Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

eczema - any help? watch

Announcements

I've got a load of eczema on both my legs and also some on my left hand fingers. Before xmas it was really bad, then I went home and it got even worse (wearing jeans was absolutely agonising) then came back to uni and it improved a bit, now 3 weeks later it's getting worse again.

I saw a doctor before xmas and she gave me hydrocortisone 1% to use for 1 week and said it would clear up. Needless to say the hydrocortisone did **** all. I haven't changed my soap or shampoo, I wash my clothes in the same washing powder I've always used, I have no idea why it keeps getting so bad. Does anyone have the same problem and managed to get rid of it?

ReputationRep:
    I have really bad eczema on the inside of my elbows, and I found the best way to control it is just to blitz it with moisturiser literally every 30 minutes for a week or so. I use Neutrogena Comfort Balm, and it seems to work pretty well. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I advise you to keep that area lathered in a very moisturising cream..this will help soothe it and prevent the skin from cracking
    I have eczma on the palm of my hand which is pretty irritating as i often get sweaty palms which washes away any cream i put on!

Just any moisturising cream will do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've got a load of eczema on both my legs and also some on my left hand fingers. Before xmas it was really bad, then I went home and it got even worse (wearing jeans was absolutely agonising) then came back to uni and it improved a bit, now 3 weeks later it's getting worse again.

I saw a doctor before xmas and she gave me hydrocortisone 1% to use for 1 week and said it would clear up. Needless to say the hydrocortisone did **** all. I haven't changed my soap or shampoo, I wash my clothes in the same washing powder I've always used, I have no idea why it keeps getting so bad. Does anyone have the same problem and managed to get rid of it?
    Hydrocortisone 1% is absolutely useless for all but the most mild eczema.

Betnovate is quite good, ask your GP for it.

ReputationRep:
    Washing too much can really irritate the skin.
    Maybe change your soap/shower gel to something simple and skin-friendly?

I have pretty bad eczema, and Hydrocortisone usually helps.
    However, when it gets really bad, my doctor'll prescribe Eumovate. It's quite strong, but maybe you could ask your doctor about that?

ReputationRep:
    wash/bathe with something like oilatum. use something like aqueous cream or diprobase as a moisturiser and ask for some betnovate from your doctor. Or eumovate if they suggest. Avoid biological washing powders.

I get it on my hands sometimes in winter.

hi
    i used to have terrible eczema, and now quite mild only on neck.
    the creams the doctors gave didnt heal the eczema it just helped to keep it moisturise for those few hours
    i would recommend "hemp body butter" from the body shop.
    it has pretty much gotten rid of all my eczema - it was so bad i used to have to wear bandages all over my body to go to sleep!
    if you find that cream too thick then just mix it with something thinner lyk nivea
    thats for moisturisation
    if u have lyk cuts n stuff frm scratching it or waeva then use aloe gelly cream from forever living products- that stuff is EXCELLENT! only need a little bit
    also its great for spots lol
    or even just fresh juicey stuff from an aloe plant!
    hope u take my advice and it helps

ReputationRep:
    Do you regularly change towels to dry your legs/ arms with?
    Also use E45, it's usually the one everyone uses and clears up everything. Make sure it's suitable for you though ask your doctor.
    Another cream you can use is the Vaseline intensive rescue moisture locking body lotion, it's for very dry skin.

Remember to regularly change your towels and keep the area dry! only apply moisturising cream to the area and nothing else.

Eat plenty of fruits, orange, banana and apply etc.

(Original post by PJ991)
    wash/bathe with something like oilatum. use something like aqueous cream or diprobase as a moisturiser and ask for some betnovate from your doctor. Or eumovate if they suggest. Avoid biological washing powders.

I get it on my hands sometimes in winter.
    yeah I'm actually allergic to biological washing powder as well as numerous types of soap so I always use non-perfumed, skin-friendly soap and non-bio washing powder.

