Turn on thread page Beta

Italy 'to follow France with Muslim full-face veil ban' watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not-another-number)
    If it's for security reasons, that's good.
    If I'm not allowed my hood up in public, others shouldn't be able to wear a veil in these same places.
    The same rights should apply to all.
    It doesn't say its for security reasons (which is a weak argument anyway).

Who is stopping you from wearing your hood in public? Except for in exceptional circumstances?

Ideally all the arguments for and against, without any politics should be laid out for everybody and there should be a referendum. I say this even as a muslim, because we live in a non-muslim country and we should respect the views/wishes of the people. I am not talking about the burka or hijab though, there should be no problem with that. The hijab & burka are no different from what a nun wears. I do however understand some people being uncomfortable with the face veil.

It would put an end to the matter once the majority have spoke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hadouken)
    First Switzerland, now France and Italy this will only pave the way for other 'democratic' countries to jump on the bandwagon.
    But these moves are 'democratic' the majority of Swiss voted for the minaret thing and the majority of French people back this ban.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badboy1)
    how can we live in a democarcy when only a few people at the top make the decisions, and pretend wat we care when they want us to vote, i dont think they care about us, words of MJ, were like puppets in game og the illuminate, watch arrivals at wakeupproject.com and all will be revealed
    Actually it is in Muslims interests that only a few at the top make the decisions or they would be having a much harder time of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hadouken)
    First Switzerland, now France and Italy this will only pave the way for other 'democratic' countries to jump on the bandwagon.
    I wouldn't get too worried, the UK will never do anything like this as long as the BNP aren't elected. Also, you were deluding yourself if you thought any country other than perhaps Switzerland are truly democratic (although it seems like your definition of "democratic" might be "people in charge who only do what I like" ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Apollo)
    I wouldn't get too worried, the UK will never do anything like this as long as the BNP aren't elected
    You do realise the guy that came second in the last general election wanted to scrap the human rights act don't you?

You know, the guy that lost by 3% of the vote?

(Original post by Iapetus)
    I had thought that the reason for the veil being banned was security related - in the same way that thugs can't wear balaclavas. Obviously this minister thinks otherwise.
    Idiot, balaclavas are perfectly legal to wear in public. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    Police would have reasonable suspicion to stop you and make you take it off however.

(Original post by RyanT)
    Police would have reasonable suspicion to stop you and make you take it off however.
    You might find yourself being stopped every now and then, but nonetheless, they're perfectly legal.

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty it is not a major major issue. It is being made into a major issue.

France itself has about 400 people who wear the Niqab. Why is a ban necessary for them?

Its a statement, one that will ultimately cause more divisions.

ReputationRep:
    Should that law be introduced here in the UK? No.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't these garments illegal in Turkey?

(Original post by Moe Lester)
    Aren't these garments illegal in Turkey?
    In public buildings like schools and universities, yes. I don't agree with it, but that's how it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    I'm not surprised when it's Prime Minister thinks this=
    http://www.euronews.net/2010/01/29/b...ganised-crime/
    then evidently such things would arise.
    I love that. How can such a corrupt politician be so critical?

ReputationRep:
    In public buildings like schools and universities, yes. I don't agree with it, but that's how it is.
    How common is the full veil in Turkey?

ReputationRep:
    Folk wanted to join the Hitler Youth, just because they want to doesn't make it okay...however OP for the record I am against any such ban however stupid the veil is.
    I think it does make it okay, you cannot compare the veil to hitler youth on any level. I'm also not a fan of it, but still if they want to, I don't see why goverment should dictate what people wear unless it's for a good reason.

How common is the full veil in Turkey?
    Very rare. The simple headscarf is much more common.

ReputationRep:
    People here who own shops and places should be allowed whether they allow the burqa or not.

Some idiot could put the burqa on, steal something and get away with it!!!

EDIT
    I just don't think it should be banned

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's about time they banned the slave sheet over here too.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    If you are a female and say go to Iran you HAVE to wear a cloth covering your hair all the time from the moment the plan has landed, this is supposedly out of politeness and being nice to your guests.
    But when they come over here why should they wear something that obviously makes the rest of us uncomfortable, i really dislike the fact that when i walk down the street i see people in full gear, i cant see there face and that makes me uncomfortable, in my street let alone in an airport or train station where i have no idea what they may be hiding beneath that robe.
    So i hope the UK DOES take this up, because it is a security threat and they are coming here and we should decide what the law is and not listen to there concerns, they are here because we were nice and let them in they should conform, just as we do when we go there.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.