made decrees [rules] for the rain. And He set a way for the lightning of the thunder:"

(Aparently there was no rain before the bible predicted it...)

7.) Many refrences about pagen star constelations...

How can you be taken in by this rubbish? Evry holy book has predicted things. In context the bible has no similarity to science. Think about the many contredictions with his seven day creation theory...He created stars out of atoms, before he gave them light photons..!

Please, give some rebutle to my comments instead of running away.
(And dont think that replying with an insult about my horrible spelling is in anyway a reasoned debate)

Have you ever considered that the terminology and syntax used in the days of the Bible/Quran is wayyy different to modern day language? Since humans have evolved so much in understanding of the human world, we needed to develop a wider range and understanding of vocabulary in order to synchronise with means of communicating ideas. Back in the day, if the Bible or Quran had used the terminology that we used today to describe things, nobody would have understood it, and thence, believed it. So therefore, there wouldn't have been a Bible or a Quran for us today; it would have merely been a myth.
Reply 123
sonya_x
Have you ever considered that the terminology and syntax used in the days of the Bible/Quran is wayyy different to modern day language? Since humans have evolved so much in understanding of the human world, we needed to develop a wider range and understanding of vocabulary in order to synchronise with means of communicating ideas. Back in the day, if the Bible or Quran had used the terminology that we used today to describe things, nobody would have understood it, and thence, believed it. So therefore, there wouldn't have been a Bible or a Quran for us today; it would have merely been a myth.

Are you serious? So you are comparing medieval human beings to children? Yet, thousands of years before the Qu'ran was written. The greeks were studying theories on atoms and astronomy and science which is far more advanced than that found in the holy scriptures.

As for Qu'ranic science i think this article deals very well with the apparent claims of divinity.

Spoiler

sonya_x

So when a 2000 year old book proclaims its predicted the world is a shpere, when the book says circle? My point was that with so many books making predictions about the world, how can this person belive there book was inspiered by god?

Why didnt thier god give us real proof? Maby some useful advice?
Instead of telling us that the earth is egg shaped, or that there are underwater vallys, why didnt he give some advice about health and desise.

These random guesses hold no proof that thier god exists...
religion is a creation of man, as is God.

It is just an embodiment of what we feel is missing in our existence. It is a drug that cures all ills. A sad illusion.
Angela_Beth
Yes, I believe in God.

I also believe in evolution, equal rights for gay people, that euthanasia should be an option for people who want it and that everyone should be able to have an abortion if they want to.

The Bible didn't arrive as a fax from heaven. It can't all be taken literally. In fact, some parts of it - in my opinion - should just be ignored (gay bashing in particular).

Nonetheless, my faith just makes sense to me in a way I can't really describe. It's made me a happier and a better person. I just don't talk about it much. For me, it's personal. I don't understand people who throw their religion in others faces and try to impose their beliefs on others. Live and let live, I say.

Hey Angela,

What you just said is quite contradictory.If you call your self a christian (follower of Christ) you should practice what he commmands.You should know that God does not accept half measures and Christ does actually warn lukewarm Christians.How can you believe in evolution and you say that you believe in God.Remember Adam and Eve ?
Ignore part of the bible ? That is the divine inspired word of God.You either walk in the spirit in this world or in the flesh and there is no inbetweens.Very difficult i know,but that is what following Christ is all about.
I do not mean to attack you but was just trying to put a few things straight.

Regards.
Nope! :biggrin:
yes, yes i do
i'm christian. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending