Turn on thread page Beta

How important is it to stay in halls at uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer from my best friend who goes to Greenwich uni to find a house with him and some other people. The offers open for anywhere I would prefer living in London so I wouldn't have to move far from my course (although I'm waiting for all my offers/rejections it'll probably be city university.)

I've realised I have to decide really soon as it would be unfair not to let him try and find someone else to live with and pull out when everyone already has groups to move in with.

So my dilemma is, best friend who I know I would like to live with, have fun with etc but I wouldn't want to miss out on meeting loads of people at my uni/ my course and missing out on a great experience.

On the other hand I could get awful roommates in halls =/. Tbh i'm not the most social person in the world, I'm one of those people who would rather stay in with a hot choccy and watch a film them go clubbing most of the time lol. This might be more of a reason to move into halls - it would be much easier to make friends.

TL/DR Halls or house with friend?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Always halls - I can't overstate how much benefit living in halls is.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine either way. You might miss out on the spontaneity of halls, but you can still join societies/sports clubs and go out with people from your course too. Halls is great fun, but other than learning to live with lots of different people most don't really take that much from it. Other than two of my closest friends (both of which are on my course anyway) and one of my current housemates, I barely see anyone from my halls these days. Of course, some people made more lasting friendships in halls, but my point is that it's just as easy to make friends with people not in your halls.

ReputationRep:
    Go halls. If you don't like it, you can always move back in with said friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    Go halls. If you don't like it, you can always move back in with said friend.
    Not if they've signed a 12 month contract with other people...

ReputationRep:
    Halls is awesome fun so i'd say halls

It's very unlikely you won't like someone cool in halls somewhere

ReputationRep:
    Whenever this is asked the vast majority of those in halls say it's essential and the majority of those who live elsewhere don't think it matters all that much.

Make of it what you will.

ReputationRep:
    Think about what you want from university and then go for which one makes you happier, not what people on a forum tell you to do. Living in London, there's no guarantee your halls are going to be anyway near the action, as it were, so if living with your friend appeals more, do it and just join a few societies and speak to people on your course where you can.

I don't live in halls and feel that I've settled in just as well as my friends who do live in halls. My friend lives in London halls and is moving in with a few people on her course next year, so she made some lasting friends via student accommodation. :rolleyes:

(Original post by Grotbag)
    Whenever this is asked the vast majority of those in halls say it's essential and the majority of those who live elsewhere don't think it matters all that much.

Make of it what you will.
    This is certainly true. Very few people have a balanced experience of both living in halls and out of halls for the first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Think about what you want from university and then go for which one makes you happier, not what people on a forum tell you to do. Living in London, there's no guarantee your halls are going to be anyway near the action, as it were, so if living with your friend appeals more, do it and just join a few societies and speak to people on your course where you can.

I don't live in halls and feel that I've settled in just as well as my friends who do live in halls. My friend lives in London halls and is moving in with a few people on her course next year, so she made some lasting friends via student accommodation. :rolleyes:

This is certainly true. Very few people have a balanced experience of both living in halls and out of halls for the first year.

lol She doesn't know which will make her happier, hence her asking for advice in this thread. :rolleyes: ... I'm not at Uni but friends have stressed that living in halls is a good experience

ReputationRep:
    You need to factor in transport costs, and how far you and your friend are willing to travel, as they are quite far apart. I would say if you went to Goldsmiths this would be less of an issue, because they're in walking distance of each other, but when one's in north London, and one's in south London, it becomes more of an issue. I doubt you could find somewhere affordable and central to live, student lets tend not to exist outside student areas.

ReputationRep:
    Halls can be a bloody nightmare, with almost no sleep some of the time. Make sure you take some ear plugs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwentyTen)
    lol She doesn't know which will make her happier, hence her asking for advice in this thread. :rolleyes:
    What makes her happier: which option out of living in halls and living in a private house will be more suited to what she wants out of uni. My advice to her being, think about what she wants for herself and not take the advice of people who don't know her on a forum.

ReputationRep:
    I cant quote everyone but will try and ansew everyone :

Location is up to me really, it'll have to be more south then north but my friend was hoping to move closer to central anyway, and as someone said because its london transport will probably always be an issue unless I'm really lucky.

I'm asking because I havn't got experience of living in halls or a student house so I don't know which would be better/ whether housing would hinder my experience. I've heard a lot of people say that they've found it hard to start conversations with people on their course and their true friends are the people they met at halls. I just wanted to know if that was comman or not.

Leaving halls if I don't like it isn't really an option as they would have found other people to live with/ signed a two year contract etc.

Thanks everyone for the advice

ReputationRep:
    Halls enhanced my university experience no end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    What makes her happier: which option out of living in halls and living in a private house will be more suited to what she wants out of uni. My advice to her being, think about what she wants for herself and not take the advice of people who don't know her on a forum.
    Again, she's asking for advice...No point in me trying to explain at this point because if I know TSR, this will probably turn into an argument that will end up going on for days so I'll stop there. Bye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwentyTen)
    Again, she's asking for advice...No point in me trying to explain at this point because if I know TSR, this will probably turn into an argument that will end up going on for days so I'll stop there. Bye.
    Won't argue for days, don't have the energy for it. :p: I think there's been some miscommunication here, and I believe it's me misreading things so apologies if any of this came off confrontational... Advice about what both of them entail is good, I'm just saying she shouldn't take "OMG halls are the best!" as gospel without considering if it's best for her.

ReputationRep:
    Halls. You can always meet up with your friend when you guys are free. Plus, your friends and their friends can all meet up and go out together, that way you can have a bigger friendship group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    I'm asking because I havn't got experience of living in halls or a student house so I don't know which would be better/ whether housing would hinder my experience. I've heard a lot of people say that they've found it hard to start conversations with people on their course and their true friends are the people they met at halls. I just wanted to know if that was comman or not.
    For me it was the opposite way around; I didn't really have that much in common with most people in my halls and made so many friends on my course. Seminars are often the best way to get to know people.

ReputationRep:
    Living in halls is what makes the experience.. It's a shame for the students who live at home. I did a year at a previous uni in my homecity, and I lived at home because it was literally 5 minutes away. How much I missed out on!

Try living in halls first. If you don't, you will regret it! If you end up having bad hallmates, you can always move in with your best friend. Though honestly I think you'd want to stay in your halls eventually

ReputationRep:
    I can't advise going into halls enough. My first year was one of the best experiences ever. There's always something interesting going on and if you want to do work just lock your door/put a sign up, people will generally understand. If it's a campus uni you will be closer to everything. It's generally cheaper plus it's much less hassle than dealing with a landlord.

My cousin is in his first year at uni and I was trying to persuade him to go into halls. For whatever reason he decided against it and now commutes about 30 mins to get to uni. I don't think he's been to many nights out with people at the uni and personally I don't think he's getting the whole uni experience.

If you can go to halls and invite friends over if you really want to see them.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.