Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Advanced tickets watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ive been searching for the cheapest tickets and how come i cannot purchase advance tickets anymore? the other cheaper option is off peak.

ReputationRep:
    What website? Where are you going from/to?

ReputationRep:
    ive checked virgin, the trainline, national rail
    going from birmingham to blackpool

i bought advanced tickets a few months ago to go home for christmas and now i cant seem to choose the advanced ticket option

ReputationRep:
    try national express and east midlands train

(Original post by nneka!)
    try national express and east midlands train
    Why? It's all a central system that runs off the same software, the fares are usually for any operator (with a few exceptions) so it doesn't really matter. Equally NXEC (now just East Coast) and East Midlands Trains don't operate a route of any use between Blackpool and Birmingham. It's most likely to be Transpennine Express to either Preston or Manchester then Virgin Trains or Cross Country respectively to B,ham New Street.

At least I'm pretty sure about that correct me if I'm wrong.

You probably can't buy advance tickets because either a) you're trying to book them too soon i.e. not in advance or b) the tickets for that particular service are all booked up. A certain proportion of seats in each carriage is destined as cheap, advance seats and another proportion as full-price once all the cheap seats are gone the only option left is the expensive ones. Try different dates/days. Also try looking at buying 2 singles instead of one return.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    Why? It's all a central system that runs off the same software, the fares are usually for any operator (with a few exceptions) so it doesn't really matter. Equally NXEC (now just East Coast) and East Midlands Trains don't operate a route of any use between Blackpool and Birmingham. It's most likely to be Transpennine Express to either Preston or Manchester then Virgin Trains or Cross Country respectively to B,ham New Street.

At least I'm pretty sure about that correct me if I'm wrong.

You probably can't buy advance tickets because either a) you're trying to book them too soon i.e. not in advance or b) the tickets for that particular service are all booked up. A certain proportion of seats in each carriage is destined as cheap, advance seats and another proportion as full-price once all the cheap seats are gone the only option left is the expensive ones. Try different dates/days. Also try looking at buying 2 singles instead of one return.

Hope this helps.
    the prices are different on some websites (but roughly only a £2 difference)

(Original post by nneka!)
    the prices are different on some websites (but roughly only a £2 difference)
    Oh yeah, that's the booking fee, no? Just don't book them on a site with a booking fee.

It doesn't look like they give different prices.

I tested it with an Off-Peak journey on Monday going from West Drayton to Great Yarmouth with a 16-25 railcard (my journey home :awesome:) and the fares are exactly the same on thetrainline.com, National Express East Anglia, East Midland Trains and ScotRail. As usual I'm wasting my time so others don't have to. Haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    Oh yeah, that's the booking fee, no? Just don't book them on a site with a booking fee.

It doesn't look like they give different prices.

I tested it with an Off-Peak journey on Monday going from West Drayton to Great Yarmouth with a 16-25 railcard (my journey home :awesome:) and the fares are exactly the same on thetrainline.com, National Express East Anglia, East Midland Trains and ScotRail. As usual I'm wasting my time so others don't have to. Haha.
    i brought a return ticket rom loughborough to canterbury for £31 on east midlandtrains and national express was £33.35. so ha! in your face! :o:

im really tired, so im acting quite strange

ReputationRep:
    There are occasionally advance tickets available, but you need to book far enough in advance, and they may not be available on some lines. They also tend to be for specific trains, the time you are travelling can affect whether or not an advance fare is available.
    The next best option is an off-peak ticket.

Do you travel frequently? Are you 16-25?
    If yes to both these questions, a 16-25 Railcard may not be a bad idea. For £26/year, you can save 1/3 on most/all tickets - If you travel frequently this cost will be outweighed by your savings

----
    A tip: if you don't mind a bit of extra work and want to save money, look at buying separate tickets.
    E.g. today I'm heading from Cardiff to Plymouth.
    Buying an off-peak return would cost me £39.40,
    However: Buying peak returns for: Cardiff-Bristol, Bristol-Exeter, Exeter-Plymouth, I spent only £34.70.
    And i've checked again, I could have got it cheaper, the CDF-BRI train. Pretty strange, throws a spanner in the 'booking earlier makes it cheaper' Oh well!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.