Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Shyness and confidence the same thing? Watch

Dya think shyness and confidence are the same thing?

I think that the two arent mutually exclusive, and you can be confident, yet shy when you're with strangers or big crowds, or reading out to a large audience.

On the other hand you can be unconfident, but willing to talk to others being the centre of attention.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I think they're the same thing actually... you can't be confident and shy at the same time in the same EXACT situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Dya think shyness and confidence are the same thing?

I think that the two arent mutually exclusive, and you can be confident, yet shy when you're with strangers or big crowds, or reading out to a large audience.

On the other hand you can be unconfident, but willing to talk to others being the centre of attention.

Thoughts?
    Surely it depends on what you classify as confidence? There's different elements and factors that make someone shy. Is it a character trait or an innate personality? I know people who have always been and always will be shy and people who were once shy but grow in confidence.

I think it depends on the person, the situation, their history and their influences.

It's not really a definitive answer because I don't think there is one. Sorry.
    (...and why anonymous?)

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes pretend to be more confident than I am. You won't survive without confidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mac29)
    I think they're the same thing actually... you can't be confident and shy at the same time in the same EXACT situation.
    Well, im confident, overly-confident, of my own abilities and of who I am.

But still, I can get shy at times :rolleyes: So i dnno...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mac29)
    I agree. You don't really say, 'I feel shy but I feel confident at the moment', while you do say, 'sometimes I'm shy and sometimes I'm not'.
    Nervous and shy aren't really the same, and you can definitely be quiet, but confident.

ReputationRep:
    I am comfortable enough with myself being quiet and distant from most people.

ReputationRep:
    Just because opposites can co-exist doesn't mean that they are the same thing. All it means is that humans are complex.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they're the same thing at all but that doesn't mean you can't be a bit of both. I'm confident in my school work and stuff, but when it comes to social situations, I'm very very shy. It just depends.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.