Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm just interested in the atmosphere of student journalism at Oxford University, and it seems to me the two large newspapers are:
    The Oxford Student and Cherwell

So, my questions are, to current students:

-which one do you prefer?
    -what are the good and bad bits of each one?
    -are they based on contrary political beliefs or not, more liberal, more conservative, etc.?
    -are they popular overall?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    To be honest, very few people (other than the people who actually write for them) seriously care about the student newspapers or what's in them. I always found them quite samey and not terribly interesting.

ReputationRep:
    A useful and profound insight into the minds of Oxford journalists can be found at www.oxfordgossip.nr (in the "press packers" section).

Choose whichever group is the most unreprehensible.

ReputationRep:
    Cherwell is more professional. OxStu is nicer to write for.

And the Oxymoron is the pinnacle of student journalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    And the Oxymoron is the pinnacle of student journalism.
    Thanks for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    Thanks for that.
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    What do you mean?
    The Oxymoron is pretty hilarious. It's a nice find, thanks for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    The Oxymoron is pretty hilarious. It's a nice find, thanks for that.
    Oh right. Yeah, it's gold.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i love the oxymoron. apparently our jcr doesn't subscribe though so i still haven't seen the more recent one

all i know about the cherwell vs the ox stu is that the ox stu has a better music section.

ReputationRep:
    I ******* love the oxymoron - especially the splash/gash correlation graphs they did a little while back! My claim to fame is I made the front cover of the oxymoron in my first year - they used one of the photos from matriculation!

On the OxStu vs the Cherwell... I have little to say about either really, both have some fairly gash articles in them and the rowing ones are lamentable at the best of times based on the number of factual errors they make! Why they can't just get a rower to proof read it is beyond me... I suppose they make good packaging materials and are good keeping you occupied on the loo!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.