Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm off driving just now and am looking to get it back for my birthday on 14th Feb, when the insurance will be a bit cheaper. My car is currently waiting, SORNed at the moment.

If I have an insurance policy to start on the 14th February, will I be able to apply for a tax disc before then? The tax disc would start on February 1st so there would be a time when I'm not insured to drive a taxed vehicle.

The second problem is that February 14th is a Sunday this year, so I'll be damned if I find a post office whose fleet of staff are not all in bed being fed sausages by a machine.

Is anyone aware of what the DVLA does about this (the tax please, not the sausage machine)?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    In order to tax your vehicle, you must have insurance cover that:

* covers you against third party claims for death or injury and damage to property caused by using the vehicle
    * covers your use of the vehicle for taxing purposes
    * is valid on the day the tax disc comes into force

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...icle/DG_069671

In short no.

Can't you get the insurance to start on the saturday and go and get the tax then?

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    According to this, "those buying their vehicle tax online, by phone or by post will be able to legally continue to drive their vehicles for up to 5 days while they wait for their new tax disc to arrive."

However I'm not sure if it will apply to SORNed vehicles as the article also states
    "This will only apply where the new tax disc has been applied for before the current one expires and motorists should continue to display the expired disc on their vehicle, until the new one arrives."

If you buy it online I guess you will have a printable receipt etc to prove you've paid but I don't know how quickly the police system would be updated and how they would see it if they were to stop you. Also I'm no expert on the law but I think the fine is simply for not displaying regardless of whether you have paid or not.

It sounds like it might be better to wait a day and tax it on the Monday unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Well i got my tax today for my car and the insurance dont start til monday! I think you can get it 2days before ur car is set to be insured!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leeb12345)
    According to this, "those buying their vehicle tax online, by phone or by post will be able to legally continue to drive their vehicles for up to 5 days while they wait for their new tax disc to arrive."

However I'm not sure if it will apply to SORNed vehicles as the article also states
    "This will only apply where the new tax disc has been applied for before the current one expires and motorists should continue to display the expired disc on their vehicle, until the new one arrives."

If you buy it online I guess you will have a printable receipt etc to prove you've paid but I don't know how quickly the police system would be updated and how they would see it if they were to stop you. Also I'm no expert on the law but I think the fine is simply for not displaying regardless of whether you have paid or not.

It sounds like it might be better to wait a day and tax it on the Monday unfortunately.
    Yeah, that's the problem. I planned on coming home for my birthday, getting my car, and driving back to uni early Monday morning.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the post office and get one whiel you wait?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.