Italy 'to follow France with Muslim full-face veil ban' Watch

FinishHim!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Article.

The country's equal opportunities minister, Mara Carfagna, said the Italian government would work more closely on four draft bills on the burqa and niqab already circulating in parliamentary committees.

This week a French parliamentary committee called for women wearing the niqab — a veil with just a gap for the eyes that is worn with a long robe — to be refused access to public transport, schools, universities, post offices and hospitals.

Ms Carfagna, a former showgirl who prime minister Silvio Berlusconi made a minister in May 2008, said: “I completely agree with the French initiative, which I think will push other European countries and hence, also Italy, to enact laws on this issue.

“This is about a sacrosanct battle to defend the dignity and rights of immigrant women. A law is being studied that would ban the use of a burqa and niqab, which are not religious symbols — that's not us saying it, but the top religious authorities of the Islamic world, like the imams of Cairo and Paris.”
Do you think other countries, including Britain will soon follow suit? Or will this just be limited to France and Italy?

Do you agree with this? Note, that it seems a full ban is not on the cards, just in certain places.
Iapetus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
“This is about a sacrosanct battle to defend the dignity and rights of immigrant women"

In b4 muslim girl ****-storm saying that they have no problems with traditional dress.
I had thought that the reason for the veil being banned was security related - in the same way that thugs can't wear balaclavas. Obviously this minister thinks otherwise.
LivingMemory
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I hope the police will be sitting outside all weddings, waiting to arrest the bride.
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Omfg.
Pheonixx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This reminds me of dominoes....
moonlight_freakout
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hopefully Italy'll do it too!
Lord Hysteria
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LivingMemory)
I hope the police will be sitting outside all weddings, waiting to arrest the bride.
People wear black veils in weddings?!!!!
Diaz89
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not surprised when it's Prime Minister thinks this=
http://www.euronews.net/2010/01/29/b...ganised-crime/
then evidently such things would arise.
LivingMemory
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lord Hysteria)
People wear black veils in weddings?!!!!

Welllll, I guess perhaps not.
jamesdoute
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't see what the fuss is about so what if they are different. Next we will be targeting PUNKS and GOTHIC - WHO ALSO dress differently

Probably another crusade against Muslims
Casse
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well I'm not suprised. Berlusconi & Co. have no idea about modesty considering he hires a bunch of showgirls to his cabinet. The same can be said of Sarkozy with a wife that made her name posing nude. These are the last people to talk a about female dignity.
mrluvaluva
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
totally agree with it
Faith01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That's piss take!
shark67
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I can tell you one thing. This will NEVER happen in Britain.
Joy Division
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by shark67)
I can tell you one thing. This will NEVER happen in Britain.
No, because we are so much better than that. Government has no right to continue its assault on people's freedoms.
Moe Lester
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This is a surprise?
paella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I dislike it, because if the muslims cannot go to France or Italy, they'll come here - and until Labour gets voted out they'll just pile up and make a mess.
Faith01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Joy Division)
No, because we are so much better than that. Government has no right to continue its assault on people's freedoms.
Well said!
letsdothetimewarpagain
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I doubt Britain will ever follow suit ;p:
khalaf
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Security reasons, that's all well and good. But dignity? No one needs them to intervene. :stupid: "OMG Poor mozlim womenz are forced to wear their hijjabz, we'll put them out of their misery..." ********s.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (225)
27.85%
No (583)
72.15%

Watched Threads