I'll google those names and then return to my doctor with my orders :p:

thanks!

actually I'll try the moisturising cream several times a day first, seeing as it's cheaper than £7.20 prescription. Thanks for the answers guys, lots of stuff here for me to try.

Your skin is your biggest organ so try doing a cleanse to clean out your liver and kidneys.
    Things like eggs can flare it up, try cutting things out to see what the trigger is
    Use Emu aand Aloe Vera oil

ReputationRep:
    Betnovate is where its at!!
    And oilatum is pretty good for everyday use to lock in moisture and keep this stupid skin condition on the down low.
    Avoid using perfume based soaps (use the Simple range, about £1 for two bars of soap from Wilko)
    Drink lots of water
    Perhaps get an allergy test done, its really useful - I'm allergic to oranges, cheese, egg yolk and nuts mainly.

ReputationRep:
    hey
    i've had eczema problems and i'd recommend e45 cream cos it absorbs easily and its not too greasy either also oilatum formula that you put in the bath worked wonders for me, its lovely and soft and you just pat your skin dry, it shouldn't irritate it. I also had some steroid cream prescribed from the doctors, think it was hydrocortisone, only to be used sparingly and it cleared up pretty fast hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    yeah I'm actually allergic to biological washing powder as well as numerous types of soap so I always use non-perfumed, skin-friendly soap and non-bio washing powder.

I'll google those names and then return to my doctor with my orders :p:

thanks!
    betnovate is a lot stronger than eumovate. Then there's betnovate, and diluted betnovate, which is what I get.

I got eumovate over the counter for free under the Think Pharmacy First scheme. Same for the moisturisers. Diprobase I got without prescription, but I don't know if you can actually buy it.

If it's particularly bad, you could ask for bandages. I had them when I was younger. I hated them.

I have had eczema since I was born, and now its visibly improved.

The thing that really improved it very recently was my doctor giving me DoubleBase as my main cream [as opposed to Diprobase which I had always used before], and using Fucivet, just a little bit of that each time.

The doctor had previously given me hydrocortisone which also for me, didn't do much.

BUt with the two I've mentioned, the itching died down instantly, and the visibly rough gross patches on my elbows and behind my legs had gone.

Eczema is a *****, and I'v had to live with it all my life, being teased and everything, but now it's one less stress for me since I started using that combination of creams.

The good thing about them both is theyre not too greasy, especially the DoubleBase as opposed to the Diprobase.

Hope things improve for you

ReputationRep:
    Betnovate literally kills eczema within days. From my experience. I really, really recommend it. Yes, you may have to pay for the prescription. But it's worth it !

ReputationRep:
    i use something called double bass for day to day use but if my eczema flares up i do use hydrocortisone which seems to work after a few days of regular use. I always use non-bio washing powder because that definitely makes things worse but i'd say the main thing is diet. My eczema usually flares up around xmas time just because i eat so much crap! Goat's milk and cheese is amazing for helping to clear up any patches u might get but obv it would take a few days to digest and really get to work. I'd say a glass of goat's milk everyday would definitely go a long way to improve ur skin and steer clear of things like bubble baths that dry up your skin completely.

ReputationRep:

I had agonising amounts of eczema, my doctor gave me Elecon Cream, and years of misery was over in about one week. Ask about Elecon.:yep:

ReputationRep:

And you have been using the hydrocortisone cream 1-2 times daily, applying it thinly?

I think your doctor will probably ask you to complete the treatment for another week and then might go for a moderate or potent topical treatment such as Eumovate (moderate) or I suspect as a lot of users have been saying betnovate (potent) if the moderate treatment has no effect.

Normally a doctor won't prescribe a potent topical treatment straight away, as they should want to reduce the chance of side effects by prescribing you the least potent treatment that is fully effective.

Make sure your body is well moisturized and also when buying new jeans make sure you wash them first before putting them on. The dye could be an irritant.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.